Windows 7 Official Public Beta

But the same thing happens with my Vista disk, that isn't a download :p

I downloaded win 7 beta from MS so...

Tried installing from a pen drive mate - would help rule out the optical drive...? 4GB (or even 8GB or 16GB!) ones are reasonably cheap these days and installing Vista and beyond from a pen drive is really easy :)

It only happens when you change meta data on the .mp3 files.

So as long as you don't play them or modify their meta data your good until you install it.

thanks for the quick reply. i just wanted to make sure! :)

If you are still having trouble downloading Windows 7 32-bit, you can PM me and I will give you a link and you can download it directly from my server. I have 100mbit connection so don't worry about speed :)

I don't know if it's legal but I am not sharing this to everyone, this link is only for ones who are having trouble downloading from Microsoft servers.

I just got my Windows 7 beta key, and will be downloading the 64-bit build..

I was afraid I lost out on the ability to get a key, only 2.5 million keys and I was completely unable to access the website yesterday due to the sheer volume of demand. :p

I tried the pre official beta, and I was seriously impressed with the new/improved UI, not to mention how snappy and responsive Windows 7 is. It also seems to use slightly less memory than my Vista install does.

I'm formatting the Windows 7 32 bit installation right now so I can install the 64 bit version. I have been running Windows 7 for a few days prior and it worked very well. Will post back when I'm up and running!

With regards to the Windows 7 Beta mp3 bug.. does anyone know if i install Windows 7, and then install the fix asap. So long as i dont load up any mp3 files will the files become corrupted?

for example: if i didnt load up any mp3s and didnt install the fix would the files become corrupted? Do i need to load them in the windows media player to become corrupted?

many thanks :)

Just install the fix before you launch WMP, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

It only happens when you change meta data on the .mp3 files.

So as long as you don't play them or modify their meta data your good until you install it.

If you use the Express setup option when you first run WMP, this enables the "automatically fill in missing album information" option which can trigger this bug. That's why the release notes say to install the update *before* you launch WMP the first time, just to be safe.

I just got my Windows 7 beta key, and will be downloading the 64-bit build..

I was afraid I lost out on the ability to get a key, only 2.5 million keys and I was completely unable to access the website yesterday due to the sheer volume of demand. :p

lol, I don't think you realise how many keys 2.5 million is. I remember one of the Vista public betas was 'only' released to 100,000 people and iirc everyone who wanted it was able get hold of it.

I know its unlikely, but is there a chance these keys will work on retail Windows 7? lol

Absolutely not. My beta Vista keys from Connect definitely don't work on the RTM version.

Using the public beta now in a VM. I must say that compaired to Vista, i am really excited about this new version. Even a VM, it installed quickly, boots fast and loads the desktop in seconds and that is from a VM!

Posting form it now and its VERY quick.

Will look at installing this copy on a real machine at work on Monday to see if it is as fast or faster etc on real hardware!

I must say that i have never liked Vista at all, but this is really exciting!

what if i download one off a torrent site. then use the product key i got from M$ for 7? because i cant get the I-operating system to download

i click the download now button and nothing happens

lol, I don't think you realise how many keys 2.5 million is. I remember one of the Vista public betas was 'only' released to 100,000 people and iirc everyone who wanted it was able get hold of it.

It appears that Microsoft has backed off on the 2.5 million keys thing, since everyone getting the keys now are getting the same 10 keys (5 each for 64 and 32 bit). There is no reason to be worried now as these 10 keys are essentially unlimited. They should have just done this in the first place, it would have saved everyone involved a hell of a lot of trouble.

what if i download one off a torrent site. then use the product key i got from M$ for 7? because i cant get the I-operating system to download

That's what I did. Just double check that it's the same MD5.

OK, it's working great. I'm typing this from Firefox running on Windows 7 x64. I installed the MP3 update before doing anything else.

It's of course identical design-wise to the 32 bit version I had been using for a while.

i click the download now button and nothing happens

You need to do it from IE because it launches a Download Manager.

Desktop+laptop+ moms laptop= Windows 7. Vista to XP to Ubuntu back to XP then to W7.

I LOVE it.

Hope you'll enjoy wiping all those when the Beta expires.

It appears that Microsoft has backed off on the 2.5 million keys thing, since everyone getting the keys now are getting the same 10 keys (5 each for 64 and 32 bit). There is no reason to be worried now as these 10 keys are essentially unlimited. They should have just done this in the first place, it would have saved everyone involved a hell of a lot of trouble.

I have a key thats not from that list (ends in 3DFFK) ... .does that make a difference (done with Helmut's method before it stuffed up)

Windows Experience Index gave my system a score of 1.9! It was because of my drive for some odd reason. I guess because it's IDE but it's very fast so I don't understand why it would do that. It's just a score I guess but I think they need to fine tune this scoring system a little more. It's far too unpredictable don't you guys think?