Microsoft love the OS X Dock.

Now I get it. You're one of those iSheep that has blind faith in Apple no matter what. That everything they do is perfect and superior to everything else. If an alternative is ever done by Microsoft or someone else, it's evil.

"Good artists create. Great artists steal." --Picasso

:laugh: Are you on the beta as a beta tester? Have you checked the newsgroups, there are a lot of beta testers who find the new superbar ridiculous. Are they all iSheep?

So basically, this thread confrims many of the stereotypes you hear about apple users, and also reminded me why I never come to this section.

Then there must be a lot of apple users in the Microsoft beta. Because if you looked carefully, you would read a lot of dissatisfaction with the superbar.

:laugh: Are you on the beta as a beta tester? Have you checked the newsgroups, there are a lot of beta testers who find the new superbar ridiculous. Are they all iSheep?

Of course some are going to find it ridiculous. People are creatures of habit and dislike change. Just because some dislike the changes doesn't mean that the taskbar isn't a superior solution to the Dock.

There are people who use Mac OS X and don't like the Dock, so they've ditched it in favor of DragThing. Does that mean the Dock was a bad idea? No, it doesn't. It just means that no one element of any OS will be universally loved.

And yes, I am running the Windows 7 beta, and I have checked the newsgroups. It's pretty much what I was expecting: some love it, others hate it. Same with Mac OS X, Ubuntu and every other OS.

Then there must be a lot of apple users in the Microsoft beta. Because if you looked carefully, you would read a lot of dissatisfaction with the superbar.

And if you don't look so carefully, you'll also find lots of satisfaction with the improved taskbar, including many mainstream technology sites.

Hiding the Dock and the taskbar are not great alternatives from a usability standpoint. As discussed in the article I linked to, when you hide either the Dock or the taskbar, you introduce somewhat chaotic behavior, as you will not be able to predict where your cursor will be, meaning that you are often forced to scrub icons, which is not how the hand was designed to move.

A Question of Taste (Steve Jobs and Bill Gates)

Yeah you're right. Microsoft and Bill Gates has no taste.

That's because while Steve Jobs was busy stealing great ideas shamelessly, Bill Gates was busy taking 90% of the consumer market.

Of course, "taste" is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone is universally in love with Steve Jobs and Apple as you seem to be. I wonder what you'll do when Steve Jobs leaves Apple for good.

Probably. But does that make it OK for Microsoft to copy closely Apple's implementation of the Dock?

Why doesn't Microsoft just scrap the Superbar (in its current form) and rip the Dock from Apple completely - at least then the SuperDock would be usable and sensible.

Have you tried them both? I have, they're similar in that they show the running processes and you can add shortcuts to programs and documents.

Guess what, you can do that in Vista, and XP and ME, 2000, 98.

It's a refinement of a idea MS has implemented for a decade, and even then it's a generic idea.

That's because while Steve Jobs was busy stealing great ideas shamelessly, Bill Gates was busy taking 90% of the consumer market.

Bill Gates never stole ideas? :laugh: You're seriously deluded if you actually believe what you posted there.

Bill Gates never stole ideas? :laugh: You're seriously deluded if you actually believe what you posted there.

Where exactly did I say that Bill Gates never stole great ideas? I didn't, I said that he was busying taking 90% of the market.

Microsoft copies on Apple, Apple copies on Microsoft, and the wheel goes round round...

I guess. But what ideas did Apple steal from Microsoft?!

Where exactly did I say that Bill Gates never stole great ideas? I didn't, I said that he was busying taking 90% of the market.

Microsoft is immune to stealing ideas from Apple alone?

Oh look, you edited your post. To be expected.

Steve Jobs has outsourced ALL of Apples manufacturing to China, "Lost Jobs for Americans" now that's great taste

:rolleyes:

IBM and Dell did the same.

:rolleyes:

Have you tried them both? I have, they're similar in that they show the running processes and you can add shortcuts to programs and documents.

To me the superbar looks and feel a lot like the dock in OS X 10.1 - the idea is there, but implementation needs work.

I guess. But what ideas did Apple steal from Microsoft?!

