Taking The Plunge, Buying a DSLR

So, now work's finished I have a bit of money to treat myself for Christmas. After a lot of thinking I've decided to go for a DSLR Camera, preferably a Nikon D40 as I've asked about it before and been told it's a great beginners DSLR, can anyone back this up?

I'm looking to go for this deal, pretty cheap if you ask me!

My main questions are;

1) Is there anything better that I can get for my money, as far as I know that's unlikely.

2) Decent place for memory cards? I'll obviously need one with my new camera.

3) Carry case, is the one mentioned on the Amazon page worth it? Or are there better choices elsewhere?

4) UV lens filter, where's the best place to purchase one in your opinion?

5) I can see myself taking the camera to some music gigs, I'll be front row or even try to obtain a photographers pass to gain access in front of the crowd, how good will the D40/18-55mm lens be in this type of environment?

Please keep in mind that I live in the UK in regards to purchasing things, I'm open to any advice though, no doubt about it. Also if some questions don't make sense then I'll happily explain them in more detail!

:D Thanks

You will get a much better deal on that camera here:

www.ritzcamera.com

So, now work's finished I have a bit of money to treat myself for Christmas. After a lot of thinking I've decided to go for a DSLR Camera, preferably a Nikon D40 as I've asked about it before and been told it's a great beginners DSLR, can anyone back this up?

I'm looking to go for this deal, pretty cheap if you ask me!

My main questions are;

1) Is there anything better that I can get for my money, as far as I know that's unlikely.

3) Carry case, is the one mentioned on the Amazon page worth it? Or are there better choices elsewhere?

5) I can see myself taking the camera to some music gigs, I'll be front row or even try to obtain a photographers pass to gain access in front of the crowd, how good will the D40/18-55mm lens be in this type of environment?

Please keep in mind that I live in the UK in regards to purchasing things, I'm open to any advice though, no doubt about it. Also if some questions don't make sense then I'll happily explain them in more detail!

You will get a much better deal on that camera here:

www.ritzcamera.com

Please keep in mind that I live in the UK in regards to purchasing things,

Thanks anyway :) I'm just cautious about buying expensive products from overseas...

Neowin is slanted towards Canon users (2:1 if you trust the Ultimate Equipment Poll) but the D40 is a great starter camera at a very good price.

Doesn't really matter. A good quality 4 or 8gb card from Amazon (get it shipped with your camera for simplicity).

I usually use the SanDisk Extreme III SDHC cards. They're fairly cheap and perform great. I think a lot of people overstate the importance of memory cards. I've shot on an 8GB Duracell brand card I paid $6 for and it worked just fine apart from limiting my burst-shooting to about 10-pictures at a time.

For general storage and airline travel I'm a fan of the crumpler bags. For just walking around with a camera, the "3-million dollar home" is a great bag that draws a little less attention to your kit than the typical "camera bag" style camera bag. It also doesn't cost a fortune and will comfortably hold your camera with lens attached, extra memory cards, and the cables.

Order it with your camera just to save the hassle of tracking one down later. The Hoya 52 mm should do the job just fine and doesn't cost a lot of money.

On my "good" lenses I use the 77mm B+W filters and have absolutely no complaints apart from the cost. For the kit lens it's not really going to matter.

Concerts have pretty horrible lighting. It's dark, constantly changing, lots of movement, etc.

It'll work, but you'll get much nicer results with a faster / stabilized lens. I like to use the 24-70mm F/2.8 L if I can get up close like it sounds you can. There is a Nikor equivalent but it's also very expensive. There is an 24-70mm f/2.8 made by sigma that costs 1/4 as much but that's still a huge amount of cash to spend considering what a deal you'd get on the d40 body.

If you're on a strict budget and can get in front of the crowd or on stage then a cheap 50mm prime with wide aperture can yeild some great shots. I've used the canon "plastic fantastic" 50mm to very good effect but I did have to manually focus because it just takes too long in auto focus in bad light. The nikon lens might be better, but I doubt it. Still at ~$100 you just can't beat them.

* I linked to amazon product pages just because they were handy. I'm not sure if those are great prices for somebody in the UK or not.

It'll be pretty bad. But in order for it to not be "bad," you'd have to get an F2.8+VR lens and a D90+. Or a strobist (off camera flash) set up.

So until you're ready for that, just do the best you can :p

That Amazon sounds great, although January sales are unpredictable and you may end up paying more or less.

I use Canon, so my Nikon knowledge is extremely limited but the evn show seems to have given you straight forward advice that I would take in your shoes. Give a brief description of what you want to do and the budget you are working with and private message Gigapixels and I'm sure within time he can give you the best bang for your buck, as far as I'm concerned with DSLR related knowledge he is omnipotent.

Buy a Rebel.....

Edited by A.B.L.N.N.

Most of the reasons for buying one of these is perverted and some illegal, are you sure you want to go down this road?

So protecting my $1000 70-200 2.8L from scratches is now illegal?

Most of the reasons for buying one of these is perverted and some illegal, are you sure you want to go down this road?

And yeah, that Amazon sounds great, although January sales are unpredictable and you may end up paying more or less.

