Windows 7 Build 695x revealed at WinHEC 2008 China

your screenshots show the exact same recently used item list (in the same order!) in the start menu. it's kindof obvious

You got me there.

no, it is a complete pc backup, it contains the correct folder structure and catalogue. complete pc backup uses vhd files to store the data.

Ambroos, you do know that the ISO was made using the vhd right?

The original leak was a vhd file. Someone loaded it and made the ISO thank you.

I've played with the older version for a few days before I reformatted and the thing I notice is there is no need for a third party codec to play xvid, divx, and mp4 files; hope they keep that in the final built. Also I notice that ISO file show up as a file type which could mean we can burn without third party applications.

What's the build date for 6956 btw? That should give us a clue about where the builds could be come that beta date.

My guess is probably for a nice build number of 6970.

The extra bits following the build number is always

6xxx.winmain.YYMMDD-HHMM

You got me there.

Owned. :p

Honestly I don't think anyone has legit access to 695x yet on Connect or wherever at the moment, and those who do shouldn't be leaking screenshots to begin with. There's a reason why Paul Thurrott's most recent 695x shots have the build numbers wiped out.

Wow, totally works great. I've been playing with it for a while now and it's still ooh so good.

I copied the data out the VHD to a external HD, then i removed the drive from my laptop - using an external thing and then copied the data from one to the other using a Ubuntu live CD to copy data to the other. Then booted up, used the repair disc and then it booted (removed 6801 totally after formatting the C drive and putting 6956 there now).

Still totally sweet!

I've played with the older version for a few days before I reformatted and the thing I notice is there is no need for a third party codec to play xvid, divx, and mp4 files; hope they keep that in the final built. Also I notice that ISO file show up as a file type which could mean we can burn without third party applications.

Yes, both those features they announced during the WinHEC keynote ;)

The new Windows boot screen looks very slick but Microsoft needs to drop the lame "Ultimate" moniker.

This is the ultimate version, there's nothing to drop from it. They develop the main version with all of the features and then split it into different versions when it gets closer to ship.

Hmm. This build seems to be working better than 6801 as everyone says.

Anyone else having issues with battery icon (notebook obviously) not updating "remaning time" unless you click on it? That wasn't an issue in 6801 but the other good thing is that i'm noticing that 6956 will normally tell me i have 6Hrs+ remaining version Vista would only give me an estimate of 4-5hrs. Granted i haven't fully run down the battery just yet but i'm testing that now. That's how i came to notice the battery bug anyways.

(This is from the VHD install - not the ISO. I might do that later anyways)

Are you sure you're seeing a bug?

When you first unplug, the battery icon won't show an estimated remaining time. That's because immediately after unplugging the estimate is likely to be way off. So it waits a minute or two to collect enough data to show a reasonable estimate.

does anyone else have a problem where after a few hours of use, explorer will stop working?

it mostly happens if i browse my windows home server and cancel a folder refresh when its building thumbnails of videos. after that, browsing to another folder doesnt work (just a progress bar in the address box), loading my computer or any other folder results in a blank content area and blank address bar.

when this happens, it also affects things like action center.

if i kill explorer and reload it, i get an "The RPC server is unavailable".

before you bash me for moaning about a bug in a leaked version, i'm just interested in seeing if anyone else has the same problem :)

no, actually i haven been unplugged for a while now. I know i was talking about the stated battery life being 6hrs+ but i was unplugged for a while before i noticed it (30mins - which is why i was shocked it was still saying 6hrs+ normally it's closer to 4hrs by then (Y) ).

I started typing this message at 1:20pm EST and waiting till 1:30PM EST to submit it to see if it would change. I'm playing music in WMP as a way to use up some battery life. Either my battery life has gotten better or it's not updating till i click it and the popup comes showing a different time. Once i hover (after clicking) it shows the time that wsa shown in the popup.

(then again this is the VHD that was from someone else's system so maybe some issues are left over from that or something. If i had a clean install i'd be more worried. But it's still a beta as well :) )

Hey Brandon I must say, thanks for being so open and listening to people's problems.. It really shows you care about the product. I must say I am loving 6956. I will definately buy 7 the day its released as I did with Vista.. Although I got flamed for it until SP1 :p

I like that Windows Classic was fixed up in 6956. The windows don't have fat borders anymore, and the Windows flag looks much better than it did in Vista.

However, is there a way to get rid of the ugly Fixedsys text on the power button? Changing the theme's font doesn't do it, leading me to believe it's some kind of hard-coded button.

WRONG!

Every measurement the Windows team conducts is the time until the desktop is responsive (user can click on the start button and open Notepad, Explorer, etc).

Really? Wow, lol, that is pretty cool.

They've also fixed the bug in 6801 where if I tried to click the Start Menu button, sometimes it wouldn't open until I clicked off then clicked it again. :D

Yup yup.. noticed that bug in 6801 too :) I haven't had it yet in 6956 but who says it's not there still :) I'm sure they fixed that though or will by RTM if some people are still affected. :)

Also, when installing to a virtual machine, the Aero cursors weren't selected by default, but they were when I did a native installation on my Dell notebook.

Anyone also notice that most of the Aero window colors have ben renamed? "Default" has become "Sky," for example.