How mayn ppl use Linux (or any other unix)

Installed and experimented with the following:

Mandrake 8 and up, Red Hat 7 and up, Slack 8 (8.1. soon), Lycoris, and even Debian (apt-get is pretty damn cool).

Mostly I will download them and see whats new. Now though I have been delving into setting up Linux servers (where it really shines). I want to setup a ftp and samba server at my house.

KDE3 looks great, I just wish I dodn't have to manually setup TTF everytime though. Oh well, not Linux's fault.

Linux Flavors tested: RedHat 6.0 & 7.1, Mandrake 7.0-8.2, SuSE 7.2-8.0, Redmond Linux Amethyst

KDE 2, KDE 2.2, KDE 3.0 (3.0 ROCKS!!!!!)

Alternative OS's: DR DOS 2.12 (On my 286 Heh), BeOS 5.5 Pro (BeOS was cool [cries])

I've used Mandrake 8.2 (BlueBird) for a month... It's great !!!

LSDN.

============================

My Box:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird @ 1.2GHz

IWILL KK266 Mobo

256MB RAM PQI

32MB GeForce2 MX

30GB Seagate Barracuda ATA III

TEAC 40X

TEAC 8x8x32

Audigy Sound

Altec Lansing Speakers

CTX Monitor

Running: Windows XP PRO

I have been running Linux for over 5 years and have brought several linux machines into my work place for many different applications.

I have upgraded most of the boxes to RedHat 7.3 to make it easier for others to admin and update. I don't want to go back to being a network admin anymore.... ;)

I have found several applications that our network support group and security people can't live without now. Here's some of the best ones:

1) MRTG & RRDTool - Together these graph just about everything imaginable on our Cisco LAN switches, including bandwidth utilization, processor usage, memory usage, and temperatures. Also using some perl scripts I can extract the ports that use the most bandwidth from any of 1000 core switch ports.

2) Apache - Ever since Code Red we have used this web server internally for my Linux applications.

3) ntop - IMHO the best network (layer 3 mostly) analyzer for the price (FREE). This program is not only easy to install & configure but it has answered some questions that our WAN provider said was not something they could provide. Our management asked me if I could do provide info on who was using our gateway's bandwidth and by what applications. 1 hour later I found ntop and fell in love with it immediately.

4) Snort - A great NIDS (Network Intrusion Detection System). Snort is also capable of doing much more than just IDS but we mostly just use it with Acid for local internal IDS.

5) Nessus - For penetration testing this is one of the best. Free and very easy to install. One of those security programs that could be considered a white hat/black hat tool.

I have installed about 8 of these boxes around work and a couple to test on at home (they don't like penetration testing at work it sets off too many IDSs). I couldn't get by without these tools and have accomplished alot with old hardware and free software. Linux rocks!

Well if you count OS X then yeah, I do. Apple has done a fantastic job of bringing Unix to the simpletons. Installing an app? Just drag it to the applications folder. Uninstalling? drag it to the trash. Nice and simple...

mandrake 8.2...not liking it

i've tried redhat before too...didn't like it

i'm just a windows/mac os kinda guy:D

I've got SuSE 8.0 Pro, and dual booted with XP for a while, but I never used Linux much

I use it at uni where we have Redhat 7.2 and i really like it. I think my problem is that I dont understand it enough to set it up properly and so cant get as much out of it