Bear Grylls Injured After Antarctic Fall

Daredevil SAS man-turned-explorer Bear Grylls was being airlifted to South Africa last night after being badly injured filming a TV documentary in Antarctica.

The 34-year-old adventurer broke his shoulder in a life-threatening fall and was said to be in ?shock and agony? from a serious fracture which left the bone protruding from his body.

The accident happened at 11pm British time on Friday, and Bear?s insurance company arranged for his evacuation by air ambulance for urgent medical treatment, at an estimated cost of ?60,000.

Bear was injured during the making of his latest daredevil documentary, a bid to scale an unnamed mountain after travelling across the Antarctic on jet-skis, a wind-powered kite-ski and an electric-powered para-glider. The aim of the expedition was to promote alternative energy and bioethanol as a source of power, as well as raising funds for the children?s charity Global Angels.

If successful, Bear and his team of four had planned to name the 9,000ft peak. But it is uncertain if the bid will now be possible, though Bear is reportedly determined to return to Antarctica.

The airlift operation itself was fraught with danger as it meant flying into hostile conditions with temperatures plummeting to -35C and a landscape of 1,000ft ice cliffs with 700 miles of high altitude plateau.

The Discovery Channel crew filming Bear?s expedition as part of its Man v Wild series ? much of which is re-edited and shown on Channel 4?s Born Survivor show ? travelled with him to South Africa and will now film his recovery.

The next series of Born Survivor is due to be screened on Channel 4 in the spring.

[Source]

Yep, he's a fraud. Despite that it's still unfortunate that he got injured. His intentions were just... this time around.

Oh yeah big deal he didn't stay outside every single time he claimed he did.

You watch the shows for the knowledge and because they're interesting, not to get excited because he slept outside.

My point being it's pretty petty, the guy knows his stuff, just because he isn't always subjecting himself to what he's explaining doesn't really matter.

Maybe he should have just eaten a piece of the mountain instead. I think eating questionables is the one survival skill he genuinly possesses, and the reason many people still tune his show in to begin with.

Okay, you guys go do better than him. The shows are interesting, and the guy has done a lot of good work. Better than what some of you will probably contribute to society.

Dude got injured in his line of work and everyone is coming in to be self righteous :laugh:

THAT is petty.

Fraud my ass, that guy eats worms, grubs and live fish. Plus the point of the program is to demonstrate techniques you would use to survive in the wilderness which it clearly does.

I saw an episode where he was in South Dakota's badlands and had to put up with thunderstorms, rattlesnakes and other dangerous conditions. He hardly seems like a fraud to me.

The guy is a fraud when he's filming yes. But you have to bare in mind (pun not intended :p) that this guy used to train the SAS on survival. SAS are some of the hardest people in the world, you'd have to be at least as hard to be able to train them to that level.

Also, at the age of 23 he was the youngest Britain to climb Everest.

So before you start crying "wah wah, he's a fraud, anyone could do that" do some background research first. The TV shows might be staged, but off camera he's solid.

Fraud my ass, that guy eats worms, grubs and live fish. Plus the point of the program is to demonstrate techniques you would use to survive in the wilderness which it clearly does.

People will eat anything if there's a reason to, be it hunger or cash. Anyway, watch this:

These are scenes which were supposedly along a route from Pu'u O'o to the Pacific Ocean in the Kilauea episode of Man vs Wild. Except for the landing site, they were, in fact, a few feet from various roads and highways used by thousands of tourists daily. Update: The original concept was that Bear Grylls would be dropped into remote areas and make his way to civilization with no help. The Discovery Channel removed this episode and several others from circulation after they were shown to be fake. Other early episodes were edited to remove fake scenes and disclose that he received help from the crew. Disclaimers on recent episodes disclose that scenes are staged.

SOURCE

Fraud my ass, that guy eats worms, grubs and live fish.

Big deal? You think you need to be SAS trained to do that? lawl..

Nobody is taking away from what he does on his shows entirely, I don't see anyone replying in that manner? Certainly nobody has said they can do better than him either.

However, someone called him a fraud and there is legit reasons why.

Reading skills ftw :yes:

Yeah, you totally misread my statement. He teaches the techniques used to survive in the wilderness. He's teaching!, IT'S THE SAME INFORMATION WHETHER HIS IN HIS FRONT ROOM OR ON THE TOP OF EVEREST

He's teaching people to hunt? Its a wonder how humanity managed this long without him before he was even born then huh :rolleyes:

Please, natural instinct kicks in when you are in such situations. His show is not gonna save your life.

That's interesting, i guess i saw the episodes after all this - cos all the ones since i first started watching had a disclaimer about some situations being staged for the program, and that might have assistance on hand.

But that seemed to be pretty much common sense, throwing yourself into life-or-death situations every episode might make good TV but wont keep you healty for long lol. Luck runs out eventually ;) i mean the situations are still life-or-death he just explains how to lessen the risk and give u a better chance of survival.

Even the natives teach their young ones to hunt in the wild and your comment about natural instinct is rubbish. I guarantee you wouldn't make it a week if I dropped you into the middle of Patagonia.

Fraud? I don't think any guy who was hard enough to get into the SAS deserved to be called a fraud quite frankly.

I don't watch his show(s) but hope he pulls through!

Please, natural instinct kicks in when you are in such situations. His show is not gonna save your life.

I've seen countless things on the show that would actually save my life if I were in any of the situations.

What not to eat, how to get water in a desert, how to keep warm, what's poisonous/what isn't, etc.

So that comment couldn't be any more ignorant.

Many of the things on the shows you plain and simply wouldn't know about without being told.

Instinct doesn't substitute knowledge. In fact, instinct without knowledge will quickly = death in many of these situations. As explained by Grylls, you're hungry, see a fruit bearing tree, and you're instinct says you must eat. Bam, poisonous tree, you're dead.

So the backdrop/setting being artificially made for some shoots is understandable, it's the actual knowledge and content that's what's important, not the scenery.

So do those so called celebs from "I'm a celebrity get me out of here". Personally I'd rather watch Chris Ryan, I really enjoyed Hunting Chris Ryan :D