Instant Search is just one example. Microsoft originally demonstrated Instant Search in 2002, as part of ongoing work with Longhorn. Instant Search was designed to ship with Longhorn, and it did, when Vista was finally released in 2006. As Steve Jobs said, he's shameless about stealing great ideas. So he and his team copied Instant Search, dubbed it Spotlight and brought it to market first in Mac OS X Tiger. And you know what? That's great. It gave Mac users a better operating system.

Instant Search is just one example. Microsoft originally demonstrated Instant Search in 2002, as part of ongoing work with Longhorn. Instant Search was designed to ship with Longhorn, and it did, when Vista was finally released in 2006. As Steve Jobs said, he's shameless about stealing great ideas. So he and his team copied Instant Search, dubbed it Spotlight and brought it to market first in Mac OS X Tiger. And you know what? That's great. It gave Mac users a better operating system.

Prefer Spotlight. It's far more feature rich, better implemented and supports plugins.

And Apple demonstrated instant searching back when Copland was still the next OS release, searching for files quickly is hardly an innovative idea.

Edit: And MS demonstrated it when Cairo was the "next generation" Windows OS.

Oh look, you edited your post. To be expected.

I edited my post because what I originally posted wasn't worded properly and irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

IBM and Dell did the same.

This is true, and no one denies this. Outsourcing is never in good taste, in my opinion. All technology corporations are guilty of this.

To me the superbar looks and feel a lot like the dock in OS X 10.1 - the idea is there, but implementation needs work.

And that's why it's a public beta. If you feel that it's like the Dock in 10.1 (why 10.1 vs. any other version of Mac OS X?), the idea of beta testing is you submit feedback. What can be done to make it not feel like the Dock in 10.1? (Of course, you're supposed to be open minded when submitting feedback.)

Prefer Spotlight. It's far more feature rich, better implemented and supports plugins.

You're correct about it supporting plug-ins, and that demonstrates Steve Jobs's philosophy. He took a good idea and made it better. But what exactly makes Spotlight better implemented into the OS? Because I really don't find it to be any better or worse than Instant Search in Vista/7. They both fully index your system and find files near instantly. They are both built into key areas of the OS and can both be activated via mouse clicks of keyboard shortcuts.

Link: Microsoft opens fake store to demo utopian retail experience; begs question why not open a real store - Long Zheng's 'istartedsomething.com'

Open link then go to approx. 0:54 :laugh: Redmond has been busy, copying the OS X Dock!!

post-262662-1232172231.jpg

Gee Microsoft just love the OS X Dock don't they? First they take the idea and base their new superbar on the OS X Dock, in Win 7.

Now they rip the dock off in their own 'Retail Experience Store'. Far out!

don't be a spacka child.

there are countless applications out there that have this sort of navigation method. what would you propose they do instead?

If it's one thing I hate about (previously) owning a Mac, it's having to be grouped with the huge majority of brain-dead Mac zealots.

LTD is still unfortunately one of the few Mac posters I respect on this forum.

If it's one thing I hate about (previously) owning a Mac, it's having to be grouped with the huge majority of brain-dead Mac zealots.

LTD is still unfortunately one of the few Mac posters I respect on this forum.

you clearly missed this comedy

I can't wait how Apple will react to Windows 7. The new Mac & PC Ad's are going to be a hoot I think.

post-262662-1232180576.jpg

Now just change 'Tiger' to 'Snow Leopard'. History repeats.

:laugh:

This is even better and so true.

post-262662-1232180935.jpg

thats wasnt really funny. im not surprised that steve jobs is shriveling up in his own jealousy.

And that's why it's a public beta. If you feel that it's like the Dock in 10.1 (why 10.1 vs. any other version of Mac OS X?), the idea of beta testing is you submit feedback. What can be done to make it not feel like the Dock in 10.1? (Of course, you're supposed to be open minded when submitting feedback.)

I understand this. I'm no fool, no matter what some think. ;)

However when looking through superbar / new taskbar feedback logged to Microsoft, with suggestions and honest problems and Microsoft closes dozens with 'Won't Fix' - how would that make you feel? Would you still feel confident that Microsoft really wants superbar feedback or have they already made up their minds? Why does Microsoft run a beta and invite past beta testers, asking for feedback, when all they appear to do with that feedback is close it promptly. :/

Anyway. Good debate.