How mayn ppl use Linux (or any other unix)

NWCT

Redhat 7.2 has always been stable for me

Tried Mandrake didnt like it from 7.X and up.

NWCT

willywonka69

i tried mandrake8.0--------------to slow for me

Silvorgold

was thinkin about getting 8.1 complete, but thought nah since 9.0 will be out sooner or later

patrick

My server runs Debian and that's how it's gonna stay :D

It's been on there for about 3 to 4 years now without major problems and not a single format since then and no "8.1" upgrade or anything. Just updates the packages almost automatically.

Having said that Windows XP is on my workstation running an X server so I can run all my Linux programs on my server and have them displayed on my Windows machine.

3nd3r

I killed Mandrake, Now i am running: Microsoft Windows XP Pro, RedHat Linux 7.2 and trying to install Slackware 8

Keldyn

Im presently using Redhat 7.2, which is by far the best distro. Heh, so happens it is the only release, my DSL modem will function with too. SuSE is also great, and Mandrake isnt half bad either. I use to run Storm Linux for a while until they opted out of the business :( It was, back then probably the only decent Debian distro that was also visually pleasing.

I love Linux for its versatility, speed and endless customisation. An OS for those who are truely 1337 :D

~Keldyn

Vlad

Mandrake 8.1 to play

Debian to learn/work

PM5K

Hey, this is a Windows site, take yer stinky penguins elsewhere !

Ha ha, just kidding.

I've never had a distro that I could get all of my hardware working at the same time with.

If I could I might just have Linux on here somewhere, but I couldn't so I don't.

phenomorph

redHat 7.1 (with VMware for win2K)

use it for work (graphics and number crunching) and networking, server (SSH, FTP, HTTP, etc...), it's great.

• 3 weeks later...
JohnKraker

I'm one of debians bi*ches. I love the apt commands. apt-get, apt-cache. i've used Mandrake 8.0. i had problems with my sound and stuff so i got a friend of mine to install debian. he showed me some things that were specific to debian. and I LOVED them. also i have two pretty crappie video cards.. i have an ATI Rage II PCI 4meg. and a Nvidia TNT2 Vanta AGP 8 meg. in Windows XP i'd never be able to use dual monitors like i do now.. i have a 15 inch monitor on the ATI card and a 20 inch trinitron on the Nvidia. I learned that I could use them both in Mandrake and when I switched over to Debian gettin them to work was easy. I know I'm rambling on and on so i wont stop now. I use Gnome because like some other people say KDE is slower on this machine and looks to much like Windows. i used to use Blackbox with Red Hat long ago. i liked then cause i had a 75mhz with 32 megs of ram and couldn't run Gnome or KDE on it :-).... big gulps huh? welp see ya later.

• 4 months later...
sailgreg

I have been using mandrake 8.2 for a few days now :)

Glowstick

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT, mostly console mode, Blackbox when in X11

Timan

OSX :) and Redhat 7.3

cerbero

I use Slackware on my home router/server. I love Linux, but I don't think it's ready for desktop use yet. Also I need Photoshop and a bunch of other apps.

That's why I'm getting a Mac in a couple of months. Gets me a pretty and advanced GUI, on an OS that runs Photoshop, Dreamweaver and my other favorites, plus it gets me the feeling of control that comes with a *nix system :D

McKrout

i love linux... when it works on my system. i've tried mandrake, red hat, freebsd and slackware. i liked slackware the most but 8.0 didnt like my vid card so now im trying 8.1, but its telling me that my source is messed up so i have to download again. once i have it up and running, i will a very happy person.

TS

Chicane-UK

Nice to see so many Linux users.. I dont actually run it on my home PC, but I setup & run many servers at my place of work, which are all powered by Linux (Red Hat being my preferred choice, but always without any fluff like XWindows - just the console and specific server daemons).

I also own a Sun Blade 100 which runs Solaris 8 - not as nice as Linux, but very powerful :)

I used to own to Silicon Graphics boxes which ran SGI IRIX 6.5 - a great OS, but the machines were not quick enough to take advantage of that...

So definately a UNIX / Linux fan here :)

Keldyn

Sailgreg: Stop dredging up old threads dammit!:s

radioboy

I used Mandrake 8.0/8.1 w/ KDE2 on a spare 233MHz box (that's now been laid to rest in the parts bucket) as well as dual booting on and off (read: until I got sick of it) on my main PC.

Now I decided to put Slackware 8.1 with WindowMaker on my laptop (120mhz) and it's great.

Glowstick

Gonna switch my puters at work to NetBSD tomorrow.

Joseph Zollo

Mandrake 8.2