All-Glass Firefox v2!

Good extension -- but some 'request' --

1) get a desktop background changer that changes your desktop background between dark and light (and other colors) backgrounds -- that way as you work on your extension, you can be exposed to a wide variety (at least if you get a good image selection! Don't know your tastes, but I have a bunch of anime backgrounds if you need a start!) of backgrounds to see/make sure that your text stays readable against any background color.

I don't know if it is possible -- but if you are reading the background image to display on the browser front, can you do some estimation of of darkness/lightness so that you can adjust the font colors? If you are limited to javascript, you might be able to determine the average screen

brightness under quadrants of the browser (or just halves) to allow for images that have bright in upper half and dark in lower half -- or if you add quadrants, you could also get right and left. Any more sections than quadrants would likely get too complex -- and even that might be too much - don't known. Anyway -- just an idea.

---

Also -- have you thought about adding coverage for other windows (like extensions/options?) -- I don't see them with areas glassed except for frame...

thanks for the cool work -- and especially thanks for sharing it!

• 3 weeks later...

A little update

The last few months I've been using Chrome (or Chromium) and since Firefox didn't change too much, changes to my addon haven't been necessary either. With Firefox 4 on the way, this addon will have to change a lot, and eventually I'll return to Firefox (probably when we start hitting the 4.0 RC's) and I'll make sure this addon makes your Firefox look exactly as it does now with my addon.

The new Firefox 4 theme might be fancy and all that jazz, but it's not clean enough in my opinion.

Also, there are some great ideas in this thread, but most of them are way too hard for me to code. I know nothing of Javascript and I'm a CSS-noob too, so I won't be making any changes for now. I want to keep my All-Glass Firefox a set-and-forget addon, without any options or anything. It just has to work.

Hope this is an answer to most questions.

Aside that, I'm always up for a chat, and as long as you don't look too freaky I'm always up for a chat on Facebook :p ( fb.me/ambroos )

Greetz!

- Ambroos

You might be better off creating a theme. You could just change the CSS around and that would require no javascript because Firefox 4 supports glass out of the box.

You might be better off creating a theme. You could just change the CSS around and that would require no javascript because Firefox 4 supports glass out of the box.

Which is probably what I'll do. This addon now is only a theme + a javascript and DLL for Aero anyway.

Hi, sorry I didn't read the 36 pages, I installed it yesterday and I really like it.

But can you tell me why the background of the personnal bar and tabs is black, please ?

7d1b3f83159d8d54e44cfe823afa7.png

I tried to change values in the overlay but it doesn't work either.

(Windows 7 32bits + Firefox 3.6.8)

Hi, sorry I didn't read the 36 pages, I installed it yesterday and I really like it.

But can you tell me why the background of the personnal bar and tabs is black, please ?

7d1b3f83159d8d54e44cfe823afa7.png

I tried to change values in the overlay but it doesn't work either.

(Windows 7 32bits + Firefox 3.6.8)

It's probably an issue with an incompatible addon. Try disabling all addons (except for All-Glass), and re-enabling them one by one to see which one is the problem.

It's probably an issue with an incompatible addon. Try disabling all addons (except for All-Glass), and re-enabling them one by one to see which one is the problem.

Gmail Notifier is not compatible :( :no: :(

Thank you, it works.

• 1 month later...

I love the looks of your theme :), but there are several compatibility issues with some of my most essential add-ons.

33c3h1y.jpg

• #1 tabs turn black (no Aero effect) when placed at bottom of the browser by 'TabMix plus' extension
  • #2 white overlay is left in the place of tabs at the top of the browser obscuring any text on the top edge

qmxh8x.jpg

• #3 even with the tabs up top the upper edge of 'All-in-One-Sidebar' extension is still affected by white overlay
  • #4 the text and icon styling of other extensions are overridden

- the 'BarTab' extension has unloaded these tabs, their icons & text should be semi-transparent. the tabs' text should also have the unread color specified by 'TabMix Plus'

I love having Firefox all Aero'd out!!!

Can you give the vertical scroll bar and the 'All-in-One-Sidebar' the Aero glass effect?

If not the entire sidebar then at least the narrow switch that shows/hides the sidebar?

• 2 months later...

Today is my unlucky day.

I've been using this add-on for almost a year, and it was working perfectly till today. Today, as usual I woke up and turned on my PC and run Firefox (v3.6.12), out of a sudden, some parts of my FF has gone black. I read all the 36 pages, done everything (disable/enable all add-ons, change windows themes etc.) and couldn't find how to fix this problem.

I really like this add on, it makes FF look more natural then the original theme. Please help me to fix this.

glass1f.jpg

glass2v.jpg

P.S. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Build 7600.

I've spent my all day and figured it out! It was all about "BitDefender Antiphishing Toolbar 2.0". It can't be uninstalled, because of that I've passed it and focused on the other add-ons. Finally just disabled it and re-run FF, now it's back to normal.

For the record:

glass3v.jpg

• 2 months later...

This plugin has disappeared from mozilla page :( It was there yesterday :(

I was able to find a 2.1.2 version somewhere.

Can someone please post the .xpi file for 2.1.4 on a file hosting site?

Aside from no flash support yet, I find the x64 version faster and just as stable :)

Install 64 bit flash player/java and they'll work in 64 bit minefield. I'll have a look around and post a link if I can find one for Windows.

yah know this is cool there is also a way to take it a step further and have transparent glass web pages as well. 100% glass.

first you need stylish

then go to this page http://userstyles.org/styles/19104

http://userstyles.org/styles/26018

follow the instructions

enjoy!

Here we go.. the 2.1.4 XPI

My link

Why kicked Mozilla this beautiful extension?!

Mozilla requires all add-ons to be reviewed. All-Glass and other add-ons that use the glasser dll require the source code, however the site which hosted the source code is gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well, now with Firefox 4, this addon is obsolete anyway! It was fun being one of the first with full glass though!

Oh well, now with Firefox 4, this addon is obsolete anyway! It was fun being one of the first with full glass though!

Your extension was a great one and I enjoyed using it.

But no, unfortunately it isn't obsolete. It's right, FF4 has glass-style, but not complete. There is no glass-style for tabs and bookmarks. So I'm searching distressed for a possibility.