Installing windows 2000

Hehe i tried 2 diffrent sets already, still did the same thing. Would it have anything to do with my keyboard or something? It turned on numlock when it restarted with the win2k floppy in. But without it, its off.

Hehe i tried 2 diffrent sets already, still did the same thing. Would it have anything to do with my keyboard or something? It turned on numlock when it restarted with the win2k floppy in. But without it, its off.

I doubt it man. Do you have any friends living closeby using win2k? You can clear the floppies then use their pc to create new boot disks or just borrow their cd and install it. Maybe someone else can give you a few tips. :)

system restore. it's saved me from reinstalling MANY times.

I Agree..

Though one could argue... u could just install Goback on the 2k machine and have the same sort of thing or better for 2k.. but the question was what is good in xp.. and sence system restore comes preinstalled... itz all good

I doubt it man. Do you have any friends living closeby using win2k? You can clear the floppies then use their pc to create new boot disks or just borrow their cd and install it. Maybe someone else can give you a few tips. :)

Hehe nope, but the thing is windows 2000 setup starts and it says "please insert floppy disc 2" so i do so it can go on with installing. But to go on i need to press enter and it wont let me. I have no clue why... :no:

You can also boot from a Windows 98 Startup Disc, and use Format C:/u/q to format Drive C.

Then you can Install Windows 2000 by type x:\...\I386\winnt (x is your CD-ROM).

By the way, if you boot from a Windows 98 Startup Disc, you must load SMARTDRV.EXE, or Windows 2000 will setup very slowly.

Heh, name one good feature that doesn't exist in 2kpro?

I'm running Service Pack 3 and have had one Blue Screen since I installed it last semester. (I had neglected to apply a hotfix so I got smbdied...)

I've got XP and I've had no blue screens this year!

I upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 today and got a huge 1000 points boost in 3DMark2001 SE build 300. Does anyone else think this is weird?? I'm wondering if old MS release new slower drivers for older OS's to try fase them out.

system restore. it's saved me from reinstalling MANY times.

Only screw up I ever had (when my power cord went bad and caused 2kpro to shut down very weirdly in half hibernation) I recovered using the LAst Known Good Configuration. Fixed Immediately. System Restore is a waste of Hard drive space... It did nothing fo me in Me...

And for a windows tweaking forum, I am surprised that people with XP don't know that a registry setting deliberately hides blue screens...

And for a windows tweaking forum, I am surprised that people with XP don't know that a registry setting deliberately hides blue screens...

It's available through an easily accessible dialog! The setting is the first thing I disable when I install as with most people. Do you have some sort of vendetta against XP?

post-11-1049678970.jpg

It's available through an easily accessible dialog! The setting is the first thing I disable when I install as with most people. Do you have some sort of vendetta against XP?

Since that is the same as 2kpro, that is clearly not what I was talking about. Nice try.

Since that is the same as 2kpro, that is clearly not what I was talking about.  Nice try.

Love the attitude. (N)

Okay, so what ARE you talking about then? What registry entry "delibrately" hides the blue screen? I certaintly haven't come across it.

You can also boot from a Windows 98 Startup Disc, and use Format C:/u/q to format Drive C.

Then you can Install Windows 2000 by type x:\...\I386\winnt (x is your CD-ROM).

By the way, if you boot from a Windows 98 Startup Disc, you must load SMARTDRV.EXE, or Windows 2000 will setup very slowly.

doesn't work with 2k, but it does with XP why?

Love the attitude. (N)

Okay, so what ARE you talking about then? What registry entry "delibrately" hides the blue screen? I certaintly haven't come across it.

Hmm, looks like I may have relied on a slightly conflicting report.

But still, I know what I tried. Any OS that has such extreme problems running in my 184 MB of RAM is crap to me. Installing SP1 caused it to slow down even more, which of course, Microsoft now admits...

