So.. for all the mac users who have tried windows 7...

What do you think? Is it a nice step up from windows vista? Is it at a stage or ever will be at a stage where you will use it more then you have past windows versions, or dare i even say make you switch! I know i tested myself to see if it would make me want to switch. I wiped OS X off my mini completely and did nothing but 7 for about 2 weeks or so. I must say it has improved greatly over vista already! However..today i realized how much I miss mac and went back

IMHO - it wasn't worth the switch back for me.

I have been fond of XP for a long time, even have tried all flavors of Vista and still no switch. For me, it isn't a Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux thing. I just found that the Mac was my cup of tea for the time as far as abilities for my requirements. Sure, a PC could do it an all, but the Mac was where I was heading to and the time was right to do it when I did. For me, most anything I could want to do on Windows, I can do on the Mac with either similar software or the same.

Liked vista interface better but some new implements could be worth it. On the other hand you will never get me to go back to MS's over bloated OS full of crap and more crap OS X is all I need and it does it extremely well.

It was good. Much better than I expected it to be. It's not as good as OS X, but it is very close. But for me its not enough to get me to leave OS X. But its very close.

My PC use still decrease... Win7 didn't help it.

I didn't wanted to full convert to Mac, but it seems it will :s

It seems the miniature RDF generator is working! :laugh:

^ swings in roundabouts, a lot of Microsoft users slate the others and nix the same, round and round we go!

theres some rather funny spooks with Im a PC, Im a Mac and im Linux :) have a search

Aren't it like an unwritten rule for Mac users to hate Microsoft no matter what because they must be fanboys?

I used to be a avid PC user but got sick and tired of all the BS trying to keep it running in every aspect, I haven't had to worry about a single thing with MAC for almost 2 years now it just works so, hush your mouth..:)

Edited by Sillysam

I think Windows 7 is better than Leopard. At the very least, specific elements in Windows 7, like the taskbar, are far better than the equivalents in Leopard. I never fully "switched" to one platform or another. I have and use Windows and Mac OS X for various purposes, but I have found myself using Windows 7 more in the past week than I have Leopard.

Running Windows 7 on my unibody MacBook via Boot Camp is great. It runs better than Leopard does, from my experiences.

Aren't it like an unwritten rule for Mac users to hate Microsoft no matter what because they must be fanboys?

That's the unwritten rule for iSheep who are blind with Apple loyalty and will defend Apple at any cost, no matter the issue.

Intelligent Mac users, however, who see outside the RDF understand that a Mac is just a computer, not a life decision. Therefore, I would hope that most Mac users keep open minds about the competition.

Running Windows 7 on my unibody MacBook via Boot Camp is great. It runs better than Leopard does, from my experiences.

I must agree that Windows 7 did run just as fast if not a tad faster on my mini

Nice OS, but it has the same eccentricities of classic Windows, which I have moved on from. This means non-standard gui interfaces, non-standard keyboard shortcuts, and other little perks which separate OS X from the norm.

In terms of actual software apps: adium, time machine, growl, terminal, bowtie, preview, fontcase, candybar, keynote, system preferences.

But all in all, I can't let go of dmg drag/drop installs, application preference files management (no registry), cmd+h, standard menubar, hot corners, column view, quick look, dialog sheets, etc.

I'm thinking of switching to Mac (getting a Macbook soon) even after trying out W7. W7 is great but just not as great as I thought. I imagined a whole new OS, not an expansion pack that happens to include Vista AIO. :p

I'm thinking of switching to Mac (getting a Macbook soon) even after trying out W7. W7 is great but just not as great as I thought. I imagined a whole new OS, not an expansion pack that happens to include Vista AIO. :p

By your definition, very few operating system releases are "new." Most are just evolutionary releases, like Windows 7, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc. Mac OS X was totally new back in 2000, as was Windows Vista in 2007. But since then, subsequent Mac OS X and Windows releases have been more like "expansion packs."

No, but in today's world we don't have to keep giving MS another chance because they've finally made overdue improvements to their previous OS.

