Apple Safari 4 Beta

Oh, wow! I am impressed!

I did not expect Apple to start creating applications which looked nice in Windows and I really hope this trend continues with an update to iTunes soon (I know iTunes 8 was released recently, but I'd rather them release iTunes 9 with a similar UI and no other features as soon as possible, than wait another half a year. iTunes desperately needs a similar interface)

Hopefully this will be out of beta by the time Windows 7 is released, along with an updated iTunes.

I always loved elements of Chrome's design, especially the transparency in Windows Vista/7 and the way the user interface displayed tabs. The new Safari is very similar to this, but in my opinion, much better.

I always hated Chrome's blueish colour in the interface and Safari 4's lightish grey goes very nicely with Windows. I also hated Chrome's folder icons which really put me off. They look so outdated, whereas I love Safari's blue ones.

EDIT - I also love the idea of Cover Flow in bookmarks and history - genius!

They've taken the best from Mac OS X and bought it over to Windows taking out all of the stuff which doesn't look good in Windows; also taking ideas from Google Chrome's successful interface whilst still keeping it their own and looking like an Apple product.

I really am impressed.

The only things I'm annoyed about are the memory consumption, as Rappy pointed out (it is using 114MB of memory with 2 tabs open for me :/) and the fact that they appear to have taken out that beautiful font rendering for the Windows version at least? :blink:

Also, certain things could do with some work - for example the favicon in the address bar needs to be bought a bit more to the right and I don't like how the close button looks on the tabs.

Could this make me switch over from my beloved Firefox?

Possibly, very much so!

That font rendering can be changed back in the options.

Can someone give me the link for the Mac version? My Mac Pro is very slow through LAN speeds while I can't get the Safari page to load the Mac version on the Download section.

Scirwode

I get the following error when I go to google and try to type something in the text field. This happens in most other websites as well. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

When I type the first character in the field, I get the error, when I click OK it allows me to type the second character the error is back again.

"the procedure entry point StrTokEx could not be located in the dynamic link library MSOERT2.dll"

Hmm not sure if I like the tabs in the title bar, it looks quite odd.. At least on windows.

yea i dunno if i'll get used to it...

I'm on OSX here.

I really feel the "top websites" browser thing is USELESS. That's what my bookmarks are for? And I have my top 6 visited sites bookmarked in the book marks bar. All I have to do is hit cmd + 1 through cmd +6 and I'm instantly taken to the site.

Now this browser is sure worth a 'wow' (Y)

Installed it on PC and an old iMac G4 (OS X 10.5.6) - runs very well on both platforms.

IMHO Apple may have just created a better browser than Firefox, clearly superior to Internet Explorer.

Now this browser is sure worth a 'wow' (Y)

Installed it on PC and an old iMac G4 (OS X 10.5.6) - runs very well on both platforms.

IMHO Apple may have just created a better browser than Firefox, clearly superior to Internet Explorer.

Perhaps in stock features and designs, but Firefox has extensions, which continues to make it overall more useful than Safari.

Top Sites is brilliant. I miss my blue progress bar though.

How would you move the window otherwise?

Sebastiaan de With has noted that, in the rush to move tabs above the window, Apple somehow forgot to include Safari's trademark in-address-bar progress bar. Oops.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/...gh-ui-edges.ars

and thanks for the terminal hacks! The two terminal hacks on here made safari 4 UI a lot more like safari 3 :)

Not a fan of tabs on top

Perhaps in stock features and designs, but Firefox has extensions, which continues to make it overall more useful than Safari.

Perhaps. But that's a personal preference. Have to agree that this is the best Safari browser ever released for Windows ;)

Getting used to the tabs on top, but for some reason it loads pages slower than 3 did. The new Top Sites thing is pretty cool though.

I think any browser is superior to IE - even Lynx! :laugh:

I really like it, but how can I add a bookmark to this thing? In the bookmark saving dialog the "place combobox" is empty and if I try to add a bookmark folder, Safari crashes. This happens on both of my computers. I am using Vista Business/Home Premium 32 bit. :(

How do I add to my topsites page in window? (the page that looks like the cover flow).

You can't add to Top Sites, it's based on your browsing habits. You can however pin or remove websites should you see necessary.

Getting used to the tabs on top, but for some reason it loads pages slower than 3 did. The new Top Sites thing is pretty cool though.

I think any browser is superior to IE - even Lynx! :laugh:

Actually, I find IE8 to be very good, at least when compared to older versions of IE. It's clear that Safari 4 has been influenced by Google Chrome, IE8 and Firefox 3.

:yes: But how did Microsoft go so wrong with it's browser? It's a real mystery.

Who knows. :iiam:

Actually, I find IE8 to be very good, at least when compared to older versions of IE. It's clear that Safari 4 has been influenced by Google Chrome, IE8 and Firefox 3.

I haven't had the chance to mess around with IE8 yet. Is it possible to install it alongside IE7? I have various versions of IE installed in a VM to test sites I build, and testing in IE8 would be useful.

About the "nativ" look of firefox ! Maybe it is nativ, uses the windows blue sheme wich is boring and ugly in my op. and makes firefox ugly too.

Face it !

- This thing is attractive, eyecandy. The first thing I said was wow ! The second was - oh bro, why the hell is that new tab button so close to the minimize button ?

- It is fast, but has it's own flows. Like the tab thing I mentioned and it hangs sometimes. Plus the most thing I hated in safari 3 ! - I cannot open dowloaded files with double click in the dowloads pane - this is stupiiiid!

About firefox again - sure, there are many extensions for it. But I don't need them for browsing, I don't want to customize my browser after installing it, I want something, wich is good looking, fast and simple. And at the moment, it is Safari 4.