I want to (have to) try a Linux distro

hows the partition manager in fedora ? it is like Ubuntu where you can drag it to the side you want the partition ? or different

Hmmmm I haven't tried dragging the partition, I always just select and type in the partition size.

Never the less it's very easy to use. Never had a problem with it.

Imgburn is a great, small, free windows tool that allow fast and easy burning of .iso file, it have always been the easiest way to burn a CD image (Linux, games, dvd or windows)

I'm installing Fedora and need some help.

I've already crated a free space through Windows, so I won't have to partition using Fedora to make things easier. Now what I have are 3 physical drives

2 of the drives are setup as RAID1

the other drive is partitioned into 2. Both NTFS and on the first partition there's Windows installed. The other partition is empty.

During the installation I chose 'Create Custom Layout'. Now fedora is displaying this:

img2014wb7.jpg

... from what I can see, the bar at the top represents the RAID1 space. The bottom represents the other hard drive which is partitioned into 2, and one of them has Windows installed... the other is empty. And I'm stuck :p ... should have left the empty space unformatted.

You have to create 2 partition, an ext3 (Fedora itself) and 1 swap (virtual memory) like windows pagefile about the size of your ram. You can resize/format partition from the fedora installer.

Hi Elv13, thanks for your reply. Instead of waiting, I've stopped the installation and deleted the 'empty' partition which is going to be used by Fedora. Now, if you look at the picture above, the one which was named sda2 (what does sda mean?) it is now named 'Free'.

So now that I know which space I'm going to use... you're saying I need to divide the Free space into 2 partitions? One to be used for the system files and the other for swap?

Thanks mate.

Nevermind... created.

Edited by Daninku

I'm installing Fedora and need some help.

I've already crated a free space through Windows, so I won't have to partition using Fedora to make things easier. Now what I have are 3 physical drives

If the image shows what you 'created' for Linux, you are doing it wrong. You have created an NTFS partition. You need the unpartitioned space (as you mentioned). Linux doesn't (normally) install onto NTFS. It needs its own native filesystem.

Not sure where you are at now, since I just got back here, but if you get stuck or have questions, just post them and someone will be along to help and/or explain. (Y)

hehe... yeah I just had to cancel the instllation and delete the NTFS formatted partition. Now it's OK, I'm at the stage where I have to choose the applications and other stuff to install.

oh... you're right! lol

wohoo... there are hundreds of applications to choose from... almost got fed up ticking and unticking haha... it's installing at the moment (and it may take several minutes :p)

Since you are in an application-ticking frenzy, mind if I throw in a recommendation for "celestia"? (Y)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not sure it was ticked.

I'm into Fedora right now, it's so clean :D ... but I have a problem which needs to be sorted asap. The bootloader is not displaying Vista, and if I remember correctly when setting up the bootloader I've ticked the Windows to be displayed.

What can I do? Thanks. (Yes... I can see the Windows Vista Ultimate in 'Computer' and I can access all the files :p)

EDIT: I found the Boot Configuration and there's Fedora and Windows, Fedora as the default boot entry.

EDIT 2: duh... nothing it is displayed now.

Edited by Daninku

The boot of the OS's is handled by the GRUB boot loader.

GRUB is responsible for loading your OS's, it knows what to do by looking at its configuration file located in:

/boot/grub/menu.lst

You can edit that file by using a graphical boot configuration tool (Best choice for you) or you can do it manually by using a text editor.

I'm posting from Fedora :)

... but I'm finding it difficult to install applications. Looks like you have to install everything using Terminal. The first thing I'm trying to do is to install the nvidia drivers. Well... I've downloaded the necessary file from Nvidia (a .run file). Now how am I going to run / install this.

And since I'm still a noob, are the commands the same for every Linux distribution? If so, are there any recent books you recommend?

If you right click the file and go to properties, make sure the box(es) that say executable are checked, then double click it. It should come up with a menu that'll ask if you want to run it, view it, run in terminal and maybe something else (I'm going from memory here :p).

