Taskbar + Desktop (Explorer) needs 15 Minutes

hm..

however it didn't show applications in the taskbar plus a few other things
seems to depend on wich service u kill.. if I kill a svchost for example (only 1 or 2 are essential) i can see all icons etc.. maybee sth. other won't work. but don't ever tested it.. thx for the /a hint... didn't know it before....

Let me know if u have a solution.. I will post one for sure, if I have one ^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

omg!, I finally fixed it. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but it was one of two things

firstly I updated my ide drivers (although I have tried this before i think)

and secondly I changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CdRom\Autorun

to 0 instead of 1 (aparently it caused problems in win nt 4, so I though hey why not)

Anyway I'm happy that i can boot in 30 seconds instead of 10 minutes now

and hopefully this fixes it for other people

ok i was wrong, it isn't fixed =(, it booted fast cos i installed the wrong driver so it disabled the secondary ide controller. so it boots fast but i can't use my cd drives.

Well at least you've tracked the fault down to your secondary IDE controller, Two things to check I guess are make sure you have the latest 9and correct) IDE controllers installed (for me I have a Via board, so getting the latest 4 in 1's is easy, then check your bios and make sure you have the right access mode set for your drives. For CD Rom drives it should be DMA mode 3, for Harddrives it should be DMA mode 4 5 or 6 for drives that are ATA 66 100 and 133 respectively. Also try changing the adressing mode of your harddisks to LBA (if your having problems with these too). In my experience, if you know what the problem is, its always possible to fix it. (You could always buy an IDE contrloller card I guess - at least it will come with suitable uptodate drivers).

Q

yeah i've got the latest drivers installed, it still happens

i'm updating the firmware on both drives (Aopen 48x12x50 and Liteon DVD LT163D)

will see if that helps

then i'll try each drive on the channel seperately

then I'll plug it into my ide controller card (have one for my 3rd and 4th hdds)

well i unplugged my cd writer and got a nice fast bootup, does this mean theres something wrong with my cdrw?, cos this never used to happen under any other OS I've run with this setup.

yeah basically everything is updated to the latest versions

drivers, bios, firmware...

even formatted and reinstalled.

Not that I need to reboot this computer often.

well i unplugged my cd writer and got a nice fast bootup, does this mean theres something wrong with my cdrw?, cos this never used to happen under any other OS I've run with this setup.

i've had a very slow boot on a CDRom drive when DMA access has been fried. That could be it. Do you have anoyjer CD drive to try?

Q

(Ps it isn't unusual for certain components to be incompatable/cause problems when used under other OS', It is another OS after all. You may need to ask your Manufacturer for a compatable firmware upgrade. But I woudn't hold my breath).

interesting to flick thru the list of things being fixed in SP1

817472 - IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur

Could be to do with DHCP, had this problem ages ago with Windows XP Professional Edition. Assign static IPs to your network cards.

DHCP is overrated anyway.

i have a problem that sounds sorta like this in XP pro, after i log in everything seems like its loading, but the icon for the network connection and the sound doesnt show up in the taskbar, and about 1 min after i get to the desktop it locks up, but im not using DHCP, i specify my own ip and dns. if you have a fix for that can you PM me it?

• 8 months later...

I know its a bit of an old post, just thought I'd mention that Aopen have released a new firmware for the cdrw 4850 which solves this problem, I didn't see any download links on their main site and had to email someone to get it.