• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nikon D90 vs. Canon EOS 40D

Yusuf M.    1,367

Alright, here's my story... I currently own a Canon EOS 40D and I have an opportunity to sell it and buy a Nikon D90 which will put me at +$300. I also plan on selling my Tamron 28-75mm lens so that's more cash. Furthermore, I own a Canon Speedlite 430EX II which I can easily exchange for a Nikon SB-800 Speedlight IR.

My question to you is simple. Should I switch over to the dark side and get the extra cash or should I stick with my current camera, lens, and mounted flash. Right now, I'm leaning more toward the Nikon D90. I could use the extra cash too.

What do you think?

Edited by Anaron

neocyber_16    0

If you like the D90 and its features why not? Its your money and its your call. But to be honest though, you have a really good camera right in front of you. Having the D90 won't make a better photographer, it may add a few features that may help you take better photos (and video). i.e. High ISO. but if your camera is working fine, and there is nothing wrong with it, than I'd keep it and buy better glass. Either way, there both excellent cameras in the end.

giga    46

D90 and 40D cost the same, not sure how you can make $300 off of it.

I'd stick with what you have, because as said above, a D90 won't give you better photos or make you better.

crazzy88ss    66

If this was a "which to buy" I'd lean to the D90, but since you already have a 40D, there's really no point...

Yusuf M.    1,367

True, but I have a buyer lined up for my camera and the main pushing factor is the money. I could sell the 40D and get the D90 at a very cheap price from a trusted seller. Making the switch puts $300 into my pocket which I could then use to buy better glass. I figured it would be a smart move. I'm not so sure anymore. :unsure:

sambrentnall    1

I see this as a smart move as long as your seller is trusty. Im a nikon guy buy the way ;)

!

It sounds like you only own one extra lens for the 40D so it would be easy to sell and buy the lens's for the D90!

Yusuf M.    1,367

My original plan was to sell my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Lens and buy an AF-Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Lens. The only thing that's left is the mounted flash which I can easily exchange for a Nikon one. I think I'll go through with it. The extra money I'd be making is really tempting me, plus trying out a Nikon would be a nice change.

Brandon    299

Eh. I don't think its worth it. If it were a D300, I'd be all over it, but the D90 doesn't really impress me all that much in comparison. The video is just a gimick.

Whats the reason you think you want to switch over anyways? For me, going from Nikon to Canon was due to the price of the Canon lenses are generally cheaper then the Nikon equivelent.

giga    46

I'm not sure how one can live with just a 50mm prime on a crop body..

Yusuf M.    1,367
Eh. I don't think its worth it. If it were a D300, I'd be all over it, but the D90 doesn't really impress me all that much in comparison. The video is just a gimick.

Whats the reason you think you want to switch over anyways? For me, going from Nikon to Canon was due to the price of the Canon lenses are generally cheaper then the Nikon equivelent.

The main reason is the money. Making the switch allows me to have an extra $300 to spend. I could use that money to buy another lens.

I'm not sure how one can live with just a 50mm prime on a crop body..

I wouldn't be limited to a 50mm prime. The D90 comes with an 18-55mm kit lens. Also, I plan on buying either an 18-200mm or 70-300mm zoom lens.

giga    46

I don't see that as much of a savings then since the 28-75 is a better lens than the kit.

sundayx    127
What do you think?

I think you're thinking too much and getting too little out of it. Stick with what you have.

Pink Floyd    15

The question is not if you should switch but why? I don't see why you would not be satisfied with your Canon 40D

Yusuf M.    1,367
I don't see that as much of a savings then since the 28-75 is a better lens than the kit.

I was going to sell that and get the same one for the D90.

I think you're thinking too much and getting too little out of it. Stick with what you have.

:/

The question is not if you should switch but why? I don't see why you would not be satisfied with your Canon 40D

I'm not dissatisfied with the 40D. In fact, I'm more than satisfied with it.

In any case, I went through with it and got the D90. I have someone who's going to buy my Tamron 28-75mm lens. I will then use the money to buy the same lens with a Nikon mount.

