Thurrott dates Windows 7 Release April 2009 !

My predictions on the Windows 7 release date

There's been a lot of speculation about when Microsoft would ship Windows 7, its eagerly awaited follow-up to Windows Vista. So far, I've suggested that the company would ship Windows 7 far earlier than most people thought. But now I'm ready to make a number of more specific predictions myself, and add to the speculation. It's pretty widely known that Microsoft will ship a beta release (and a public one at that) of Windows 7 in January. This beta will be the only beta and it will be followed by a single release candidate build, and then the final version, all in quick succession. I expect Windows 7 to be finalized by April 2009 at the latest, and to be completed simultaneously with Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2), which is also due in April. (Windows 7 and SP2 share more code than people realize as well, by the way.) Windows 7 will be made broadly available to consumers and business customers no later than June 2009. And those, folks, are my predictions for the release of Windows 7.

Wow! I hope we dont find so many bugs on the beta in january.

It might perhaps go out to OEMs etc in April, but I think that's WAY too soon. In fact if it were to come out that soon i'd be very suspicious of the quality.... they can't afford to have another vista on their hands.

Although saying that, 7 is more of a Vista R2, basically just fixing up all the shoddy work they rushed out then, so a lot of the work is already done.

maybe it'll be ready for RTM at that time..

anyway considernig that 6801 is a prebeta its been quite stable. been using it for a month and been quite surprising

also.. seems that win7 is building a lot on the big changes that vista brough, and since vista rtm'd 2 years ago they have had quite a bit of time to do a lot of work and improvements that we've seen recently

It might perhaps go out to OEMs etc in April, but I think that's WAY too soon. In fact if it were to come out that soon i'd be very suspicious of the quality.... they can't afford to have another vista on their hands.

Although saying that, 7 is more of a Vista R2, basically just fixing up all the shoddy work they rushed out then, so a lot of the work is already done.

Vista was fine. It was third parties who didn't update their drivers and programs that was the problem.

Paul's prediction isn't too far off. Microsoft was quoted at one point of estimating sometime around June 9, 2009, and this prediction would meet that date. Build 6801, in the time that I've used it, has proven to be very reliable for me.

I think he is correct, Microsoft it seems has learned from the Vista debacle and is pushing full steam ahead with Windows 7. Also I believe they are in a hurry to undermine Apple and their release of Snow Leopard....

I think he is correct, Microsoft it seems has learned from the Vista debacle and is pushing full steam ahead with Windows 7. Also I believe they are in a hurry to undermine Apple and their release of Snow Leopard....

Why? Snow Leopard will do for Mac OS X what Vista already did for Windows.

that sounds way to early

i'd have guessed more august time.

I thought so too, but he does have a point. Only one beta and then one RC, doe point to an earlier RTM. But he does say it won't be released until June. Sort like Vista (RTM in Nov; released in Jan).

Paul may be right on the money with this one. M3 is pretty rock solid IMO.

Why? Snow Leopard will do for Mac OS X what Vista already did for Windows.

Actually Snow Leopard is exactly what Vista was not. 10.6 is performance oriented and not GUI oriented as was Vista.

Think Windows 98SE... or Vista R2.

Thats how I feel 7 will be... Vista's annoyances tweaked with a new taskbar.

I also feel its way too soon... but I could see an April 2009 release happening, providing there are no major major additions from here on.

Edited by shockz

Actually Snow Leopard is exactly what Vista was not. 10.6 is performance oriented and not GUI oriented as was Vista.

Not quite. Vista made many major improvements to the kernel and underlying framework, as will Snow Leopard. And Vista also brought hardware acceleration to the user interface (by utilizing the GPU instead of the CPU), as will Snow Leopard. Thus, Vista is very similar to Snow Leopard, in terms of why it was created.

It sound early based upon the Vista development schedule but we all know how much of a disaster that was (the development, not the product). The reality is that the internals aren't being redesigned but streamlined and tweaked. There was only a year and a half between Windows 2000 and XP and the difference between Vista and Win7 is looking to be closer to two and a half years. The emphasis has really changed and there is no reason that Microsoft can't deliver a substantially improved operating system in the timeframe provided. I just hope that the feature list is considerably improved or the price is considerably dropped because, despite the clearly progress, I'm not convinced of its value at present. At least I hope there will be a cheap upgrade option for Vista users.

Not quite. Vista made many major improvements to the kernel and underlying framework, as will Snow Leopard.

Those improvements were mainly "slow as hell" file I/O and scheduler problems which affected audio and network to name a few. Most have probably been addressed already, but as it came out, it certainly wasn't an improvement in performance.

And Vista also brought hardware acceleration to the user interface (by utilizing the GPU instead of the CPU), as will Snow Leopard. Thus, Vista is very similar to Snow Leopard, in terms of why it was created.

You're confusing things there. The GPU accelerated interface has been in OSX for years and years, Snow Leopard is going to support the OpenCL standard, a much more advanced concept.

When I read his article it says FINALIZED

" I expect Windows 7 to be finalized by April 2009 at the latest, and to be completed simultaneously with Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2), which is also due in April. (Windows 7 and SP2 share more code than people "

which means the RTM code is signed off on, that doesn't mean you can purchase it at that time...

Those improvements were mainly "slow as hell" file I/O and scheduler problems which affected audio and network to name a few. Most have probably been addressed already, but as it came out, it certainly wasn't an improvement in performance.

Seriously, is that all you can come up with for the "main improvements"? Sheesh, at least try some impartiality.

When I read his article it says FINALIZED

" I expect Windows 7 to be finalized by April 2009 at the latest, and to be completed simultaneously with Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2), which is also due in April. (Windows 7 and SP2 share more code than people "

which means the RTM code is signed off on, that doesn't mean you can purchase it at that time...

From the source:

Windows 7 will be made broadly available to consumers and business customers no later than June 2009. And those, folks, are my predictions for the release of Windows 7.

Sounds to me that he means it will be available for purchase in his opinion.