Apple Safari 4 Beta

Anyone not able to get the Top Sites and Cover Flow working, you need a compatible graphics card.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3410

I learned this the hard way after my Sony Vaio P BSOD'd every time I opened up a new tab. The only way Safari 4 is usable (on an Atom processor) is to turn off all the eye candy.

Running nicely here. Planning to make it the default browser once the final version is released.

It's Apple don't expect to have any say.

Hum, they don't answer but they listen.

Look, a big company like this may receive 1000 of suggestions per day. I'd love to see you read all of them and respond to all of them and send all of them to the appropriate department, then elaborate on the idea, then asking for coders to implement it. Everything would become bloated and you'd go bankrupt right away.

Also, when they listen to certain suggestions, you don't get them right away. Maybe in the next version or something, so a year from the day you ask for it.

They do have a suggestions box, but they're human, geez...

It's Apple don't expect to have any say.

So why making a public beta then? Oh yeah to find some bugs... IMO i think they also want to know what people think about it.... Even if it's apple :rolleyes:

Wasn't impressed by the speed of the coverflow start page, so slow as to be practically useless. Good eyecandy though.

Apart from the lack of ad blockers etc the speed was good but as they're unlikely to ever supports plugins unless they include common plugin functionality as standard I can't imagine using it regularly.

Apart from the lack of ad blockers etc the speed was good but as they're unlikely to ever supports plugins unless they include common plugin functionality as standard I can't imagine using it regularly.

There's adblock stuff for it. You can use a custom adblock .css file or plugins. SafariBlock is what I use.

I have a few issues with Safari 4.

@ Large installer and Apple tries to bundle crapware with it

@ Resource Hog

@ Might be a bit nippy but not as fast a some claim. Somewhere I saw an article claiming it was 76x faster than IE7.

@ Horrid native interfaces.

@ No Windows 7 support and Windows 2000 support.

1. Includes software you don't HAVE to install. Is a few extra mb's really that bad?

2. It's a beta, patience.

3. That was referring to executing Javascript, not general browsing.

4. I quite like them, especially XP. The toolbar buttons match better there, although Vista's could use a more native look.

5. Windows 7 isn't even released, relax. Windows 2000 should have support though.

Wonder how long it will take Apple to release an update for it. I've submitted quite a few bugs, nothing serious but minor annoyances I now have to deal with on a daily basis.

Runs fine on Windows 7 here.

Try and find me a company that actually *supports* Windows 7. Not even Microsoft does, hence the 'beta' tag.

I don't see a real reason why Apple should support Windows 2000, an almost nine year old operating system. At some point it's time to move on.

I have a few issues with Safari 4.

@ Large installer and Apple tries to bundle crapware with it

@ Resource Hog

@ Might be a bit nippy but not as fast a some claim. Somewhere I saw an article claiming it was 76x faster than IE7.

@ Horrid native interfaces.

@ No Windows 7 support and Windows 2000 support.

What crapware comes into it?

Did you seriously think it would transform your 56k Internet into an extra-fast cable connection? That 76x faster than IE7 must be related to javascript scripts. If you just surf as usual, you will see a difference, but certainly not 76x.

Windows 2000 won't happen, Apple doesn't support 9 years old software, and usually they don't support more than the latest 2 operating systemes of a company. Windows 7 will be supported though, when it's released.

I don't see a real reason why Apple should support Windows 2000, an almost nine year old operating system. At some point it's time to move on.

Not even Microsoft support Windows 2000 anymore. So yeah - time to move on.

Try and find me a company that actually *supports* Windows 7. Not even Microsoft does, hence the 'beta' tag.

nVidea, their new Windows 7 Beta drivers are out.

Not even Microsoft support Windows 2000 anymore. So yeah - time to move on.

Wrong Windows 2000 is still on extended support and gets security updates from Microsoft till 2010, lot of business' still use Windows 2000 and I have one old server with 2000 on.

I believe there's an option in the installer to not install it, so that should be a non-issue.

Not really. Even if you untick the "Automatically keep Apple software up to date" box, ASU is still installed.

thanks everybody for the terminal command for links opening in a new tab instead of a window, thats been bugging me for a while

thanks everybody for the terminal command for links opening in a new tab instead of a window, thats been bugging me for a while

I don't know why so many people are bugged by this, as I'm pretty sure I saw an option in the prefpane.

I just checked that option and never used a terminal code to my knowledge and it seems to work.

It must be me...

Wrong Windows 2000 is still on extended support and gets security updates from Microsoft till 2010, lot of business' still use Windows 2000 and I have one old server with 2000 on.

Security updates, ok. But: Any recent MS software - Office, Windows Live suite, newer versions of WMP and IE - do NOT work on Windows 2000.

So I should have been more specific and said '... support Windows 2000 with new apps.' in my original post.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try Safari 4 Public Beta 528.16. Overall, I am very impressed. It's quick and snappy. It provides a great user experience. I'm testing it on XP and Windows 7.

I should say I am a big Firefox fan but this browser from Apple shows a lot of promise. As a main browser I will stick with Firefox though simply because it offers many more features than Safari. :)