Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

Got to agree here ! I especially like how right clicking explorer on the super bar brings up recent folders.

Couple of annoying little things though :;

- toolbar player not available in wmp12

- live messenger wouldn't minimize to tray, although that was a easy fix.

Not having the WMP toolbar player actually hasnt bothered me that much, although it did take a little while to get used to hovering over the WMP icon for the playback controls.

Not having the WMP toolbar player actually hasnt bothered me that much, although it did take a little while to get used to hovering over the WMP icon for the playback controls.

I just not sure I understand why they've done that though - it takes an extra step and doesn't have as much functionality - for example the song name isn't shown. :(

On a different note - Another thing I love are the gadgets, it's much better without that stupid side bar :) And the new predictive on screen keyboard is great too

The song name is shown in the tool-tip that appears when you hover over the window preview itself (could have been better, I agree, but this is one way of seeing it I guess).

Couple of annoying little things though :;

- toolbar player not available in wmp12

- live messenger wouldn't minimize to tray, although that was a easy fix.

Those are the only things a friend of mine said he disliked about Windows 7 too.

Other than those, he said Windows 7 performs phenominal, on al;l the computers he's installed it on.

Even showed me exact comparisons with startups on the same comps with Vista and Win 7, and Win 7 blows Vista away by a longshot.

anybody get adobe reader installed/working? i can't even visit adobe.com or any of thier pages because it locks up my processor in IE8 everytime i go there.

Mine's going great, although I had the initial problem with 'BootMgr not found' error when installing. After I changed my boot disk to SATA1 position though, it fixed it.

I love the new Sego Semibold font! Check it out y'all.

It's been mostly OK so far! The only problem I've had was with initial installation on Thursday evening.. can't remeber the exact error but when I booted the DVD and chose between clean install or an upgrade (chose a clean install) and chose my current Vista partition it gave some error about not being able to create a new partition or find an existing one to upgrade. Deleted all partitions off the disk and tried again - same error! Powered off and pulled my second drive just to keep it out of the picture and enabled AHCI mode in the BIOS and then it all worked without any hiccups :)

No problems at all with the install, and it was quite fast, too. I haven't experienced any real issues with the RC build either. :)

my only complaint and only drawback from using 7 is that all my portable apps dont work yet otherwise it seems very good and the taskbar thingy took awhile to get used to.

I have to say it's near-perfect. What surprised me was the fact that it asked me to select a wireless network before the desktop even loaded.

i love the new sleekness of it. it's so much nicer to look at than vista. yes i'm shallow. :p

as for performance, i notice no difference over vista. vista flew along for me and i'm running a pretty rare pc at the moment - a single core celeron with 4gb ram. :D

had a little trouble getting my x1950xt drivers installed. i had to login with the "proper" admin account to do that. no amount of right clicking and "run as" would work. everything is working fine now though. :)

It's been great so far. Installation is very fast and doesn't require much information. Jump lists is a great feature, saving you lot of time. The UAC is less annoying. The notification area is adjustable to fit your needs. Some programs are not compatible but they will be, when the product is released. I didn't need to install any driver of modem, Ethernet card, printer, etc.

How was installation? 7. It went really fast, and to think I was impressed with Vista's installation speed!

How is compatability? 6.9. I've yet ran into any compatibility issues. the only compatibility issue I've ran into is the Logitech Quickcam software.

The features? 7. I feel that it has pretty much everything I need in terms of necessities.

Speed?(speed of everything in that matter, boot, shut down, programs, etc)7. It's been pretty damn fast. I'm loving it.

The looks? I've always been a big fan of Aero Glass. I like the way it looks, and 7 seems to improved it even further.

Overall? 7. I haven't really had an issue with windows 7. In fact, I've had more issues with windows vista during the RTM days, but those were just drivers.

heh.. smart, 1-7 poll ;) I get it.

Honestly, this is the greatest operating system I have EVER put my hands on :D I love it

It's all great :) works a treat, I have it installed on my laptop at home and on one of my work machines at work. Overall it's a pleasure to use, do get occasional weirdness though (e.g. like the other day 7 refused to boot for a whole day and then came good, it wasn't the PC itself as it was dual booted with Vista and that worked fine). It works really well in a home and work environment as well (Y) when it's time to upgrade the work machine I'll definitely be asking to get Win7 on it, that is for sure. However, home is a different story as cost come into it and to be honest Vista serves me perfectly fine, so unless I can get 7 reasonable cheap, I'll stick with Vista.

Windows 7 Pro x64 RTM

Can't really remember being happy to have a version of Windows installed until now. WMP12.0 / iTunes working well firing Before The Dawn through a very stable and feature working Creative Xi-Fi music driver (This is my first experience of a fully working driver since my AWE32 on Win95/Dos, the Vista driver broke for Guitar Rig 3 or crashed the PC on certain "live" audio changes).

Kodak AIO-3 printer working on a 64bit driver ripped from the installer, printing to a Windows 7 x86 Build 7229 file server.

NVRaid (2x750 Samsung SPF1's in STRIPE) native installation on an Nforce 4 chipset.

Using a spare GeForce 9 9500 GS atm, all ok apart from a few minor issues with 1080p playback compared to my ex-4870 (ASUS, stick to reference fans or get Delta to make them for you). This is more than likely a driver & card model issue however.

Xbox 360 pad & reciever all ok, Rumble support working well in supported games.

FireFox 3.5.2 running well with Glasser 2.0 8)

Getting 10-11.2MB/sec burst on network file transfers over 100TXFULL.

All in all, very happy thusfar!

Pretty much all 7's from me so far. A 5 on features as it's a shame they removed some stuff from the install such as a mail client etc, but easy enough to add back in. 6 overall due to the features I miss. :p

OE is still in 7. It's hidden.

It looks to be a nice OS, but it's not perfect. There are compatibility issues with some programs that treat the new Superbar wrong and hide themselves in the systray (making them look as not even running in the Superbar -- IMHO, the Superbar should take this into account for compatibility reasons), there are sometimes multiple Explorer processes popping up when you don't even run each window in a separate process, and now just recently, I had the Superbar botch my Firefox icon after restoring Windows 7 from a Remote Desktop session. (see screenshot) Windows 7 also doesn't support multiple monitors well in its Aero Snap mode besides if using the keyboard shortcuts, and there are also the security issues with the new "tuned" UAC mode that Microsoft refuse to acknowledge, despite calling UAC more than a "security boundary" in Vista.

But overall, it still seem to surpass the quality I have come to expect from Microsoft.

post-21023-1250848370.png

windows 7 has been awesome except for a bug and it has to do with desktop icons and games, hope a fix is available.