Teacher tells students Linux is

Wow, that's just sad.

I love my company and our products, but I don't want such ignorance to be the source of our continued success. People should be aware of all the options and give them each a fair shot.

It also bothers me to have teachers speaking as authorities on topics they clearly are not qualified to speak about. Kids, especially the youngest of them, trust their teachers to be correct and thoughtful in their words and actions. This teacher clearly set a very bad example by treating the student(s) as if they were guilty of something without having any knowledge at all about whether they were actually doing anything wrong. Not only may this lead to passing on her ignorance or misunderstanding of Linux / open source / software, but it teaches these kids to assume the worst about people and that it's best to act as if someone is guilty until you investigate to find out if they really are.

What did you mean by automated tasks? I consider a filter to be an automated task.

User defined and created single file or batch options using the Actions engine. This goes way beyond filters, you can basically make photoshop a fully automated app for EVERYTHING if the needs arises.

yourself for putting into print such none sense.

If you are going to email a teacher, at least proof read your letter.

I was going to joke about the "superior Linux" having no spell check, but "none sense" would have passed in Windows as well.

;)

What OS was it?

Not sure if you are joking or not, but the writers signature says HeliOS.

Yeah, I have tried scripting on the Gimp and believe me, is not as intuitive, easy and app-wide as Photoshop Actions.

Look, I respect you liking open source. Just dont try to pretend (even if its your opinion) than every open app is better than its commercial counterpart. You are enterly free to express your opinion but dont expect to not encounter counter opinions from people who have used both apps and know them. The Gimp is quite good for web images, but cant touch photoshop?s shadow on graphic design. That is my whole point. Ys, you can say that The Gimp has been developed as a different app, yet I dont understand why the Linux community keeps mentioning it as the "photoshop" alternative. If anything, is the Linux version of Paint.Net

Yeah, I have tried scripting on the Gimp and believe me, is not as intuitive, easy and app-wide as Photoshop Actions.

Look, I respect you liking open source. Just dont try to pretend (even if its your opinion) than every open app is better than its commercial counterpart. You are enterly free to express your opinion but dont expect to not encounter counter opinions from people who have used both apps and know them.

Sanctified I respect your opinion too, I guess we both can agree that everyone is entitled to have free speech, and be able to speak their mind without having to worry about consequences from those who do not share the same opinion.

With my previous posts I have not tried to imply that a free open source tool is superior in quality to other commercial solutions for the same task, just because that application is open source and the other is not.

It was not my intention to convert, make others think like me nor suppress their opinions, trying to make theirs less valid than my own.

I will repeat my statement: I believe that free open source software is better because it is free and open source.

With that statement I'm not referring to the quality. Only expressing my personal opinion about the way it is done and its philosophy. You don't have to agree with me on those matters.

The Gimp is quite good for web images, but cant touch photoshop?s shadow on graphic design. That is my whole point. Ys, you can say that The Gimp has been developed as a different app, yet I dont understand why the Linux community keeps mentioning it as the "photoshop" alternative. If anything, is the Linux version of Paint.Net

Comparing The Gimp to Adobe Photoshop is just a convenient way of explaining what it does to people who have never tried it.

Never tried "Paint.Net". Does it allow you to work on layers and such? If that program is compared to The Gimp then it must be a good tool. Is it alsofree>...?;))

EDIT:

Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such asAdobe? Photoshop?/b>, Corel? Paint Shop Pro?, Microsoft Photo Editor,The GIMPP.

Oh it looks to be a good applicat:)n. :)

Maybe sometime in the future they think of porting this to Linux so we don't have to use Windows or W;)e. ;)

Edited by Lechio

BTW, I just remembered other important feature that The Gimp lacks: GPU acceleration.

I always considered lack of CMYK printing colorspace to be the biggest drawback to GIMP for professionals. GIMP is not the best tool for these professionals. For those doing professional print work, it may not even be acceptable.

That said, GIMP is a quality piece of software, even if it is not suitable for professional printers. And, for some people, the cost difference between the two will make GIMP a "better" choice, as long as it meets their needs.

