Microsoft love the OS X Dock.

Link: Microsoft opens fake store to demo utopian retail experience; begs question why not open a real store - Long Zheng's 'istartedsomething.com'

Open link then go to approx. 0:54 :laugh: Redmond has been busy, copying the OS X Dock!!

post-262662-1232172231.jpg

Gee Microsoft just love the OS X Dock don't they? First they take the idea and base their new superbar on the OS X Dock, in Win 7.

Now they rip the dock off in their own 'Retail Experience Store'. Far out!

Dam grow up!

We all know that each OS is "stealing" ideas from each other even Linux do that.... as long as we have a flat monitor and mouse/keyboard things wont change :p

And the superbar IMO is combining the best of both task switchers..

First they take the idea and base their new superbar on the OS X Dock, in Win 7.

The idea of a program dock pre-dates OS X by a fair amount, even then it's just a row of icons.

Gee Microsoft just love the OS X Dock don't they? First they take the idea and base their new superbar on the OS X Dock, in Win 7.

Now they rip the dock off in their own 'Retail Experience Store'. Far out!

How does the superbar rip off the OS X Dock? Its just a bigger taskbar with more functionality in the shortcut menu area on the bottom left thats been in the OS since Windows 95.

How does the superbar rip off the OS X Dock? Its just a bigger taskbar with more functionality in the shortcut menu area on the bottom left thats been in the OS since Windows 95.

Exactly. To me, it's just a glorified "Quick Bar".

I love it, too. And apparently, so do many others. So instead of reinventing the wheel, they pretty much copied it.

Companies do this all the time, and self-respecting ones try their best to avoid it, but some things are just so natural after you've experienced it, it's hard not to copy.

But yeah, they could've at least made it look different. Maybe a very slight bulge at the bottom where the icons can be placed around.

This is a pretty blatant rip-off.

The dock is a really simple program.. anyone can make it and it's not Apple's either. It was designed for the OS NeXTSTEP.

The dock is a really simple program.. anyone can make it and it's not Apple's either. It was designed for the OS NeXTSTEP.

Apple and NeXT are one and the same, so it is "theirs". Of course it's a generic concept and nobody can "own" it.

^ I wish that was true bit the patent system in the USA allows for some pretty inexcusable things.

Even if apple can claim ownership of the dock as a unique invention: they shouldn't be able to.

If anybody else on neowin finds the state of software patents disgusting I encouage them to head to change.gov and vote up the comments requesting the new administration take a look at patent/copyright reform.

Apple and NeXT are one and the same, so it is "theirs". Of course it's a generic concept and nobody can "own" it.

Now they are, but back then when the conception of the dock was first realized, they were in direct competition with Apple and with Steve Jobs was their CEO he stated in his interview that he wanted to see Apple crushed... ironically, 3 years later he returned to Apple.

News: Apple sued becoz stealing GUI concept from Xerox.

News: Ubuntu sued becoz stealing GUI components from Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS X.

Looks like it hasn't stopped Microsoft blatantly copying it. I'm just amazed how low Microsoft are willing to go.

You mean like when Apple ripped the GUI idea from Xerox?

Last time I checked, Dell bundles its PC's with a dock yet I don't see Apple complaining now, do I?

Scirwode

Only idiots would think that apple invented the dock.

I guess apple fans need something?

Never said that. But Microsoft is sure great at ripping ideas from Apple. :laugh:

You mean like when Apple ripped the GUI idea from Xerox?

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were both invited to Xerox to view what the Xerox team was working on.

Apple took some ideas so did Microsoft. But I guess that wouldn't work with your spam would it? :laugh:

Funny how people are standing up for Microsoft blatantly ripping off what is clearly an Apple refinement to the UI.

?nerds at their best, I guess.:laugh::

In a deal. Apple purchased NeXTSTEP and their operating systems (headed by Steve Jobs) that became OS X.;))

The idea of a program dock pre-dates OS X by a fair amount, even then it's just a row of icons.

Probably. But does that make it OK for Microsoft to copy closely Apple's implementation of the Dock?

Why doesn't Microsoft just scrap the Superbar (in its current form) and rip the Dock from Apple completely - at least then the SupeDock> would be usable and sensible.

To be fair, it's a concept and not a publicly released product. Maybe that's just a placeholder?

Maybe you're just ****ed because MS and Apple are both copying others, but microsoft is doing it much better?

aww.

