I finally joined all of you and got an HDTV

So, I finally did it. I was at work and saw a deal pop up on a Sharp LC32SB24U 32" 720p LCD television and had to bite the bullet and buy it. I've already connected my HD cable box (cable guy gave me one since I was planning on getting a tv in the future) and my 360. I'm loving it. It's not a high end Sony or Samsung, but it's definitely a great set for the money I spent ($433 after tax).

Man, I helped so many people with their HDTV's but didn't have one of my own. I'm glad I finally have one.

Anyone know of any under $300 HDTVs?

My dad found a 27" Olevia LCD (open box) for $250 at K-Mart when it was going out of business around here. It cant hold a candle to our Mitsu 52" DLP, but its not bad for a bedroom tv for sub $300. You might want to scour around stores w/ open box stuff.

Pfft, 720p???

Your crazy man, if your buying a TV get full HD 1080, sharps are okay suppose but panasonics and sony's really are worth the money you spend.

And a Sony 1080p lcd at that size runs $1100...

Pfft, 720p???

Your crazy man, if your buying a TV get full HD 1080, sharps are okay suppose but panasonics and sony's really are worth the money you spend.

1080p on a 32" tv isn't really that noticeable. I have a 37" 720p LG and it's more than good enough for me.

Two work colleagues have cheap 32" 1080i TV's. Every time they see my Sony Bravia 40" 1080p TV they say the picture is much clearer. The same cheap TV is at the office however this is used as a monitor so I personally can't tell the difference. I think its hard to see the differences, but after seeing one picture for a period of time it becomes quite clear that one is better than the other.

I guess its just another case of you get what you pay for.

i would have never guessed that you didn't have one :blink: . i remember reading your advice posts last year when i was deciding which tv to buy for myself. congrats man!

Pfft, 720p???

and the most uninformed post of the thread goes to...... xXTOKERXx.... 1080p on a 32 inch TV is not needed, 720p looks perfect at that size. Think before you post next time... thanks.

O.. and congrats bangbang... I thought neowin should have done a collection for you a year ago to get you one...

And a Sony 1080p lcd at that size runs $1100...

well.. he could get a Samsung for $750.. but thats still $300 more than what he ended up paying... which @ 32 inches its not needed... people are forgetting bangbang stares at these things all day.. he wouldnt have picked up the tv if it wasnt worth the $$ he paid..

Pfft, 720p???

LMAO. I know what I'm doing. Don't worry about me.

i would have never guessed that you didn't have one :blink: . i remember reading your advice posts last year when i was deciding which tv to buy for myself. congrats man!

Lol, it always killed me a little inside to help someone find their perfect set and then turn around and watch TV on my 19" round tube RCA from 1998.

You mean.. after all the support you gave to members on picking out a good HDTV, you didn't actually own on yourself :| I feel so used, and dirty *shivers*

Joking. Congrats! Very sweet deal you got there, for a 32" for just over $400 (Y)(Y)

You mean.. after all the support you gave to members on picking out a good HDTV, you didn't actually own on yourself :| I feel so used, and dirty *shivers*

I did it because I love the technology and wanted to share that enthusiasm with others. I stopped posting much in this forum because I simply ran out of time to dedicate to so many people.

well.. he could get a Samsung for $750.. but thats still $300 more than what he ended up paying... which @ 32 inches its not needed... people are forgetting bangbang stares at these things all day.. he wouldnt have picked up the tv if it wasnt worth the $$ he paid..

Its more of a what you get for the price. Sure it might look a little bit better...not nearly enough to justify that much more in price. I 100% agree with you, its not needed in that size.

Pfft, 720p???

My friend said that to me when I bought my Samsung 32? 720p TV. I slapped him right in the face. Getting a 1080p 32? TV is a waste of money. You need a bigger screen size to notice the difference.

So, I finally did it. I was at work and saw a deal pop up on a Sharp LC32SB24U 32" 720p LCD television and had to bite the bullet and buy it. I've already connected my HD cable box (cable guy gave me one since I was planning on getting a tv in the future) and my 360. I'm loving it. It's not a high end Sony or Samsung, but it's definitely a great set for the money I spent ($433 after tax).

Man, I helped so many people with their HDTV's but didn't have one of my own. I'm glad I finally have one.

Well it's about damn time. :p Just in time for the new season of 24 too. ;)

I have a 28" LCD for the bedroom and a 40" LCD for the living room, both Samsung. I really can't go back to watching TV or playing my 360 on an SD TV now. It really is that much better. Glad to see you can enjoy them with the rest of us.

My friend said that to me when I bought my Samsung 32? 720p TVI slapped him right in the face.b> Getting a 1080p 32? TV is a waste of money. You need a bigger screen size to notice the difference.

ROFL.. i hope this was just a figure of speech that I have NEVER heard anyone say... otherwise... I would have knocked you the F out if you were my "friend".... lol

ROFL.. i hope this was just a figure of speech that I have NEVER heard anyone say... otherwise... I would have knocked you the F out if you were my "friend".... lol

Wow, you took that too literally. I didn't actually slap him, but I got a bit angry for his ignorant comment. I mean, it's annoying when people are like "1080p is a higher resolution than 720p so it's obviously the best."

Pfft, 720p???

Please dont try to grow your ego, 1080p on anything under 42 is totally senseless.

Pfft, 720p???

Why the **** would you waste money on a 32" 1080p?

Yeah, anyone buying a 1080p 32" set is a bit of a number ######. The set is great for what I paid, especially with the impressive black levels that really forced my hand. It won't beat out an XBR6, but it won't lose to any budget sets and can compete with sets a few hundred bucks more.

For the record, the set normally retails fo $600, so it's no cheapy.

Nice one (Y)

Sharp is a very good make of TVs as well.

I'd easily be happy buying one if I hadn't gone a bit larger.

Sharp/Sony/Samsung/Pioneer are the best makes to stay with IMO. At least, these 4 have made some awesome sets as of late, and were all in consideration for when I bought my HDTV.