Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

I don't know what the issue is. Don't really want to reinstall until RTM. Autocad 2009 won't install because it says i'm not on a supported operating system, and compatibility wizard won't convince it otherwise.
32bit on 64bit, i've heard issues about that, but i'd think since x64 supports 32bit software it would work.

Google is your friend :) I did a quick search and found this:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/mess...ssageID=5933536

To summarize: the installers for 32-bit versions of Autocad will not

allow installation onto a 64-bit version of Windows (not just Win 7,

but also Vista and XP64). This appears to be a limitation imposed by

the creators of Autocad, not a Windows limitation.

Ive got RTM installed on my laptop: a (nearly 2) year old Toshiba Sat Pro. I was quite happily typing away on it last night when I noticed that the battery life is much better managed. While I used to have stupid life with xp (say maybe 30-40min) on battery; under Windows 7 it shot up to 1hr 46min!

Very stable, very clean, very nice. Everything is where i want it to be; minimal issues with driver installation that were solved quickly (ie: detecting wireless card) I'm extremely happy with this and am debating installing a clean copy on my desktop which is still sporting Vista Ultimate.

I'm curious to compare it to Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro - but we'll see...dont think you can really compare the two!

I'm running 7 64bit from MSDN, and I have to say.. its great so far.

I was worried about it not working well with my Xbox 360 as I like to stream videos alot, but it works fine and I've even started using Media Centre, its that good!

A small problem for me was my printer, I had an old HP 3200 series, at least I think it was a 3200. No drivers available for it for some reason, after a day of searching the net I decided to just buy a new HP printer (D1560) and it worked fine and was setup in less than a minute. Perfect for my black and white docs.

Overall I'm very impressed, all I'm looking for now is addons for the media centre, online radio etc....

I am a gamer and haven't had any issues with drivers or my games, result!

Hello, been a long time since I was around, I have to say I installed Win7 build 7100 and I have to say driver support is exceptional at least for me, I only had to D/L the creative X/fi driver. Runs fast, no complaints, Xeon 3210 o/c to 3.6 ghz from 2.13 ghz with minor voltage change.

I like it better than Vista which I normally use, cleaner, smoother, no problems...yet.

My System Specs

CPU: X3210 @3.6ghz

CPU Cooling: Arctic Freezer Pro

Mainboard: ASUS P5K PREMIUM Black Pearl/WIFI-AP

Mem: 4 X 1gb GSkill F2-6400CL5-1GBNQ

HDD: 2 X36GB Raptor Raid0

2nd HDD: Wd 80Gb Sat /win7 64 bit

CD/DVD: Samsung SH-223F DVD Burner

Video: EVGA8800 GTX 768mb/384bit (G80)

Sound: Creative Fatality X-Fi Extreme

Misc: Logitech Z-5500 speaker statem

Case/PSU: LianLiPC7B Modded/PC Performance 850w SSI turbo

Monitor(s): 2 X Dell 1908fp 19" 4:3 monitors

Drivers: Windows WDDM 1.1

I don't know why but before I was having massive problems with BSODs. Right now I'm running x64 alongside XP x86 and having no problems.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ @ 3.28 GHz on Water

Water: Thermaltake Bigwater 735

Motherboard: Biostar TA780G M2+

Memory: 2x2GB Corsair @ 950 MHz

HD: 200 GB Seagate

Video Card: Onboard (4870 tomorrow)

In a posting bump attempt to lose the "One Post Wonder" moniker I must say the few days I have now had with Win7 has been a pleasure. Most of the "where the heck did they put that" stuff was absorbed by Vista experience. Win7 is just plain very nice, smooth, responsive. I'm lovin' it.

It is so good that when on my laptop where more limited space would require a fresh install instead of dual boot, I'm actually considering it. Must wait awhile longer to make sure some Win7 demon isn't lurking in the background to change my opinion.

Im on a retail ultimate copy I got from my technet account, and I can say Ive not had any problems with it at all, and this 5 year old laptop its on is acting like its brand new. Vista didnt even want to install. I am very pleased with this version of windows, and cant really wait for the next version if its as good as this turned out

On my Gateway P-7811FX notebook I've had a couple driver issues. Sound (Conxant) has no mic and the sound drivers don't install as completely as Vista. I'm sure this will work out eventually or I will find some work around. Just sayin'. The other mystery is I have an uninstalled "Mass Storage Device" in Device Manager. But all my storage devices work, USB, SD, etc. ???

All said Win7 is impressively working "out of the box" so to speak on the two machines I've tried so far.

My old 5 year old Compaq computer running Vista for some reason can't upgrade to Windows 7 because of it's SATA drives. However, on my main PC it's running brilliantly. The first day was a little rocky because super fetch as kicking in and everything however now on the second day it's running very fast and smooth.