But if you rely on a Photoshop-only feature, then Photoshop is the "better" app for you. If you rely on a Windows-only feature, then Windows is the "better" platform for you. These are truisms, but that doesn't mean that Windows is the better platform for all, nor that Photoshop is the better app for all.

Never tried "Paint.Net". Does it allow you to work on layers and such? If that program is compared to The Gimp then it must be a good tool. Is it also free...? ;)

Paint.Net is just about where GIMP is. I think a feature-by-feature compare would put them closer than Photoshop to GIMP compare.

And yes, it is free. Errr.. With your pre-paid Windows license cost. :p

Paint.Net is just about where GIMP is. I think a feature-by-feature compare would put them closer than Photoshop to GIMP compare.

And yes, it is free. Errr.. With your pre-paid Windows license cost. :p

It's free and if I'm not mistaken it is open source as well.

And since it's .NET, there's always the hope of running it with Mono:

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Dec-16-1.html

The link you pointed to shows that Paint.Net 1.x uses a proprietary commercial library.

Most of that version may be open source, but not all. Don't know how much has changed with the current release.

Plus support for Mono (and silver/moonlight) are always behind. Not an attractive platform. (at least on Linux)

Yeah it could be ported. But in that URL the person that tried to port it removed half of the code because it uses a proprietary library not available in .NET and the Mono implementation of it.

A good port will have to come from the project itself, not from a dude that tries to port a version of it.

Well 1.x was a long long time ago. They're at 3.36 right now. I don't know the status of its open sourceness... I didn't see a download source link anymore but I didn't look very hard.

I'm just saying... it's a cool project, and not directly a Microsoft release (though some Microsoft engineers mentored the developers who were UW students).

The only appropriate response to this woman would read as follows:

"Dear Ignorant Harlot,

I find it impossible to fathom the sheer enormity of your stupidity. Your lack of grip on reality is not only evident, but both amazing and bewildering. That we are of the same species make me want to commit suicide. Please, for the love of God and all things holy, please stop breathing. You're taking my air, and my lawyer says I can't sue you for that. Believe me, I checked. Whatever college or university you attended should be razed before they pump out more retarded graduates that will foul up the world for the rest of us.

Die."

Linux illegal? What an idiot of a teacher, LOL! :D

I used Linux (Fedora) on my laptop in my early college years (as well as on the desktop) and I found it to be a competent system. It's just not my cup of tea anymore, having to deal with command prompts to install certain apps and drivers, as well as not being able to run certain software titles. Yes, there's Wine and Cedega (Wine + DirectX), but they're really not that great emulators, or at least when I last tested them.

bobba, it's bad. Seriously.

Canadians might be nice, reasonable people who can be worldly at times, but our kids are not being taught very well. I taught myself in earlier grades and then I ended up teaching the teachers. I *really* began to learn during, say, maybe my last year of high school but in earnest during my undergrad years at Uni.

At the time I was given a chance to study in Switzerland and even the UK, but I had to pass it up. I would have loved to take advantage of the opportunity though. I'm currently going for my Master's, so there will be similar opportunities, thankfully.

Do I see a little bit of habbo usage ;)

Anyway, this is stupid. He should of sayd its not illegal to use Linux and show the ubuntu home page.

The teacher was out of order and he is somewhat correct in what he says about the money side of things. However, she too is correct, in that the children should be learning an OS that is widely used around the whole world.

The could learn Linux, great, but then get a job, be given a machine with Windows and then realise, "****, i don't know how to use it! Gimme Linux!"

This screams lock-in, then fantasy.

So, you concede that he expressed items that are subjective, and not lies. Whereas the teacher clearly stated items that were demonstrably false.

Sorry you didn't like his tone. I didn't like the tone of either "letter". It is just one was based on falsehoods, and the other on opinions.

Exactly, well put!

The whole story sounds fake. Just the way it's written seems to be like it was supposed to be satire, just for aggro.

If true: wow, just wow.

+1. It would almost be believable if it didn't turn into a chance for "omg microsoft is so evil, linux is so much better than windows!!" fanboy rant. I'm sure most of these stories just get made up so people actually read their rants.