Warhammer 40K: Dawn Of War II

The trouble and question is that is this expansion worth the money compared to the many other games that are coming out at pretty much the exact same time. Between Battlefield Bad Company 2, Assassins Creed 2(pc), and DAO: Awakening...what makes this one stand out? I guess I'll probably wait a while to get it off Steam for $15-20. I think they picked a pretty bad time to release it.

Edit: thinking about it a little more, all those games offer different play types though so who knows how it will compete against them.

For sure, waiting is an option when it is a bit pricy. I guess we will have more info about how much new stuff is in the game closer to release. I'm gonna wait a bit when it comes to Napoleon Total War, which isn't an expansion but in reality should have been one to Empire Total War. Especially since there was so much problems with ETW at release.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the co-op campaign again with my buddy. I remember why I bought it in the first place. I'm definitely pre-ordering this expansion. :)

I want to order from the thq store so I can get the Librarian armor but I don't know if that would work with Steam, does anyone know how that would work? My DoWII is on Steam, that's the only thing that's keeping me from ordering it right now. And apparently the Saints Row 2 extra is happening on the thq store too.

Steam doesn't say DoWII is required so I'm assuming it's a stand alone expansion? I'm pretty sure that's how all the Dawn of War series expansions worked. Hmmm.

For those that don't have Dawn of War II this is a pretty good deal here..

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=76940

Dawn of War II Gold Edition, it contains the first game and Chaos Rising for $40. If I didn't already have the original game I would get that.

Most people reading this thread probably already have the game though. :laugh:

Haha, true. It's a shame the Steam version doesn't have any pre-order bonuses.

Apparently, like DoWII, Chaos Rising is a Steamworks game as well. I totally forgot that Steam was a requirement for DoWII. So I'm buying from the THQ store so I can get the Librarian armor. :yes:

Yeah...I'm a nerd for pre order bonuses.The items you get are here for those wondering what they are:

- Sword of the Codicier (Level 20 Force Sword)

- Mantle of the Codicier (Level 20 Force Sword)

- Tome of Displacement (Level 20 Rare Tome)

- Obsidian Raven (Level 20 Rare Relic)

• 2 weeks later...

How in the world do you buy it from the THQ Store? I added it to my shopping cart and filled out the required information (billing, etc). I click on submit and it brings me to an empty shopping cart. :dontgetit:

How in the world do you buy it from the THQ Store? I added it to my shopping cart and filled out the required information (billing, etc). I click on submit and it brings me to an empty shopping cart. :dontgetit:

try with IE ? :)

try with IE ? :)

I did - same thing. I did notice this though...

The following products are restricted by the billing country you specified.

Apparently you can't buy it in Canada from the THQ Store. :/

I did - same thing. I did notice this though...

Apparently you can't buy it in Canada from the THQ Store. :/

Oh, that's lame. I wasn't aware of that.

I just opened up Steam and DoWII just started downloading an update! It seems to be pretty substantial in size, too. So I think it's adding the Chaos Rising stuff.

Oh, that's lame. I wasn't aware of that.

I just opened up Steam and DoWII just started downloading an update! It seems to be pretty substantial in size, too. So I think it's adding the Chaos Rising stuff.

Lame indeed. I really wanted the pre-order items. Oh well, I'll probably buy it on Steam by next week. I noticed the update too. It added the new units, maps, and FFA mode (see here). By the way, trag3dy - add me to your friends list. My Gamertag is Anaron.

Lame indeed. I really wanted the pre-order items. Oh well, I'll probably buy it on Steam by next week. I noticed the update too. It added the new units, maps, and FFA mode (see here). By the way, trag3dy - add me to your friends list. My Gamertag is Anaron.

I'm pretty sure I already have you on my friends list. I'll see when I get it installed though. I just got an email saying I can download it now. But I just input the key into Steam they gave me and it was already 70% done. :laugh:

I didn't get an email for my pre order items though so I'm not sure how that works.

Edit: Nvm, just got a separate email for that.

You're right. I already have you on my list as f3llyn. :p For some reason, I thought your Gamertag would be trag3dy.

You're right. I already have you on my list as f3llyn. :p For some reason, I thought your Gamertag would be trag3dy.

It's what I use in most games for my name. So if you see that it's probably me. :laugh:

I've read quite a few people have that problem. I haven't made it that far yet though so I don't know if I will experience it or not. The game seems to have been rushed quite a bit. I get this bug where sounds get stuck on during cut scenes so I can't hear the talking. Luckily they have sub titles. :rofl:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, second expansion announced.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/56606/Warhammer-40-000-Dawn-of-War-II-Retribution-Announced

Features a campaign from the Ork perspective, or in fact whichever race you choose as far as I understand it by reading the blurb.

WARHAMMER? 40,000?: DAWN OF WAR? II ? RETRIBUTION ANNOUNCED

New multi-race expansion coming for the critically acclaimed RTS from Relic Entertainment

Taking place years after the events in Dawn of War II: Chaos RisingTM, this title allows players to choose their perspective with the first multiple-race single player campaign in the Dawn of War II series. The first race to be revealed is the savage Orks, but no matter which race is chosen players will be taken on an epic journey through each story arc, revealing the answers to many questions left open in previous Dawn of War titles.

As well as the single player campaign, RetributionTM will feature new multiplayer units, maps and an entire new playable faction when it ships.

Jeff Lydell, Producer of Dawn of War II - Retribution commented: ?We all love the Blood Ravens here at Relic Entertainment, but there are also a lot of fans of the other races and armies out there so we decided that Retribution should allow the player the freedom to experience the campaign from the perspective they select.?

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II ? Retribution is scheduled to be released for Windows PC in the first quarter of 2011.

Announcement trailer

My guess is either dark eldar or necron, sides that would do fine with small elite units. IG just wouldn't work well for DoW2s smaller tactical style of play.