Is there a PC like Mac in quality & design ?

HP has a multi-touch laptop. Sony makes a white laptop similar to the macbook and many of the major brand PC manufacturers are making the all-in-one PCs like the iMac all-in-one PC. Why not buy an iMac and install Windows or wait til the new mac mini and install Windows?

Theres a few different kinds of HP Touchsmarts. The IQ500 is the basic one as far as I know - they're all really nice looking, but the touch screen technology is pretty standard. It's not multi-touch or anything.

I'd hold off until MacWorld in January to see if Apple releases new Mac minis or iMacs, if they release a Mac mini as rumored with the GeForce 9400M chipset (or a variant of it), it would make a decent PC (as you could run Windows and Mac OS X in a dual-boot configuration, or even just Windows if you don't want Mac OS X).

The only thing with the Mac mini is that you wouldn't get the absolute best in gaming performance, although with the GeForce 9400M it wouldn't be overly bad, either.

The iMac (if refreshed as rumored) would probably pack a good punch as well for just a little bit more, plus it's the entire kit.

I haven't seen any other computers in the field that compare to the quality and design of an Apple product, perhaps a higher end Sony Vaio or an Alienware. I wouldn't bother with the Dell XPS line right now as they are supposedly being phased out to the "Studio XPS" line-up.

As for the HP TouchSmart, I wouldn't even bother with one right now. I've tried one brand new out of the box and the responsiveness from the screen was less than satisfactory, it felt very jumpy and overall unnatural. I'm sure that in time (perhaps in about 5 years) with some refinements in the technology that they will come a long way, but it's just not worth it at this time.

@Denholm {Perfect if you want a computer that look like it was designed in 1991.} :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

@+trag3dy thanks for interest ,as you said , i also feel that alienware case are bulky, i will check Falcon Northwest

@yert* (Why not buy an iMac and install Windows or wait til the new mac mini and install Windows?) i think i will do this

@jamesyfx thanks for replay

@+Mercellus thanks for interest (I'd hold off until MacWorld in January to see if Apple releases new Mac minis or iMacs) the best idea till now

• 8 years later...

hi again,

many years passed (9 years !) since my last post in this thread.

and I want to buy a new Pc again, so the same question goes again: what are the PCs of premium quality like Mac available these days?

Thanks to all (old repliers, and future ones of course)

Not sure I follow, mac's aren't THEE best in quality (the best is subjective to one's taste), Granted they're better than the crap some pc retailers sell, but still.

In this day and age, you can build a 'top tier' pc, for way less than the cost of buying an equivalent spec mac.

And putting them together is more or less idiot proofed, not to mention, the thousands of members here who will gladly help walk you through it.

2 hours ago, Ahmed047 said:

hi again,

and I want to buy a new Pc again, so the same question goes again: what are the PCs of premium quality like Mac available these days?

Surface Pro / Surface Laptop / Surface Book

16 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Surface Pro / Surface Laptop / Surface Book

That's what I would buy if I wasn't interested in macOS. Probably a Surface Laptop even though I'm not really on board with the carpeted keyboard area. :dontgetit:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ahmed047 said:

hi again,

Dell XPS 13 or if you want a desktop, you could build your own with premium materials and high end specs. Having been a surface pro user, I wouldn't recommend it.

31 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

He said In QUALITY :p

What's not quality about them? They're solid devices. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

What's not quality about them? They're solid devices. 

They're very very buggy.  A few unlucky souls at my workplace were given them, and it's been a nonstop hassle.  Docking station issues, poor quality keyboards, issues connecting to projectors and monitors, etc.  The Surface Books have been the worst, but both the Book and the Pro seem to be subpar from what I've seen.   I'm glad I opted for a workstation laptop.

Back on topic, isn't the OP looking for an iMac equivalent (i.e an all-in-one)?  Undoubtedly a desktop can be built for a much better value, but I can't say I've seen many all-in-ones that are worth a glance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ahmed047 said:

hi again,

Yes, all of them.  Here's some more details, though.  

If you're looking to purchase an OEM computer from someone like HP or Dell, just go to their site and select the options you want in a PC.  They're all built pretty well.  Macs do not have specialized hardware inside, just overpriced.

The best bet to getting a high quality machine of course is to build your own.  You can get very good cases from folks like NZXT and others.  Check out Newegg.com for their cases and comparable alternatives.  Everything else - the guts of the PC - is based really on your budget and what you're going to do with the machine.

• Like 2

Hello,

The ThinkPad X1 Yoga model with the OLED screen might be of interest.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

IF the OP is looking for a laptop, there are 2 choices: gaming or business.  Nearly, everything else is cheap garbage.
Gaming: any boutique builder or highly specced OEM will give a fast machine.

If reliability is what you are looking for, any business model laptop will do.  There are good reasons NASA, Facebook, Oracle, Google all use T-series ThinkPads.

If you want something that looks cool @ Starbucks - buy any top of the line laptop and ship it over to ColorWare, or any top of the line paint shop who will disassemble, paint it with a car quality paintjob, and give you your very own 1 of a kind work of art.

If you want desktop - you have a ton of options, something you will never have with Apple.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, Ahmed047 said:

what are the PCs of premium quality like Mac available these days?

For me, that would be something that's been assembled using the following components:

INTEL CPU

ASUS MOBO

ASUS GPU 

NOCTUA/ZALMAN/THERMALTAKE cooling

CORSAIR case and peripherals

CORSAIR PSU

CORSAIR/INTEL/SAMSUNG SSD or PCI-E-to-SSD

ASUS/DELL/NEC/VIEWSONIC/SAMSUNG display