Alternatively, you could cd to the directory in the terminal and type ./filename.run and it'll run it - assuming it has the necessary execute attributes set.

As far as commands go: Pretty much the same yeah. Different distros use different package managers to install applications though. So, to install firefox in ubuntu you'd do "apt-get install firefox" whereas, to install it in Fedora you'd do something like "yum install firefox".

apt-get and yum are often run from the command line because it's easier to access vast libraries of software that way. Alternatively though, you can use a GUI interface for those tools. In Ubuntu, Synaptic is a popular one. For Fedora, I don't know - I haven't use it in a while :p But I'm sure there's one installed by default somewhere in the menus.

I'd recommend using the distro's built in package manager to manually finding the applications on the web the "windows-way" and downloading, then installing them. With a package manager, there are thousands of software packages in repositories on the web that your OS's package manager knows about and installing software from them is as simple as ticking a box and clicking Apply (or install, or whatever Fedora has :p). Similar to what you said about ticking loads of boxes when you installed it to start with.

Edited by Mouldy Punk

You mean... 'Package' instead of 'Execute'? If no... I can see no Execute.

If I had to double-click it willpen with gedit.

EDIT: I don't really want to get used to the GUI thingy... I prefer to learn commands instead.

And since I'm still a noob, are the commands the same for every Linux distribution? If so, are there any recent books you recommend?

Kind of. For example, Debian based systems use the command "apt-get update" to update APT. In Fedora, you'd use something called "yum." I'm not sure of the exact syntax as I'm not a Fedora use though. But I do know that there is a GUI to install apps. Head to System -> Administration -> Add / Remove Software. (I hope that's right, I haven't used Fedora in a while :p )

As for your Nvidia driver problem, there should've been instructions on the site you downloaded from on how to install it. If not, search around a bit and you'll be sure to find it. I too was slightly scared by using the terminal at first, but now I use it a lot. I even do stuff through terminal on my Macs because I'm so used to it!

I found instructions, but I can't manage.

At the moment I'm trying to install Open Office:

su -

Password:

[root@localhost ~]# yum install OOo_3.0.0_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US.tar.gz

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit

Setting up Install Process

Parsing package install arguments

No package OOo_3.0.0_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US.tar.gz available.

Nothing to do

[root@localhost ~]#

I've downloaded the RPM of OO. There was another 'DEB' which I don't know the difference between the two.

You don't use yum to install tarballs (.tar.gz files) you download from the internet. Yum will download and install for you.

yum install celestia

or

yum install openoffice

will grab the latest copy that has been placed in the repos by the Fedora maintainers.

You probably already have OpenOffice installed.

hmmm... :/ ok...

I don't have it installed cause I've unticked it during the installation so that I could install it on my own later. This is what I've found on the net and it's working:

yum install openoffice.org-writer

what's the difference?

Another question. So how do you deal with downloaded .tar, .bin and .run?

Another question. So how do you deal with downloaded tars, and downloaded bins?

I just don't install software that way any more. It is such a hassle.

When you install files that way, you are just using some script inside the tarball that will either compile or throw the files where they need to be.

It is crude, but it works.

However...

your package manager, which is used to keep your system up-to-date, cannot see those apps, since the package manager wasn't used to install them. When a new version comes out, you don't get it. Unless you re-google and see a new version exists.

That is probably manageable for one piece of software. But you keep adding and adding applications manually and you will have a messed up install that has no way of keeping updated.

EDIT:

For example, if you downloaded the nvidia ".run" file, then it can install the correct module for your kernel. The next time your package manager sees a new kernel update for you, you end up with a new kernel and an old nvidia module that won't work with it. A broken GUI.

If you use the package manager to install the nvidia driver, as instructed here, then every time you get a new kernel, your package manager also sees you need a new nvidia module automatically. (Y)