MS is MS. Windows will still be Windows. Windows will still face the same driver issues, will still be the subject of countless attacks (that will still sting the less vigilant), will still need defragmenting and other forms of babysitting, will still need third party software to keep it from grinding to a complete halt and falling over, will still be less stable compared to OS X, will still have the same apps and the respective qualities they've always had, will still not be quite as friendly or intuitive as OS X (the design culture at MS precludes this), will still be built on the same code as Vista (until that changes), will still be an OS that has to appeal to everyone and their dog (as always), etc., etc.

New (well, kind of) OS, but same design culture, same business model, same development and design priorities, same attitudes regarding the user experience, same Microsoft.

Edited by LTD

Nice OS, but it has the same eccentricities of classic Windows, which I have moved on from. This means non-standard gui interfaces, non-standard keyboard shortcuts, and other little perks which separate OS X from the norm.

In terms of actual software apps: adium, time machine, growl, terminal, bowtie, preview, fontcase, candybar, keynote, system preferences.

But all in all, I can't let go of dmg drag/drop installs, application preference files management (no registry), cmd+h, standard menubar, hot corners, column view, quick look, dialog sheets, etc.

LOL....I missed adium SO much. I kind of felt like i didnt know what i as doing when i had to get spyware/virus protection..plus having to defrag hard drive..yada yada

MS is MS. Windows will still be Windows. Windows will still face the same driver issues, will still be the subject of countless attacks (that will still sting the less vigilant), will still need defragmenting and other forms of babysitting,

Hardly any modern journaled file systems need defragging anymore. NTFS is no different. We are long done with the 9x days. You also declined to mention that all operating systems need maintenance at some point or another, and all modern operating systems already run automated scripts that do this.

will still need third party software to keep it from grinding to a complete halt and falling over,

Please list all the third-party software that I need to keep Windows from "grinding to a halt," because my secondary PC that runs Vista has not needed a reboot in two months and runs incredible quick.

will still be less stable compared to OS X,

Please provide sufficient, documented proof that Windows is "less stable" than Mac OS X. This has become as much of a myth as the "Mac users can't right-click" legend.

will still have the same apps and the respective qualities they've always had,

Because developers are not capable of changing, right? I'm also curious to know what "respective quality" it is you're referring to, because both Mac OS X and Windows alike have terrible applications and great applications.

will still not be quite as friendly or intuitive as OS X (the design culture at MS precludes this),
A completely biased and misleading claim. First, there is no such thing as "user-friendly." It's a myth. It all comes down to what each individual user is more comfortable with using. You obviously love Mac OS X, and I don't. Right away, Windows is more user-friendly for me, and it's not for you. And also please explain more about this "design culture" at Microsoft.
will still be built on the same code as Vista (until that changes),

You talk as if this is a bad thing. Vista is built upon the NT kernel, which is extremely robust and stable. Why would Microsoft build something completely new when the NT kernel is not broken? Should Apple stop using the Darwin kernel just because it's getting old?

will still be an OS that has to appeal to everyone and their dog (as always), etc., etc.

And that fact that it appeals to everyone and their dog is the reason it owns upwards of 90% of the market.

Oh no the flames!

I see no flames. Discussion is what the forums are here for. People can have different opinions and discuss them like an adult with no flaming.

i love it honestly, i dual boot vista on my macbook, just for a change up once in a while

and i triple boot vista 64, OSX86, and Win7 on my girlfriends GT4024 (just to get any job done ;) )

so its not that i hate windows, its that osx is just nicer(expecially on my macbook)

but win7 is beautiful on her desktop!

Oh no the flames!

If by "flaming" you mean not drinking the RDF Kool-Aid, then I agree. I just don't like to see FUD being spread about operating systems, whether it's Microsoft zealots bashing Apple or Apple fans bashing Microsoft.

Windows7 will probably be what Vista was meant to be.

I tried it, ran it on my PC for a bit. It's better performing and better on resources that Windows Vista, but it's compatibility, superbar and 'Google Envy' Explorer UI were things I didn't like about it.

So overall, good effort. Microsoft is doing good with Windows7 - but it's not a product I will purchase or use.