F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

brawn gp looks the fastest, but ferrari is not that much back, they ran with a big ammount of fuel in fp2 and felipe massa was on his way to take p3 before he had a little incident.

the pace of mclaren and renault is worrying tho. i expect both teams to be lapped if we see a normal race.

Pos  Driver	   Team					   Time			  Laps
 1.   Rosberg	  Williams-Toyota	   (B)  1:26.053			36
 2.   Barrichello  Brawn-Mercedes		(B)  1:26.157  + 0.104   38
 3.   Trulli	   Toyota				(B)  1:26.350  + 0.297   42
 4.   Webber	   Red Bull-Renault	  (B)  1:26.370  + 0.317   30
 5.   Button	   Brawn-Mercedes		(B)  1:26.374  + 0.321   38
 6.   Glock		Toyota				(B)  1:26.443  + 0.390   42
 7.   Nakajima	 Williams-Toyota	   (B)  1:26.560  + 0.507   33
 8.   Vettel	   Red Bull-Renault	  (B)  1:26.740  + 0.687   19
 9.   Sutil		Force India-Mercedes  (B)  1:27.040  + 0.987   29
10.  Massa		Ferrari			   (B)  1:27.064  + 1.011   35
11.  Raikkonen	Ferrari			   (B)  1:27.204  + 1.151   32
12.  Alonso	   Renault			   (B)  1:27.232  + 1.179   28
13.  Fisichella   Force India-Mercedes  (B)  1:27.282  + 1.229   32
14.  Heidfeld	 BMW-Sauber			(B)  1:27.317  + 1.264   34
15.  Kubica	   BMW-Sauber			(B)  1:27.398  + 1.345   36
16.  Bourdais	 Toro Rosso-Ferrari	(B)  1:27.479  + 1.426   36
17.  Kovalainen   McLaren-Mercedes	  (B)  1:27.802  + 1.749   35
18.  Hamilton	 McLaren-Mercedes	  (B)  1:27.813  + 1.760   31
19.  Piquet	   Renault			   (B)  1:27.828  + 1.775   35
20.  Buemi		Toro Rosso-Ferrari	(B)  1:28.076  + 2.023   33

All I can say is 'wow'. This is not quite what I had expected. Ferrari only in 10th and 11th place? A Williams on first place? Bit of a surprise.

I can't wait for tomorrow now.

All I gotta say is wow! Definately didn't expect that. Having said that though, what's the betting that the appeal decision will go against the diffusers and render the result of this race null and void leaving Ferrari and McLaren to lead the pack again! :laugh:

Go Brawn! Definately wanna see more Button on the podiums this year!

brawn gp looks the fastest, but ferrari is not that much back, they ran with a big ammount of fuel in fp2 and felipe massa was on his way to take p3 before he had a little incident.

the pace of mclaren and renault is worrying tho. i expect both teams to be lapped if we see a normal race.

Although I feel Ferrari are quicker than they showed, I feel they will still be running for the last podium position at best. Their car didn't appear to be handling very well from Onboard shots (particularly in Massa's case). They have already intimated that they would have to completely redesign the rear of their car if they are forced to adopt the new diffuser design, so I personally feel they will be behind Brawn, and possibly even Williams as well. The teams that have adopted the protestable diffusers certainly appear to have an advantage

Grid

1 Great Britain J Button Brawn

2 Brazil R Barrichello Brawn

3 Germany S Vettel Red Bull

4 Poland R Kubica BMW Sauber

5 Germany N Rosberg Williams

6 Germany T Glock Toyota

7 Brazil F Massa Ferrari

8 Italy J Trulli Toyota

9 Finland K Raikkonen Ferrari

10 Australia M Webber Red Bull

11 Germany N Heidfeld BMW Sauber

12 Spain F Alonso Renault

13 Japan K Nakajima Williams

14 Finland H Kovalainen McLaren

15 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren

16 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso

17 Brazil N Piquet Jr Renault

18 Italy G Fisichella Force India

19 Germany A Sutil Force India

20 France S Bourdais Toro Rosso

:)

Can't wait!