I can't wait how Apple will react to Windows 7. The new Mac & PC Ad's are going to be a hoot I think.

post-262662-1232180576.jpg

Now just change 'Tiger' to 'Snow Leopard'. History repeats.

:laugh:

This is even better and so true.

post-262662-1232180935.jpg

Never said that. But Microsoft is sure great at ripping ideas from Apple. :laugh:

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were both invited to Xerox to view what the Xerox team was working on.

Apple took some ideas so did Microsoft. But I guess that wouldn't work with your spam would it? :laugh:

Funny how people are standing up for Microsoft blatantly ripping off what is clearly an Apple refinement to the UI.

?nerds at their best, I guess.:laugh::

In a deal. Apple purchased NeXTSTEP and their operating systems (headed by Steve Jobs) that became OS X.;))

Probably. But does that make it OK for Microsoft to copy closely Apple's implementation of the Dock?

Why doesn't Microsoft just scrap the Superbar (in its current form) and rip the Dock from Apple completely - at least then the SupeDock> would be usable and sensible.

Because the dock isn't that great? I prefer the taskbar. And before you start I use OSX and Vista both almost daily.

Having the bottom of my screen become almost completely useless with the dock is not something I consider good.

Why doesn't Microsoft just scrap the Superbar (in its current form) and rip the Dock from Apple completely - at least then the SuperDock would be usable and sensible.

Now I get it. You're one of those iSheep that has blind faith in Apple no matter what. That everything they do is perfect and superior to everything else. If an alternative is ever done by Microsoft or someone else, it's evil.

But what's most funny is you clearly know very little about interface design. The Windows taskbar has always been far superior to the Dock, because it takes advantage of Fitts' Law. And the taskbar in Windows 7 most certainly is not a copy of the Dock in Mac OS X. Maybe they look similar, but it's quite obvious to anyone who has an open mind and not blind OS loyalty that the Windows 7 taskbar is simply an evolution of the taskbar in previous versions, in that it combines the Quick Launch toolbar (which has been around for 14 years) with the taskbar application buttons (which also debuted some 14 years ago.)

The taskbar is much better than the Dock because the former is a window manager and an application launcher. The Dock is simply an application launcher. With the Windows 7 taskbar, it has a static size and shape that is always docked to the corner of your screen, whether it be the bottom, top, left or right. The extreme corners will always activate either the Start menu or Aero Peek. And now you can pin icons to the taskbar and arrange them into a specific order. Because this order is locked down and will never change location, size or shape, the Windows 7 taskbar now encourages muscle memory. All taskbar behavior is predictable and allows for easy access. Pinned icons work as application launchers when clicked. And then once clicked, those same icons become window managers by offering thumbnail previews that you simply hover over to toggle between.

By contrast, the Dock (in its default configuration) is a mess. It's centered, which means as you add icons to it, everything moves to the left and right. Icons magnify as you hover over them as well, which means that while everything is moving, everything is changing in size, too. With the Dock's default behavior, it's a usability nightmare. And Apple knows this. This is why they added Expose to Panther and quickly allowed users to turn off magnification. The Dock is an application launcher that does not adhere very well to Fitts' Law. (Unless you are able to find the hidden, undocumented functionality that lets you move the Dock to the left or right corners.) So while the Dock is a decent application launcher, it's not nearly as good as the taskbar, which does two tasks very well and predictably. Here's another man's opinion on the major downfalls of the Dock.

But, of course, once Microsoft introduces evolutionary change, they've automatically copied Apple. I forgot that Microsoft can never be innovative or come up with good ideas. Of course, when they invented Instant Search, Apple seemed to think it was a great idea to copy and put into their OS as Spotlight. I also forgot that Apple does nothing but innovate, like that time they copied virtual desktops from Linux and widgets from Konfabulator.

Look, I like and use both operating systems on a daily basis, but it's posts like the one I've quoted that give Mac users the stereotype of being elitist, zealous snobs. Whether you prefer Windows or Mac OS X, the fact of the matter is that each have their pros and cons, and Microsoft and Apple are equally innovative in their fields, even if doesn't always seem this way. Microsoft and Apple operate in an industry that is built upon copying other people's ideas and improving upon them. The reason every operating system release gets better and better over time is because it's full of ideas that have been copied and improved from other sources. Competition is a very good thing, as it gives consumers better products for less.

"Good artists create. Great artists steal." --Picasso

Because the dock isn't that great? I prefer the taskbar. And before you start I use OSX and Vista both almost daily.

Having the bottom of my screen become almost completely useless with the dock is not something I consider good.

Hide Dock