Windows Server 2003

i am getting rather desperate. I have installed windows 2003 RTM twice, but I still can't download anything from the Microsoft site. I tried directx 9.0a websetup and other files. I only get an error: this page cannot be displayed, or DNS error. I can download ALL other files i tried from the internet. It looks like I am blacklisted on parts of the microsoft-site. I allready tried to set security-level to minimum, trust all sites, enable all cookies. I can download everything under windows 2000. Is there anyone who has an idea?

i am getting rather desperate. I have installed windows 2003 RTM twice, but I still can't download anything from the Microsoft site. I tried directx 9.0a websetup and other files. I only get an error: this page cannot be displayed, or DNS error. I can download ALL other files i tried from the internet. It looks like I am blacklisted on parts of the microsoft-site. I allready tried to set security-level to minimum, trust all sites, enable all cookies. I can download everything under windows 2000. Is there anyone who has an idea?

Could be due to the IE hardening pack.

Could be due to the IE hardening pack.

heh, what can I say... noobs trying to run a server OS as a workstation just for the hell of having the latest version.. :whistle:

Mearly pointing out the vast opputunities that the enterprise version offers and its being used for games, to me that is dumb.

understandable.

i mainly installed it to test it out before we upgrade at work (plus, i'm upgrading my win2000 msca to 2003) . . . but in the midst of my testing and studying, a game of q3a or ut2k3 doesn't hurt. :)

you can use a program called "NTSwitch" it's just a little registry editing thing that makes programs think your Win2k3 Server is a workstation. Don't know if it's against the rules or not to post it here so I'm not gonna take the chance until I get an all clear :)

heh, what can I say... noobs trying to run a server OS as a workstation just for the hell of having the latest version.. :whistle:

hey come on now!! :) I like to have all the new toys, after all....there wouldnt be a tutorial on how to change from server to workstation on neowin if people weren't going to do it, am i correct? :cool:

Then you'll be waiting a long time. The whole point of the VLK system in XP was to allow administrators to deploy XP over thousands of workstations without having to worry about activating each. Since 2003 is server only, there will be no VLKs. Sysadmins will have to activate their copies of Windows Server no matter where they work, which shouldn't really be a problem, given the number of servers that are likely to be running it in any one (even large) enterprise.

No matter how much I go over this, nobody seems to listen, so I'll say it one last time - there are, and will be no Volume License Keys coming out for Windows Server 2003.

There will be volume licensing keys for Windows Server 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resourc...vol/default.asp

(We also just received our key today ) :)

I had this conversation with some idiot last night. I finally had to block him from my buddy list as he was just trying to start an argument with me. He was telling me how 2K3 was so cool for gaming. I tried to explain to him that if he ever gets a job working in any IT field he should probably not tell anyone how many frames per second he gets playing Quake III on his 2K3 Enterprize Edition. There is a reason MS releases Server products and Workstation products. There is a reason I run 2K Advanced Server in the Comm Room and 2K Pro on all the workstations (at work). There is a reason I run XP Pro on all my boxes at home. Unless I plan on doing some webhosting/admin'ing a 20 seat LAN/etc. I don't think there is anything XP Pro will not be able to do for me at home. Besides, why on earth would I need a Enterprize version of anything at home to hook up to my cable/dsl connection? (Ruunning any software at home for educational purposes is fully understandable) Most compaines will not even upgrade for another 2-3yrs after 2K3 comes out. We just finished migration from win98 to win2k on all the workstations here at work.

I had this conversation with some idiot last night. I finally had to block him from my buddy list as he was just trying to start an argument with me. He was telling me how 2K3 was so cool for gaming. I tried to explain to him that if he ever gets a job working in any IT field he should probably not tell anyone how many frames per second he gets playing Quake III on his 2K3 Enterprize Edition. There is a reason MS releases Server products and Workstation products. There is a reason I run 2K Advanced Server in the Comm Room and 2K Pro on all the workstations (at work). There is a reason I run XP Pro on all my boxes at home. Unless I plan on doing some webhosting/admin'ing a 20 seat LAN/etc. I don't think there is anything XP Pro will not be able to do for me at home. Besides, why on earth would I need a Enterprize version of anything at home to hook up to my cable/dsl connection? (Ruunning any software at home for educational purposes is fully understandable) Most compaines will not even upgrade for another 2-3yrs after 2K3 comes out. We just finished migration from win98 to win2k on all the workstations here at work.

Well said...

I happen to be running Win03 on a spare machine at home strictly for educational purposes (mainly so I can get a jump on the exams when they come out) but my primary OS at home is XP... I would never consider running games on a server product. Just my 2 cents...

Well said...

I happen to be running Win03 on a spare machine at home strictly for educational purposes (mainly so I can get a jump on the exams when they come out) but my primary OS at home is XP... I would never consider running games on a server product. Just my 2 cents...

Well said couldn't agree more.

I want to install 2K3 to learn the product for exams and work.

well... i use Win2k3 only becuase it has things that i don't want in XP removed from the os....

( and the server add things i don't want to.... so after i had try it out..... i willl proberly go back to XP.....)

Something added to my list.... apart from SP2.... i really want to get XPlite......... from former 98lite or currently litepc.....