F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

What a race! One of the best I've ever seen (BTW, I haven't been watching full races for a while :p )!

Guess you didn't see the end of Spa last year :p

It was a good race, and looks like things are going to be interesting this year.

I'm glad to see a strong win for Barichello (Button, too), hope it continues for him this year :)

Trulli penalised, Hamilton gets third

Lewis Hamilton has been promoted to third place at the Australian GP after Jarno Trulli was penalised.

Trulli's third place was put under investigation after the Italian regained his position overtaking Hamilton during a safety car period, having run off the track when the SC was on track.

Both drivers were summoned to see the race stewards following the incident and it was decided to give Trulli a 25-second penalty which moves him outside of the points finish.

Toyota confirmed its intention to appeal the decision.

More to follow.

Source: Autosport

Wow, there's a shock there! I never saw or heard about Trulli doing that. Hamilton's luck keeps getting better.

Aah so Trulli did get the penalty. They did say it was more than likely...Shame, but thats the rules.

Source: Autosport

Bah, that sucks...sorry, I'm not a big fan of Hamilton lol. I must have missed this, I don't remember seeing that happen, but I did walk away from the TV for a few toward the end of the race.

Vettel penalised and fined for Kubica collision

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel has been handed a 10-place grid penalty for next weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix following an incident in Sunday’s Australian race. Vettel collided with BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica during the latter stages in Melbourne as the Polish driver attempted to overtake him.

Following a post-race investigation, stewards decided to penalise the young German for 'causing a collision and forcing a driver off the track’. He had been racing in second, behind eventual race victor Jenson Button, with Kubica running a close third.

Both Vettel's and Kubica's cars sustained substantial front-end damage in the collision. But while the BMW Sauber driver spun off and hit a wall soon after, Vettel continued to drive his stricken RB5 with its left front wheel hanging off as the safety car emerged following the incident.

As a result the stewards have additionally fined him - and Red Bull Racing - US$50,000 for continuing to drive a damaged car.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9098.html

wth. why vettle?

it was kubica who took the 'inside' which at that moment had room for only one car.

damn! stewards!

I don't agree with penalising Vettel for that incident, I hope they appeal. I do think the fine is just though. Would have been really funny if he made it to the end and didn't get stripped of his position.

...wth. why vettle?

it was kubica who took the 'inside' which at that moment had room for only one car.

damn! stewards!

I thought he took the wrong line on entering the corner? making it harder for him to break on the apex..?

Kubica was on the racing line and in front, that means he has right of way. And it was Vettel trying to get up on the inside after being passed.

As for Hamilton-Trulli: Trulli went off during a safety car which means you can drive by him - however upon him returning to the track he is not allowed to retake the place during the safety car. If someone passes someone during a saftey car by mistake (usually if they go off on a corner and pass) they are meant to let the person who they went by back past. Trulli had no right to retake his place.

Vettel: Clash a stupid racing accident

Sebastian Vettel has labelled the incident that eliminated himself and Robert Kubica from the Australian Grand Prix as a "stupid racing accident".

Both drivers crashed out after making contact while fighting for second position three laps from the end of the race in Melbourne.

Vettel had been struggling to slow his Red Bull down as his soft tyres performance had dropped away, and the German explained that while he was apologetic, he simply couldn't stop his car from hitting Kubica's BMW.

"We were in second and a strong position, but then, a couple of laps from the end, I had a stupid racing accident with Robert (Kubica)," said Vettel. "At the time I turned in I was ahead, but I couldn't keep up speed in the corner and Robert was on a harder tyre, so was much quicker.

"At the time we collided he was in front, but I had no where to go, I couldn't stop the car, or turn to the right and my tyres were gone.

"It's a shame as it meant the end of the race for both of us. Should I have let him go? You always want to fight. Maybe I should have said let him go and bring third back home, but that's life. I tried to defend and, up to the mid-corner, I had reason, but then I had no grip to avoid a collision.

"I'm sorry to the team and also to Robert, as it didn't just mean the end of my race, but also his."

Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber also had his race ruined by an incident, but the Australian was quite clearly not at fault for a first corner accident with Rubens Barrichello.

"I was so disappointed to drive round with a damaged car," said Webber, who finished 13th and last of the runners. "I wanted a good result for the fans today, but we'll do our best to recover from the next race on - it would have been nice to have got a good result here.

"My start wasn't too bad. I got to Turn 1 and was making sure I got through there clean, but then Rubens (Barrichello) came in to the side of me pretty hard and that was it really.

"I lost a huge amount of downforce; we had a lot of damage and I wasn't going to be a threat to anyone after that. It was a tough day for the team but we'll be back, I'm happy that Malaysia is in only a week's time."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74055

BMW certain Vettel crash cost Kubica win

Anyone have any idea why BMW think they had a chance of winning??? Okay they were catching fast but even at the rate they were catching they would have not caught Button.

Anyone have any idea why BMW think they had a chance of winning??? Okay they were catching fast but even at the rate they were catching they would have not caught Button.

Probably just trying to make their point stronger... I'm sure a few more laps and they would have caught Button, his tyre situation wouldnt have lasted.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/03/29/hami...ve-been-fairer/

Hammilton has been awarded 3rd place. I don't agree with the 25 second penalty, as with the above source, I agree if anything he should of just been dropped to 4th.

Its Karma, Hamilton had a few iirc penalties given to him after the race finished last season! But its still a major feat to go from 18th to 3rd or 4th, however you see it.

Its Karma, Hamilton had a few iirc penalties given to him after the race finished last season! But its still a major feat to go from 18th to 3rd or 4th, however you see it.

Yup thats true...I don't care for him, but he did do pretty well today. :) Can't wait for Malaysia!

Really enjoyed the race today, glad F1 is back! :D I guess overall Hamilton has got to be ecstatic with how things turned out in the end. Starting from the back of the grid and eventually placing in 3rd.

Good race, and interesting result. Without the safety car periods and Barichello buggering up the start Brawn GP would have lapped most of the field.

Noob of the week isn't Kubica. it's Vettel who already admitted he should have let Kubica past and be happy with 3rd place.

Failure of the week: Ferrari. Double DNF? WTF.

Ferrari where one of the most unreliable teams in winter testing, so don't be surprised by that. I kinda thought they would have got their act together by now, but their relaibility seems to be getting worse every year.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/03/29/hami...ve-been-fairer/

Hammilton has been awarded 3rd place. I don't agree with the 25 second penalty, as with the above source, I agree if anything he should of just been dropped to 4th.

The penalty may seem harsh, but it is mandated as such in the rules, because there wasn't enough time to give a drive through in the race, the rules state that the driver has to be retrospectively given the average approximation of what a drive through costs them, which is 25 seconds. I didn't see the incident itself so I can't say much for the penalty.

As for Vettle and Kubica... That can only be described as a moment of extreme brain fade, although I think the penalty is unduly harsh considering it was a racing incident, however the penalty for Red Bull was deserved, telling him to carry on with such a badly damaged car was just stupidity in the extreme.

As for the result... I kinda saw it coming, but nonetheless it is great for Formula 1 to see the order shaken up as it has been, and the racing seemed a lot better as well.