Here's what I have so far:

• Nikon D90
  • Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G AF-S VR DX Lens
  • Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm F1.4D Lens
  • Nikon SB-800 Speedlight IR

And here's what I had:

• Canon EOS 40D
  • Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4.0 - F5.6 IS USM Lens
  • Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Lens
  • Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Finally, here's what I plan on getting:

• Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Lens (Nikon mount)
  • Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di Macro (Nikon mount)

The switch gave me an extra $300 to spend which I used to buy the 50mm prime. The only extra money coming out of my pocket is for the 70-200mm lens.

crazzy88ss    66

uhhh are you sure that kit lens is an 18-55? It should be the 18-105.... which is not only longer, but a lot sharper.

Also, on the 50 1.4, did you get the old AF or the new AF-S version?

Yusuf M.    1,367
uhhh are you sure that kit lens is an 18-55? It should be the 18-105.... which is not only longer, but a lot sharper.

Also, on the 50 1.4, did you get the old AF or the new AF-S version?

Yes, I'm sure it's the 18-55mm lens. It's right in front of me. Also, the 50mm lens is the newer AF-S model. I'm 100% satisfied with the D90 and I have no regrets after making the switch. It's a smaller and lighter camera with the same image quality as the 40D. To be honest, I think it's slightly better. I can't wait to get my hands on the two Tamron lenses.

crazzy88ss    66

How on earth did you end up with an 18-55 kit lens? They only make it with no lens or t he 18-105... This guy you bought it from obviously switched it out on you.

giga    46

Amazon sells the D90 with the 18-55.

Question about the D90: does it display the iso in the viewfinder at all times? The D300 fixed this problem with the D200 so I'm wondering if they did it on the D90 as well.

crazzy88ss    66

You can turn that on and off. In place of the ISO it'll have the number of pictures remaining on your memory card.

Where's that 18-55 kit? I can't seem to find it.

giga    46

Bleh nevermind, it was the D80 that included it not the D90.

giga    46
Yes, I'm sure it's the 18-55mm lens. It's right in front of me. Also, the 50mm lens is the newer AF-S model. I'm 100% satisfied with the D90 and I have no regrets after making the switch. It's a smaller and lighter camera with the same image quality as the 40D. To be honest, I think it's slightly better. I can't wait to get my hands on the two Tamron lenses.

Wait a sec, how did you get the af-s 50mm? It's not released yet..

Yusuf M.    1,367
How on earth did you end up with an 18-55 kit lens? They only make it with no lens or t he 18-105... This guy you bought it from obviously switched it out on you.

As far as I know there are two official D90 kits: the 18-55mm kit and 18-105mm kit. I ended up with the 18-55mm kit. It even says it on the box. I highly doubt the person I bought it from would make a fake box just to bundle a different lens.

You can turn that on and off. In place of the ISO it'll have the number of pictures remaining on your memory card.

Where's that 18-55 kit? I can't seem to find it.

Yep, I actually just changed it on my D90. By default it has the number of pictures left on your memory card.

Wait a sec, how did you get the af-s 50mm? It's not released yet..

Is this the AF-S 50mm you're talking about? If so, then I assure you it's released because I bought it from here. I'd take a picture of it but I don't have a memory card yet.

Diffused Mind    0

The AF-S 50mm hasn't been released yet; it will be in December.

crazzy88ss    66

The link you linked... has it for $560, so you took a big hit since it's not $300?

And I'm still having a hard time believing the 18-55 VR kit... I've never seen/heard of it. The only thing I can find is an "unofficial" 18-55 + 55-200 VR kit.

Yusuf M.    1,367
The AF-S 50mm hasn't been released yet; it will be in December.

Maybe the store accidentally sold it early. Have they even started shipping the lens? I'd hate to have a prototype model.

The link you linked... has it for $560, so you took a big hit since it's not $300?

And I'm still having a hard time believing the 18-55 VR kit... I've never seen/heard of it. The only thing I can find is an "unofficial" 18-55 + 55-200 VR kit.

I was able to acquire it at 50% off the regular price. It came to $316 after taxes so it was no problem. I had a spare $20 in my wallet anyway.

Really? Hmmm... I'll be sure to take a picture of the box for you. It clearly says "D90 with AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Zoom Lens".

Anyway, is the Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II DX Nikkor Zoom Lens any good? I want a good 'walkaround' lens.