I use Canon, so my Nikon knowledge is extremely limited but the evn show seems to have given you straight forward advice that I would take in your shoes. Give a brief description of what you want to do and the budget you are working with and private message Gigapixels and I'm sure within time he can give you the best bang for your buck, as far as I'm concerned with DSLR related knowledge he is omnipotent.

Buy a Rebel.....

Umm...what the hell are you taling about? a UV filter filters out UV rays, and they're cheap and don't distort color, so they are great for having on your lens AT ALL TIMES so that the lens doesn't get scratched. I think you mean a PF lens: http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/x-ray-vis...through-clothes

Umm...what the hell are you taling about? a UV filter filters out UV rays, and they're cheap and don't distort color, so they are great for having on your lens AT ALL TIMES so that the lens doesn't get scratched. I think you mean a PF lens: http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/x-ray-vis...through-clothes

I use a UV filter to help protect my lens. Easier to have to buy a new filter than a lens IMHO.

Also with the way they pack receptors on Sensors, I've learned that 5MP increments are best so, 5,10,15,20..are best according to the way they put the receptors on the sensors. receptors aren't the actual name but you get the idea.

I have a Canon 400D But I think Nikon is just as good or better in some cases.

I have a Rebel XTi, and I've used a few of my friends D40's. I must say, I really don't like the D40. The controls are awkward (and not because I'm used to the XTi so much...you have to dig through a menu to change the ISO, which is kind of bad). I also wasn't a fan of the feel.

I do, however, like the D80 and D90. If you can splurge a bit for either of those (the D90 replaced the D80, so the price should go down some on the D80), then by all means do so, you'll appreciate it.

I have a Rebel XTi, and I've used a few of my friends D40's. I must say, I really don't like the D40. The controls are awkward (and not because I'm used to the XTi so much...you have to dig through a menu to change the ISO, which is kind of bad). I also wasn't a fan of the feel.

I do, however, like the D80 and D90. If you can splurge a bit for either of those (the D90 replaced the D80, so the price should go down some on the D80), then by all means do so, you'll appreciate it.

Yea the D40 is kinda set up to be a really really good point and shoot that you can change lenses on. I don't like the controls either. With that said, I HATE all of the rebel's controls even more :p

Yea the D40 is kinda set up to be a really really good point and shoot that you can change lenses on. I don't like the controls either. With that said, I HATE all of the rebel's controls even more :p

I set a few C.Fn.'s, but I've got everything I need within one button press (the only exception being the aperture, which requires that I press a button and spin the jog dial). I shoot almost exclusively in manual and manage to set everything and squeeze off a well exposed shot within a few seconds (assuming I've already got the composition in mind), so the layout works for me :p

It's all up to personal opinion, though.

-snip-

* I linked to amazon product pages just because they were handy. I'm not sure if those are great prices for somebody in the UK or not.

Thanks a lot for your reply, even more so for the Amazon links. I'll take everything you said into perspective and make my final decision in the next 2 days.

Get along to jessops in january sales ;)

I was in there yesterday and they had a D40 for ?230> but are currently sold out and I'm not sure if it will still be that price when they have more in stock:((

Thanks for all the helpful replies:DD

I just ordered the D40 for store delivery, I can pick up the camera on Sunday from my local Jessops.

Came to a total of only ?225 and I get a free carry case with it worth ?4:D:D

Can't wait!

I set a few C.Fn.'s, but I've got everything I need within one button press (the only exception being the aperture, which requires that I press a button and spin the jog dial). I shoot almost exclusively in manual and manage to set everything and squeeze off a well exposed shot within a few seconds (assuming I've already got the composition in mind), so the layout works for me :p

It's all up to personal opinion, though.

Well I didn't say it doesn't work :p

I just ordered the D40 for store delivery, I can pick up the camera on Sunday from my local Jessops.

Came to a total of only ?225 and I get a free carry case with it worth ?4:D:D

Can't wait!

Nice deal.

We have this one at work. I've never tested it, but the 6.1mp is a turn off. I'd personally go with a Canon due to their mp being double, for the same price.

More MP does not = better

I've printed some 18x12" photos from a 4MP camera and they look great

I agree with this, my friend had a D40 and it was originally what made me get a DSLR. After a good deal on the XTi came up online and I went for that instead. A couple of months later my brother got a 40D and although it was what originally pushed me into DSLR into the first place, I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it felt to go back to after using my XTi. Obviously everyone is different, but if you can I definitely recommend trying out a couple of cameras before buying.

We have this one at work. I've never tested it, but the 6.1mp is a turn off. I'd personally go with a Canon due to their mp being double, for the same price.

Any back-up of this?

BRAD I just got the d40 from best buy yesterday. MEGA PIXELS DONT MATTER. The d40 uses the same sensor size and some 10 megapixel cameras. so low light pictures might come out better with it.

I have a 10 megapixel panasonic lumnix tz3 and the 6.1 megapixel d40 takes MUCH better pictures .

Trust me its a great camera. Especially for somebody like you and me for a first dslr. Some people might tell you there are better dslrs but if this is your first dslr it wont matter.

Just in one day using it i took pictures that i feel i wouldnt have been able to take with my point and shoot.

So dont worry the d40 is a great camera.