Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

I voted 6, 5, 6. I currently have it running on 2 PCs, my Acer Aspire One Netbook (1.6Ghz Atom, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel GMA 950) and my ancient Compaq (Athlon 3400+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HD, SiS 760).

While only my AAO can handle Aero, it works great on both. Really surprised to be using the newest Windows without lag on a 3-5 year old PC!

The only drivers it didn't have were WiFi for my AAO (download, install, reboot) and audio and ethernet for my desktop. After telling it what to look for it installed ethernet, and on its own later (I was in the middle of going through the huge list of drivers when IE made a sound telling me it finished a download) audio worked. Very satisfied with it.

I'm an absolute die-hard XP-Pro user, I installed 7077 last night and I don't think I'm going back. It's great! Very responsive, stylish and modern, love everything about it. All of my programs that worked on XP are working on 7.

so happy with this new native feature.

7068_change_welcome.jpg

How did you get to this? I can't see such a feature:

15223283.jpg

I liked the old vista UAC and my ms fingerprint reader dose not work plus I miss the old sidebar and flip3d other than these minor things I agree windows 7 is great

installing visual studio 2008 could be MUCH better

how does this deliver on the longhorn and productivity vision?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KRr2T69-f0

http://www.microsoft.com/video/en/us/detai...07-3dbf689fe11a

http://www.microsoft.com/video/en/us/detai...cc-c5c01fd96ba4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZP2iEgwJ3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDomkcmWec

great concepts they just need the follow through make sure you communicate this via the feedback

Edited by MvT Cracker

Future Desktop Now With Source Code

Posted By: Larry Larsen | Apr 9th @ 3:09 PM

If you're like me, you probably got a little giddy when you saw the interfaces in the Productivity Future Vision video developed by Microsoft's Envisioning team. And if you happened to catch my behind the scenes chat about that video, you'll know that much of what was shown in the video (software as opposed to hardware) is possible right now with existing Microsoft products.

Let the games begin. Orkpad.com has taken a first shot at this kind of interface in Silverlight, and while it doesn't do a whole lot yet, I really like what I see. The UI is built using Ork's nRoute framework, and the source code for this "Future Desktop" is right here if you'd like to help carry it forward.

Tags: Envisioning, Silverlight 3

http://on10.net/blogs/larry/Future-Desktop...th-Source-Code/

I voted 7, 5, 6. Compatibility would have gotten a higher score from me, if VMware ThinApp'ed programs worked. Otherwise, I love this OS. :)

:hmmm: so how long should it take to do an upgrade install from 7057 to 7077 so far it got to about 80% and stalled and hasn't moved in three hours i'd expect a long upgrade from vista but win7 to win7 :unsure: :pc:

I'm an absolute die-hard XP-Pro user, I installed 7077 last night and I don't think I'm going back. It's great! Very responsive, stylish and modern, love everything about it. All of my programs that worked on XP are working on 7.

7068_change_welcome.jpg

15223283.jpg

I'd like to know this as well. I see no such option.

I just want evenbalance to get their crap together and at least support 7 starting at RC1. I think that is reasonable. Otherwise, I hope they support Windows 7 when it is announced it has gone gold, and not wait until the very hour that 7 is released retail.

I just want evenbalance to get their crap together and at least support 7 starting at RC1. I think that is reasonable. Otherwise, I hope they support Windows 7 when it is announced it has gone gold, and not wait until the very hour that 7 is released retail.

Holy potato! It's been years since I last heard "gone gold" :p I think it was on a AoE III release or something!

Anyway, I can't imagine myself on XP or Vista now. The new features are just too awesome. All my hardware are working. I had no problems at the installation. So, I hit the jackpot.

I imagine myself on Vista everyday because of Evenbalance. 7 on my laptop is beautiful though. So clean and quick. The tweaks in cleartype are super nice.

7068_change_welcome.jpg

15223283.jpg

I'd like to know this as well. I see no such option.

I'll try again. Maybe at the top of the page, someone will see this ad answer. I'm really curious as I see no such option.

I'll try again. Maybe at the top of the page, someone will see this ad answer. I'm really curious as I see no such option.

That's only for starter edition.

Windows 7 can't browse to my Windows 2003 Server unless i set workgroup name to match workgroup name on Windows 2003 server. MS still didn't clean this problems homegroup vs workgroup.

Question number 2. Should I install latest official Nvidia Drivers for Windows Vista x64 or download Windows 7 x64 and install those instead? I don't care about WDDM1.1, only games.

Edited by jjrambo

Windows 7 can't browse to my Windows 2003 Server unless i set workgroup name to match workgroup name on Windows 2003 server. MS still didn't clean this problems homegroup vs workgroup.

Question number 2. Should I install latest official Nvidia Drivers for Windows Vista x64 or download Windows 7 x64 and install those instead? I don't care about WDDM1.1, only games.

WDDM 1.1 runs your desktop in DX10 layer thus lower the Ram usage for your GPU and DWM also improving performance around the desktop and just overall experience games may also see an increase in performance as they have done for me over Vista drivers that are only DWM 1.0 based

I don't post here too often, (in fact this is my first post) but I had to comment on Windows 7.

Installation was smooth, ALL my hardware works with no problems and the OS is running really quickly.

Coupled with the fact that I haven't had one crash since I installed version 7068 means that I'm sold.

I'll be buying W7 when it comes out and I can give no higher recommendation than that.

ok spent the first half of this week on Windows 7 and was loving it went back to vista and i got that old chair feeling you may know what i mean by that (basic gist Vista may not be the best right now but it's got that comfortable feel to it right now)

Well, overall the experience is good but there were some issues for me. First version I installed was 7077 and now running 7100. Both versions could not support the Marvell sata controller out of the box (completely understandable) but also no support for the onboard realtek soundcard.

Especially regarding the soundcard, the situation is very strange. Device manager will not even acknowledge the existence of it. My only playback devices are "Digital Audio (HDMI)" and "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)". If I forcibly install realtek HD vista drivers (no win7 drivers yet) then the soundcard will properly "activate" and it becomes usable but after a random number of restarts it gets "lost" again and I have to reinstall drivers. Really odd situation.

Another problem I have is that on a completely random basis I will get a "Video Scheduler fatal error" BSOD. I'm still trying to figure that out. Running an ATI 2900GT (which is known for its VERY poor support from ati). I tried both WDDM 1.1 and catalyst 9.4 drivers (no CCC, just the driver itself), no luck, got BSODs with both.

Software-wise I didn't have any major issues. The 2 games I run all the time work 100% fine (Warcraft 3 and WoW) but some small things won't really work. For example pickup.listchecker (a small utility for hosting DotA games on Warcraft 3) will just not work, tried fiddling with compatibility modes and admin rights, no luck.

Also I had some difficulties playing .mkv files. CCCP is working but requires some tuning for subtitles to actually work. Also MPC HC was rendering poorly, switched to EVR renderer, appears ok now.

Last but not least the thing that annoys me the most is live messenger maximizing itself everytime I minimize firefox. Hopefully that'll be fixed. I know I can run it in compatibility mode to force it to appear in quicktray though.

Overall I'm pleased. I'm running on an old Athlon X2 4200 with 2gigs of ram and the system is very responsive and the overall experience is very good. I'm sure that once drivers mature it'll be a much better experience.