Microsoft love the OS X Dock.

You claim to be new to the Mac and iVerse but sure seem like a veteran fanboi D-Nozzle down to the MS tinged inferiority complex. You must be a real quick learner having visited all those Mac forums since the switch. Happy trails in honing those skillz. ;)

Did a young Bill Gates openly admit to owing Microsoft's success to apple and then Modding Mac OS and publishing their own version aptly called Windows?

Bill has historically made such admissions and ones that closely relate. Even admitting in a roundabout and very diplomatic way that he wasn't all that proud of Vista. Perhaps it was just him misspeaking under pressure, perhaps not.

You claim to be new to the Mac and iVerse but sure seem like a veteran fanboi D-Nozzle down to the MS tinged inferiority complex. You must be a real quick learner having visited all those Mac forums since the switch. Happy trails in honing those skillz. ;)

Hahaha!

who cares if MS is using a dock on a kiosk for a store, i honestly dont see what the big deal is...

Microsoft should be promoting their craptacular superbar, if it were such an amazing evolution of the taskbar and what do they do instead? :laugh:

At least i can buy a cheap PC and have some nice Windows7 features.

Ever heard of Mac Mini? Cheap and all the great features of OS X!

+2 Can't we learn to all get along together :D... I guess not :p

Hmm. Well Microsoft blatantly does a dock in their designer store mockup and it's clear that they copied Apple but Micronerdfanboys deny the freeken obvious. That's far far more sad than what Microsoft did there.

Did a young Bill Gates openly admit to owing Microsoft's success to apple and then Modding Mac OS and publishing their own version aptly called Windows?

(Y) Cool Hand Luke - great link. :laugh: Why did you have to destroy all these micronerdfanboys arguments with just one link... :yes:

^ You have to admit the one in the vid looks very similar to the OS X dock. The Blackberry Bold, well, anyone could've done that.

Apple gave the idea a distinct look by making all the icons "sit" on a dock rather than having icons sit in their own little box.

The one in the vid is a stupid advertising system! It's not a Microsoft OS. I can name a hundred different things that use navigation menus at the bottom and none of them are related to Microsoft or Apple. That's just stupid...

wow... it takes very little to **** off Apple fanboys apparently.

Yep, they sure are a cranky bunch. They take off of their Linux brethren.

The one in the vid is a stupid advertising system! It's not a Microsoft OS. I can name a hundred different things that use navigation menus at the bottom and none of them are related to Microsoft or Apple. That's just stupid...

You called something that Microsoft did.. Stupid.. :o You displease your technology God. You are banished from the fold.

You called something that Microsoft did.. Stupid.. :o You displease your technology God. You are banished from the fold.

Unlike Mac fanatics with beloved Apple, I am not naive to know when Microsoft screws something up.

Hasn't Apple stolen most of the new things in Snow Leopard from Microsoft?

Considering there's very little news about Snow Leopard, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. And besides, Snow Leopard is more of a performance update than new features.

Hmm. Really... Do tell, shower us with your technical gurudom and inspire our imagination.

Considering there's very little news about Snow Leopard, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. And besides, Snow Leopard is more of a performance update than new features.

Which OS is already completely 64-bit (which OS X won't be with Snow Leopard, although the kernel will finally be)?

I'll give you a hint, it starts with a W.

Which OS already has all the "security enhancements" from another thread here?

Again, it starts with a W.

Ergo, Apple stole it from Microsoft because Windows had it first. And the list goes on!

Why is all mac users so busy with windows and microsoft..

90% of windows users, if not more, dont give two ****s about apple..

And yet you cared so much you posted your broad generalization peppered with ****'s. We should feel honored.

It truly is fascinating how quickly some people go from sane to stupid after an Apple switch.

Actually. I use both. 1 iMac (second coming soon) and 2 PC's here. But I guess its fun to post 'facts' when you really don't know them.

Which OS is already completely 64-bit (which OS X won't be with Snow Leopard, although the kernel will finally be)?

I'll give you a hint, it starts with a W.

Ergo, Apple stole it from Microsoft because Windows had it first. And the list goes on!

Far out. You shimmer with technical gurudom and depth of knowledge. And I thought you were just going to post something stupid.

I give up what OS that starts with W is completely 64-bit? Don't know of one.

Those security enhancements are hardware based and by Intel not Microsoft. Microsoft just added support for them.

You sound like you believe that '64-bit' is somehow synonymous with Windows and that Microsoft invented 'it'. :laugh: The 64-bit standard being used now was actually developed and popularized by AMD.

Edited by Denholm

By "security enhancements" you must mean antivirus, antitrojan, antimalware and anticrapware programs that only W has?

Apple didn't steal 64-bit from Microsoft. It's not a feature, it's evolution. In time, all operating systems will be 64-bit. You could say that Microsoft stole 16-bit, for example. You can't really "steal" technical evolution. What can be "borrowed" are end-user features.

