Earth's Creation

Earth's Creation/God  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe 'God' created Earth in 7 days? (6 days, 1 days rest)

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

The Dragon In My Garage

by Carl Sagan

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle -- but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick." And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm

nobody will know how the world was created big bang or religion

No, we know how the earth was created. The universe, however, is a different matter - mainly because it has less physical evidence, and it has logical limitations (if the universe began time, it's difficult to apply "cause"). Religion, however, certainly didn't start the universe - humans created that.

humans created religions in order to make accepting death easier. People like to think that there is an afterlife, like to believe that there is a god. The reason people like that is because they are weak or have a lower education (or both). The truth is that there is no god. We should just treat religion as a sickness. We have to make it go away.

Religions control people and are a big source of power. Religions are responsible for millions of deaths and they promote fanatism. I long for the day where there are no religions.

and to answer the original question, we do not know how the earth was created, but we do know that it was certainly not god...

We do know how the earth was created and how worlds are created but we do not know how the universe and everything in it was created. BTW I'm agnostic atheist.

There is a mathematical possibility of a higher power than us in this universe. However is it the Christian God who made the earth in six days? The same god who judges us by how we live our lives? No.

humans created religions in order to make accepting death easier. People like to think that there is an afterlife, like to believe that there is a god.

Yes, I agree. This is why I think all cultures use to have their religions too, regardless if it's a fairly isolated culture, or a larger international one. I think it's a psychological construct that is important for many people in order for them to move on with their lives. That function, and used as a construct to control societies, a sort of "moral law".

The largest issue with arguments between god and no god is simply either side does not have enough proof to either prove or disprove it therefor the argument will continue forever.