Really very happy with Windows 7 so far. Using Ultimate x64 through MSDN - I could use Enterprise from work but for once decided Windows was worth paying the pre-order price of ?50 and will be getting / installing Home Premium when it comes out in October.

It's quick, pretty, everything works.. well, except HomeGroup which me and my friend were trying to make play nice a few weeks back. Basic LAN with three hosts on - we were both using the RTM of Windows 7 Ultimate and I'll be damned if we could make it work. It gave me a password to share with the other computer which I dutifully did then tried to share volumes and files and it just would not work for toffee.. very strange.

Will revisit it again when I need to share files.

I've just installed the RTM build and find it incredibly solid. The first few days were a bit slow but SuperFetch has sorted all that out and now its so smooth and quick. Installed all my usual programs - iTunes x64, CCleaner, Office 2010 Tech Preview, Live Messenger, Norton Internet Security 2010 Beta and not ONE problem.

Well done Microsoft - Windows 7 is a real winner!

With Windows 7 is WMP12 . It has no advance tag editor, big disappointed :(

I don't know why WMP and IE really get bad day by day. But W7 is a big winner :)

Look like M$ makes nice step

On my Gateway P-7811FX notebook I've had a couple driver issues. Sound (Conxant) has no mic and the sound drivers don't install as completely as Vista. I'm sure this will work out eventually or I will find some work around. Just sayin'. The other mystery is I have an uninstalled "Mass Storage Device" in Device Manager. But all my storage devices work, USB, SD, etc. ???

All said Win7 is impressively working "out of the box" so to speak on the two machines I've tried so far.

I'm using Gateway Computer Md7818u . You can go to its website to download drivers. But It works good with me :) Everything is fine .

Everything is great, but I'm having problems with the sound. I have the latest drivers from my onboard soundcard Realtek ALC1200 (MB ASUS M3A78-EM), but the sound is skipping while playing audio and video, with any application (WMP, Winamp, KMPlayer). Realtek says the drivers are fully compatible with Windows 7... It's more frequent when browsing or performing any other tasks.

I tried using default Windows drivers, and it seems that there are no major problems, but it doesn't support my quadraphonic speakers (back speareks are muted).

pleasant. from install to daily use....just as smooth as can be, much better than my Vista x64 experience (though that was good too; I'd never understand what the negative buzz was all about, at least not even after SP1).

looking to get some new tv tuner and better video card soon.

i'm a little upset with the VT processor requirement - which means some extra bucks for intel - but i'm looking forward to my move to, and first real experience with, AMD :)

Yesterday I was able to download the Windows 7 Enterprise Trial edition from Microsoft. Currently I'm hesitating to install it on my old Gateway laptop. I'm not sure how it'll perform on the machine. The specs on it are Core Solo U1300@1.06ghz, 1GB of RAM, Intel G950 graphics, and a Seagate 7200.3 320GB hard drive. Do you guys think it'll run well? For a three year old laptop, this thing is still in many ways faster than a netbook and from what I read, Windows 7 regardless of the edition can run fine on a laptop, albeit for basic tasks like web surfing, IM, and watching simple videos on Youtube. What do you guys think? Will Windows 7 run fine for the tasks that I have in mind to justify the time to install the OS?

What about drivers? Should I start searching the web for Windows 7 compliant drivers or the OS will automatically detect an internet connection and install the applicable drivers?

when i had my old ati card it was all so nice. everything worked and all was well in the world.

but since i "upgraded" to a better nvidia card, it's all gone to pot. i get terrible stuttering in game now. i've re-installed more times than i care to remember (so no trace of my old card) with all sorts of different driver versions and nothing works. even a bare naked install of windows, updates, chipset drivers and latest directx with no other software at all installed still gives me the same ****. using the same driver packages in vista works perfectly. so who to blame? nvidia or microsoft? it doesn't matter either way. the simple fact is, i can't run windows 7. :(

when i had my old ati card it was all so nice. everything worked and all was well in the world.

but since i "upgraded" to a better nvidia card, it's all gone to pot. i get terrible stuttering in game now. i've re-installed more times than i care to remember (so no trace of my old card) with all sorts of different driver versions and nothing works. even a bare naked install of windows, updates, chipset drivers and latest directx with no other software at all installed still gives me the same ****. using the same driver packages in vista works perfectly. so who to blame? nvidia or microsoft? it doesn't matter either way. the simple fact is, i can't run windows 7. :(

Which nvidia card r u running?

I have a GeFore 9600GTS running without any problems on Win7 Pro x64

I have a GeFore 9600GTS running without any problems on Win7 Pro x64

oh i know most people don't have any problems. it's just me. :laugh:

i have an 8800gts 512mb FWIW. since my post, i've tried windows 7 x86 and that's running ok. i'm still a bit peeved i'm wasting some of my ram and not getting the 64bit goodness though.