Apple Safari 4 Beta

Ok I have seen numerous people asking how to get Safari4 to load a link in a new tab instead of a new window, but no responses..

Does anyone know how?

Preferences > General > Open link from applications or middle click a link.

Tried it but doesnt work :(

Using lots of memory doesn't necessarily mean there are memory leaks.

Does that also apply to vista ? :whistle:

I'm not sure if I will keep using it.....I installed ad block for Safari but it leaves the area where the ad is (but doesn't display the ad) while in FF3 the content of the page is moved where the ad was and the page looks better

I think they need to give tabs a more height they are a tad too slim imo they are about 3 pixels slimmer then chromes. This has quite a few bugs too hopefully next update(s) fix them i've filed a few myself already.

Ok I have seen numerous people asking how to get Safari4 to load a link in a new tab instead of a new window, but no responses..

Does anyone know how?

Tried it but doesnt work :(

I posted this back on page 3, little hard to come by now. But this works.

Launch terminal and paste this

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Under OSX of course. Not sure what you'd need to do for windows.

Oddly enough, Safari 4 feels quite a bit quicker than Chrome. Or it delays the page until it all loads at once. Two great Webkit browsers on Windows now.

I think it is constantly loading Top Sites in the background? If true, it is somewhat of cheating on "fastest" part. :p For those with bandwidth cap, might want to avoid it. ;)

Preferences > General > Open link from applications or middle click a link.

Does not work.. Still have to hold CTRL down to get it to work

I think it is constantly loading Top Sites in the background? If true, it is somewhat of cheating on "fastest" part. :p For those with bandwidth cap, might want to avoid it. ;)

Bandwidth caps are rarely reached because of html and images. They are reached because of videos and downloads

It looks to be using the RSS feeds to determine when to update those pages, quickly playing around and watching in Instruments doesn't show a whole pile of unexpected network activity.

Bandwidth caps are rarely reached because of html and images. They are reached because of videos and downloads
It looks to be using the RSS feeds to determine when to update those pages, quickly playing around and watching in Instruments doesn't show a whole pile of unexpected network activity.

That wasn't supposed to be serious post guys :p I know the smiley ( ;) ) didn't help either.

That wasn't supposed to be serious post guys :p I know the smiley ( ;) ) didn't help either.

I was just pointing out in case some less technical members didn't understand bandwidth caps

Is that normal that i can't middle click on a bookmark in a subfolder on the bookmark toolbar but if the bookmark is not in a folder it work..

anyone noticed that?

That's the sign of an really **** browser.

And is definitely not a common occurrence, especially with Safari 4. Mine is currently using up 80MB with 4 tabs open.

is it that hard to make middle click close a tab if you click anywhere on that tab? My plugin that does that doens't work in safari 4 :(

I also find it annoying since it's nothing much to add in the code i presume. This and the middle click in subfolder of the bookmarks bar are my two annoyances from safari 4... Other than that this browser kick some a**! :)

Question:

how do I make it so it will ask me what to do with files that I am about to download? I dont want them to go straight to the downloads folder. I want to be asked to just open it or download it in specific folder. (i know i can change the folder) but I want to be able to choose specific location for specific files...

This has to be possible... Please..

Thanks

Question:

how do I make it so it will ask me what to do with files that I am about to download? I dont want them to go straight to the downloads folder. I want to be asked to just open it or download it in specific folder. (i know i can change the folder) but I want to be able to choose specific location for specific files...

This has to be possible... Please..

Thanks

If you go into Preferences > General tab you'll see "Save downloaded content to:" under this option you have a check box "Always Prompt for the action before downloading" it will ask you where to save the file when you press save. ;)