• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

sundayx    127

It's good to see Alonso back at it, he's been struggling considering he was a former back-to-back champion.

Martyn    5
That being said, despite being a Brit, I'd absolutely love it if Rubens won this year - the lil guy is loved by everyone, so if Hamilton or Kubica can't win it, I'm all for the lil Brazilian taking home the big title :)

Rubens is a true gent and I would love it if he finally wins the title this year. It is crazy to think that he has been around in the sport since the days of Senna.

It's good to see Alonso back at it, he's been struggling considering he was a former back-to-back champion.

Alonso did very well last season I thought, he won a few races in a very poor Renault car.

Brodel    14
F1 wins will decide world title

Formula 1 has introduced a new points system that will see the driver with most wins crowned world champion.

The current points system will still operate to decide a tie if two drivers have the same wins and to define all other championship positions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7948455.stm

Mike    89

It's a stupid idea in short. Drivers were always going for the win anyway so it won't make them try harder. Hardly any races were close or saw 1st / 2nd within a reachable gap of each other. If the 2nd placed driver was faster he would close up on the 1st placed driver and try and overtake.

The budget cap idea isn't the greatest either. If I read it correctly, it's pretty much freedom to mess with the engine, so, if Mercedes improve their engine to give a huge advantage, whose budget does it go in? Mercedes? (i.e no F1 team) McLaren? Brawn? Force India?

+Frank B.    7,149

Testing times today:

Pos  Driver		Team					  Time	  Laps
 1.  Button		Brawn-Mercedes	   (B)  1:17.844  114
 2.  Rosberg	   Williams-Toyota	  (B)  1:18.071   66
 3.  Piquet		Renault			  (B)  1:18.382  128
 4.  Hamilton	  McLaren-Mercedes	 (B)  1:19.121  118

sundayx    127

The curious case of Jenson Button.

Dark_ph0enix    13

I'm not liking either this, or the budget restriction - this is F1, it's supposed to be the best drivers in the world, in the most cutting edge technology possible.

In terms of the points system, they shoulda opted for what the F1 Teams Association were proposing:

12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1

MightyJordan    7,166

It's a real shame Bernie has gone against the fans' wishes and pretty much ruined the season. :(

On a side note, I'm hoping that Brawn-Mercedes will dominate the standings this season, and that Jenson Button finally gets a long-awaited championship! :)

Mike    89

3 driver opinions (Source)

Nico Rosberg: “What nonsense is this?”

Jenson Button: “I understand the logic behind it and it’s interesting. It’s an incentive to try to win but it also looks risky to me. After 9 races you could get a driver who’s already won the title and can take the rest of the season off, while the driver in second is only 18 points behind!”

Lewis Hamilton: “I have no opinion on this.”

To me that's Rosberg saying what most drivers think, Button using his 'it's interesting' get-out as well as Hamilton doing his usual of trying not to say anything :p

If i was Hamilton, I'd be relatively happy with the new ruling, if McLaren can sort their car out within 2 or 3 races, Hamilton could be only 1 or 2 wins behind as opposed to being ~20 points behind. 1 or 2 race wins only requires 1 or 2 races to get back, but ~20 points can take 6 or 7 races to claw back.

LewisBraid    0
Well, looks like Jean Todt is gone from Ferrari

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9028.html

Least theres some good news then! aha, the camera wont pan onto his troll like face anymore! Good times!

CrashGordon    438
Well, looks like Jean Todt is gone from Ferrari

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9028.html

Wonder if he's just leaving or going to go to another team (Brawn GP possibly?).

This new rule to determine the championship is a real load of crap. Just look at last years season, it came down to the last race on the last lap and damn near the last corner to decide who the WDC was.

Dark_ph0enix    13
Least theres some good news then! aha, the camera wont pan onto his troll like face anymore! Good times!

Of course that also means you won't be seeing any shots of Michelle Yeoh anymore.

Mike    89

Seems the winner takes all ruling may not be happening:

"Following the decision of the World Motorsport Council of the 17 March 2009 to change the way the drivers’ championship is awarded, the Teams gathered and unanimously agreed to question the validity of this decision," said a FOTA statement.

"The amendment to the sporting regulations proposed by the World Motorsport Council was not performed in accordance with the procedure provided for by Appendix 5 of the Sporting Regulations and, as per the provisions of the article 199 of the FIA International Sporting Code, it is too late for FIA to impose a change for the 2009 season that has not obtained the unanimous agreement of all the competitors properly entered into the 2009 Formula 1 Championship."

The regulation in question says that changes to the sporting regulations have to be "published at least 20 days prior to the opening date for entry applications for the championship concerned" unless "the unanimous agreement of all competitors properly entered for the championship or series concerned is obtained."

Source

Dark_ph0enix    13

I was just coming over here to post that - you beat me to it :)

CrashGordon    438

Thats great news! :jump: Although I'm guessing that they will try to do it for next season. :/

.mcman    1

woo, there is hope!

LewisBraid    0

Really hope it isnt happening then, could be great! Though reading through the article via bbc sports page a modification to the actual amount of points could make it interesting.

Mike    89

and the FIA respond:

"On 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA’s proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One drivers’ championship," said an FIA statement.

"The ‘winner takes all’ proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."

Source

So, it looks like it's happening but not this year, unless the teams back-track and agree to use it (which I hope/think they won't). Even though they say it is deferred until 2010, I don't think it'll be set in stone, after all, there is plenty of time to change it.

Neil    3

Thankfully they have changed the points back, i would preferred a 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 system though...

+Frank B.    7,149

Just when everybody thought we'd finally get a season without a ton of protests:

Diffuser row grows ahead of Melbourne

The growing row over diffuser designs in Formula 1 appears to be heading for a showdown protest at the Australian Grand Prix, with the FIA saying it is now too late to resolve the matter before the start of the season.

The designs of the diffusers on the Brawn, Toyota and Williams have led to questions from rival teams, who think the trio are unfairly using a bigger diffuser than was originally intended by the regulations.

So far the FIA has said that it believes the designs are within the wording the regulations, but the matter has moved up a gear with at least one team believed to have written to the governing body to state its belief that the design is illegal.

Now, FIA president Max Mosley has said that he thinks the matter can only be sorted out in Australia - because it is too late to organise a formal hearing before the first race.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph on Saturday, Mosley said: "It's a very clever device and you can make a very good case for saying that it's legal and a very good case for saying that it's illegal. It's going to be difficult.

"What's actually happened is that teams are saying 'We think it's illegal for this and this reason.'

"If there had been more time before the detailed objections to the system were sent in, I would probably have sent it to the FIA Court of Appeal before Australia. And actually I have given thought to that this week. But there isn't time. It wouldn't be fair. I think the thing will probably come to some sort of a head in Australia."

The most likely outcome from the current situation is that one or more teams may choose to lodge a protest at the first race of the season - either once scrutineering has taken place on Thursday or after the finish of the race.

Mosley added: "One possibility is that all the teams agree that it is illegal, and therefore all the teams shouldn't have it from Barcelona. But then those teams who say it is legal will say 'Why should we do that?' And those that say it's illegal will say 'Why should we lose an advantage for four races?'

"And so probably what will happen is it will end up going to the stewards, who will make a decision. That will almost certainly be appealed by whichever side is disadvantaged. And then that will go to our Court of Appeal and be hammered out.

"It's not straightforward. I have an open mind on it at the moment - I can see it going either way. I really can. But somebody has to make their mind up and fortunately it's not my job."

Source: Autosport

MightyJordan    7,166

Bah, just sounds like jealousy to me. The minnows are catching up to the big fish, and the big fish are coming up with excuses now.