No, they haven't. Again, Snow Leopard is largely a technical upgrade, much like what Vista was. It will bring increase performance and matured features. True, it will introduce hardware acceleration that Vista already had, but it's certainly not a new technology. It's been around in games for a very long time, it's only recently though that operating systems have really taken hold of it.

Most of the known upgrades in Snow Leopard will simply improve QuickTime and media playback, the kernel, things like that. Things that are already there that can only be evolved further. Unless Apple flat-out "borrows" some kind of end-user feature, then no, you can't say that Apple "stole" anything from Microsoft in this case.

Sure I can! The 64-bit kernel is brand new! Windows already has that, so clearly they stole the idea from Microsoft.

Just kidding, it was actually Bill who stole it from OS X in the future and then went back in time and included it in Windows.

And Microsoft is unloading some development to Microsoft India. Probably due to cheap labor I would guess. Oh wait, Microsoft wouldn't do that! Right? :unsure:

Are you really that stupid? :rolleyes:

Microsoft has Designers and Engineers ALL over the world, Microsoft Is a global corporation, and are you really suggesting that these Designers and Engineers are working for slave wages at a sweetshop?

:rolleyes:

And during an interview in Triumph of the Nerds, an older Steve Jobs openly admitted to shamelessly stealing great ideas, like Xerox's GUI. They largely "modded" the GUI and published their own version that morphed into the Mac OS.

Again, that's how the industry works. You see an idea, you build upon it and you release your own version. Steve Jobs did an excellent job with the original Macintosh, and he deserves full credit for helping to bring the GUI into the consumer market.

And so Bill Gates did the same thing. He saw a great idea, namely Apple's quest to bring the GUI to the consumer market, and he did something similar, except he brought the GUI to the IBM PC. Both Gates and Jobs have many times in the past built upon great ideas of others. As I've stated multiple times, that's what this industry is all about: competition. One person does something, another person does something similar. Thanks to the competition between Apple and Microsoft, all the consumers win. Whether you prefer Windows or Mac OS X, you have a perfectly usable GUI environment, and we can thank Xerox, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates for most of that.

Sure I can! The 64-bit kernel is brand new! Windows already has that, so clearly they stole the idea from Microsoft.

Just kidding, it was actually Bill who stole it from OS X in the future and then went back in time and included it in Windows.

Except neither Microsoft nor Apple can claim to have "invented" the 64-bit kernel.

In fact, 64-bit kernels are quite old, dating back to the late 80s and early 1990s. But hardware is generally far more advanced than software. It took much longer for 64-bit software to emerge than it did for a 64-bit processor. We are now finally in an age where more and more people are moving to 64-bit software and hardware, so of course both Windows and Mac OS X will move to take advantage of all the advantages of 64-bit technology. 64-bit technology is there for everyone to use, and therefore no one company or individual can truly claim to have "invented" it.

True, it will introduce hardware acceleration that Vista already had, but it's certainly not a new technology. It's been around in games for a very long time, it's only recently though that operating systems have really taken hold of it.

Actually close but not really true. Snow Leopard will allow App's to use GPU cycles to process data. Vista allows the UI to be rendered fully in the GPU only.

Are you really that stupid? :rolleyes:

Microsoft has Designers and Engineers ALL over the world, Microsoft Is a global corporation, and are you really suggesting that these Designers and Engineers are working for slave wages at a sweetshop?

That's how it starts. It's a slow rot but it's there. In time, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft shifts even more American jobs overseas.

Oh so... Now it comes together, OS X core UNIX kernel is actually stolen from Microsoft. Insane much?

In time, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft shifts even more American jobs overseas.

With the way the economy is going, this probably will happen. But not just Microsoft. Expect nearly all large companies to begin even more outsourcing.

Oh so... Now it comes together, OS X core UNIX kernel is actually stolen from Microsoft. Insane much?

I don't know who said that, but that's clearly not true. Apple nor Microsoft invented Unix, which was actually developed by AT&T in the 1960s. Apple uses Darwin, a Unix-like kernel and Microsoft uses Windows NT, a kernel they developed in 1993.

Whoever stated that Apple "stole" the Darwin kernel from Microsoft is clearly misinformed.

Actually close but not really true. Snow Leopard will allow App's to use GPU cycles to process data. Vista allows the UI to be rendered fully in the GPU only.

Folding@Home on Windows can use the GPU to process data so its really up to the developer.

In fact, 64-bit kernels are quite old, dating back to the late 80s and early 1990s.

Right. I think it was IRIX that was first to support 64-bit processing.

Since IRIX is a 'UNIX', it is in reality a forefather to NeXTSTEP and OSX. So technically... ;)

No, they stole the idea from Microsoft! How convenient that they're suddenly bringing out a 64-bit OS now that 64-bit Windows is gaining momentum and even Adobe has ported their flagship products to it!

Yeah, sure it's a coincidence!

Right. I think it was IRIX that was first to support 64-bit processing.

Since IRIX is a 'UNIX', it is in reality a forefather to NeXTSTEP and OSX. So technically... ;)

That's like saying I'm your grandpa because we're both human and descended from the same earlier species.