2kpro... 7 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes, 16 seconds since Installing DirectX 9a. No crashes since last November when I was smbdied... (Fixed in XP SP1 and will be fixed in SP4 since it is currently a "Pre-SP4 Hotfix")

A windows 98 boot disk will not work on a system with Windows 2000 installed if the hard drive has been formatted using the NTFS file system.

Love the attitude. (N)

But still, I know what I tried. Any OS that has such extreme problems running in my 184 MB of RAM is crap to me. Installing SP1 caused it to slow down even more, which of course, Microsoft now admits...

2kpro... 7 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes, 16 seconds since Installing DirectX 9a. No crashes since last November when I was smbdied... (Fixed in XP SP1 and will be fixed in SP4 since it is currently a "Pre-SP4 Hotfix")

That I'll agree with, XP gobbles up a lot of RAM, a lot more so than 2k, it's certaintly not a good option for people with less than 256 MB of RAM such as yourself. However, RAM is as cheap as chips these days, and for me, the advantages that XP offers are worth it. And if you chuck XP in a system with 512 MB of RAM or higher, it's noticeabely a lot faster than 2k (in my experience).

As for that problem with SP1 causing programs to load up slower, that's been addressed by a hotfix and is no longer a problem. Hell, 2k has it's fair share of problems back in pre-SP1, post-SP1 land.

Where were Cleartype, System Restore, themes then? I didn't see them in Windows 2000! I don't have any Blue Screens because I can set up my computer properly. And don't tell me they are pointless because I am using two of them right now.

Cleartype is indeed something I miss from WinXP

System Restore just sucks in my opinion, it just wastes disk space. Whenever I would sink low enough to do a restore, I just format -- cleaner and faster.

And themes ARE a waste in my opinion, they just waste precious ressources. They look good tho.

in my opinion, themes seem a waste of resources to me, I am sure this is what bogs down XP the most.

XP has a terrible mem management bug, which hasn't been addressed yet(different to the one posted on neowin), noticeable when burning cd's and using daemon tools.

System restore is useful for some people but to me the "last known good configuration" boot option should do just as good job when you screw something up.

However I do miss fast user switching, and the start menu.

Love the attitude. (N)

Yay! Finally, another fellow member of the "I have no RAM club"!

I'm a member of the 192mb Devision, under ordinance XP, with a record online time of 2 weeks :)

Seriously, I'm beginning to agree- XP vs. 2k is all about personal preferance, and what you're system decides to agree with on any given day of the week.

In my case, my comp is on 24/7, XP, it's crashed like twice since december, and the only reason my online-record is only 2 weeks is because I'm a ###### that tweaks alot, and messes s*** up, and is forced to restart alot (weekly changes of shell32.dll = I get to love my boot-sequence)

However, my copy of 2k should be arriving soon, and I'm thinking about giving that a whirl. The only 2 things I really, really like about XP are Themes and Cleartype. Well, screw em both, I started using Litestep as of last week anywho :)

YAY LITESTEP! Who's with me!?

Where were Cleartype, System Restore, themes then? I didn't see them in Windows 2000! I don't have any Blue Screens because I can set up my computer properly. And don't tell me they are pointless because I am using two of them right now.

ClearType hurts my eyes, System Restore is useless and themes suck. Get WindowsBlinds if you really want them. They have a greater selection of themes and they look much better. And you advocate that you set up your computer so well, well then... Why System Restore?

Also, I am sort of a forced member of the I have no RAM club. My laptop came with 64 and I added in a 128 MB SODIMM chip in my only extrension place. Now it is replaced with a 256 MB or 312 total... Still not enough to crank out XP along with only a 700MHz processor.

And now, 3 days after making that first post, 10 days, 0 hours, 54 minutes, 18 seconds. I am getting close to beating my 2kpro record, and hope to beat my Windows Me record uptime. (15 days) I now have 3 restarts pending... yay...

I also dislike cleartype, when enabled the pc performance drops a lot, it lags considerably when highlighting text. Also good point about Windows Blinds.