Neowin Giveaway: Windows Vista Ultimate Boxed (RED) Edition

Hey at least it's an incentive to sign up and post.

It's just like going through an application for credit and being declined. The app still goes on record, and it still looks good in statistics!

This member may have contributed nothing to the forum, but at least his registration makes February's stats look a bit better.

He registered in October '08 to apply for the October Annual Giveaway if I remember correctly ;)

I must admit that I never thought I would win, there are a lot more deserving people than me. It's true that I've only posted twice, both in competitions. However if you don't try, you don't win.

Rest assured that I will be taking a more active part in the Neowin forums now that I have a bit more free time - usually I only have time to take a quick glance at the news and some interesting topics in the forum, and then get back to work.

Sorry to any of you that think I shouldn't have won, but as it's random, it's out of my hands!

Regardless of when Chris signed up he won and that's that. Clearly he lurks and enters the competitions, there's nothing wrong with that he is still a visitor :)

I must admit that I never thought I would win, there are a lot more deserving people than me. It's true that I've only posted twice, both in competitions. However if you don't try, you don't win.

Rest assured that I will be taking a more active part in the Neowin forums now that I have a bit more free time - usually I only have time to take a quick glance at the news and some interesting topics in the forum, and then get back to work.

Sorry to any of you that think I shouldn't have won, but as it's random, it's out of my hands!

Dont worry its like this every time someone new wins people moan about how all the new people always win and that there should be restrictions on who can enter.

Congrats and enjoy Vista.

I'm not gonna bitch as it's cool that it's a totally open contest and that's great.. but seriously.. how many people in this thread just signed up for this competition? Would you guys ever do a similar contest for established members who've posted at least 500 comments or something?

i won't be entering anymore competitions. It is disgusting that some one can sign up just for the entry and win ... It should be a case of have at least 10 posts or something before hand to make it fair ... yes yes I know this sounds negative, but at least its an incentive to join before a competition?

Ahh well Neowin goes further down in my estimations....

Im still waiting for the forums to have the &newpost added, this was promised with the new update at least a month ago ... ho hum ...

i won't be entering anymore competitions. It is disgusting that some one can sign up just for the entry and win ... It should be a case of have at least 10 posts or something before hand to make it fair ... yes yes I know this sounds negative, but at least its an incentive to join before a competition?

I agree, just a pathetic media stunt to make the numbers look better, no 'respect' for its current userbase. I don't mind lurkers as much but people signing up purely for the competition, winning and the you never see them again, lame.

That's the thing though. How do you determine if someone has really contributed to the forums?

Post count? Yeah anyone can easily spam 100 posts.

At least a member for 3 months? Well, he did register in October.

Besides, if contribution is the criteria, I guess the only ones participating would be Mods, MVCs, and Veterans. Would you think THAT's fair?

Yeah it's a bit silly to give away things to people who've just signed up, but hey, it's obvious why NW has competitions like this - To pump the stats up. Maybe doing that will encourage even just 10% of all the registering people to continue posting, but so many will just hit and run.

We have had some creative competitions where some effort is required, eg, it's a proper competition, not just "reply and win". I hope we see more of those as opposed to these types as competitions where some sort of entry is required. It means people put in some effort and there should be no arguing or people spamming to reach a minimum post amount.

But congratulations to the winner anyway, even if you never post again you just followed the rules. Other sites do things like this as well, reply to this email, post a comment and what not - So don't get too heavy on NW, I just hope we get a good balance of competition types - The NW logo one was pretty good.

Come on guys give the guy a break. He won fair and square within the type of competition. There is nothing wrong with "enter and win" competitions. They are quick, painless and random. Plus, is just a free giveaway and not like we are paying for it or breaking our heads up to come up with something ( if it were a creative contest for example). It sure sucks when you really want to win but don't but still, you shouldn't be discouraged and/or blame someone/something.

Moreover, I think that making a competition and based it or restrict it on numbers of post is not a good idea. There are many people here that have been around for a long time and visit the site every day and not necessarily are posting actively all the time (for many reasons). Still, doesn't make that person less of a member or visitor In my opinion. So, let's just have some fun and enjoy the site and its contents. I'm sure there will be other future giveaways /competitions that we will give us the opportunity to win :)

Congrats Chris.

I think the next compotition shold only be open to people with more than 150 posts.

Yes, that and at least one month of membership before it (otherwise they'll quickly spam the required posts).