I can't wait when everybody else will develop new diffuser for their cars. Unless Brawns are running light on fuel tomorrow will be extremely boring.

Virgin may take over Brawn GP name

Sir Richard Branson says his Virgin Group could take over the name and corporate identity of the Brawn GP team within weeks, following the announcement of a sponsorship deal at the Australian Grand Prix.

Branson flew to Melbourne after agreeing a preliminary sponsorship tie-up with the Brackley-based outfit, and he has revealed that he is looking at taking on an even greater involvement than he currently has with the squad.

"We've thrown something together in a very quick period of time," said Branson. "We signed it four hours before I got on the plane, and I think all of us would like to see it, in a very short period of time, developing into a more complete relationship - even in the next three or four weeks. But we will see."

Branson said that a decision will be taken soon about how much more involved his Virgin Group will be with the team - and it is possible he could take over the title sponsorship and even name of the team within two or three races.

"If it [more financial input] is going to increase, it would happen over the next three or four weeks - we would not wait until next year if we are to do something with this team on a long term basis," he explained.

When asked if it was possible Virgin could take over the name of the team, Branson said: "It is certainly a possibility. But we will see what happens over the next three or four weeks.

"The team does not want to waste the name of the team on something that is not promoting anything, and everybody knows it has a great engineer so the team doesn't need for it be called after an engineer. That may well change, but we will see what happens."

He added: "I think all of us need time. First of all they have had to save the team; they have had to get the racing going.

"We are hoping that we will have a proper marriage quite soon - but we are a Virgin bride, and they may find that someone comes in and offers them something even better before this bride marries up with them!

"But it is more likely than not that we will get something sorted in the next few weeks."

A name change beyond just making Virgin title sponsors for Brawn GP, which has been classified as a new team, would require the unanimous support of all rival outfits.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73974

============================

Hamilton to start from back of the grid

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton will start from the back of the grid at the Australian Grand Prix following a gearbox change.

The Briton was unable to complete a single lap in Q2 after being hit by a gearbox failure at the end of the first qualifying segment.

Although McLaren could have changed the gears and avoid a penalty, the team has decided to replace the gearbox altogether, meaning Hamilton will get a grid penalty.

"It was a gear failure and although we are allowed to change gears under the regulations, we will change the gearbox," said team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

Under the current rules, gearboxes must last for four grands prix.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73995

Nope - Hamilton will start 3rd from back (18th) due to the 2 Toyota's being pushed to the back.
thanks

---

Toyota duo excluded from qualifying

Timo Glock and Jarno Trulli have been stripped of their grid positions for the Australian Grand Prix for a flexible wing infringement.

Glock had qualified sixth on the grid, with Jarno Trulli two places further behind, for their Toyota team at Albert Park.

However, following post-qualifying technical inspections by the FIA, it was found that the team's rear wing elements were in breach of the rules.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The Stewards have received a report from the Technical Delegate that the upper rear wing elements of cars No. 9 and 10 are showing extreme flexibility in contravention of Article 3.15 of the 2009 Formula One Technical Regulations.

"The Stewards have heard the explanation from a representative of Panasonic Toyota Racing and have examined the cars in question.

"The Stewards concur with the opinion of the Technical Delegate and find the cars contravene the requirements of Article 3.15 of the 2009 Formula One Technical Regulations.

"It is the Stewards decision that cars number 9 and 10 be excluded from the Qualifying Session Official Classification."

Article 3.15 of the technical regulations states that wings must not have 'any degree of freedom' and 'remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.'

The results mean that Trulli and Glock will start the race from the back of the grid.

Toyota said it will not appeal the decision.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74008

--------

Williams protests Ferrari and Red Bull

The Williams team has protested the legality of the Ferrari and Red Bull cars following qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix.

AUTOSPORT understands that Williams's concerns are related to the aerodynamics of the Ferrari F60 and the Red Bull RB5.

Toyota's drivers Timo Glock and Jarno Trulli have already been disqualified from qualifying after their car was deemed to contravene the regulations over the rigidity of ist rear wing. They will start the race from the back of the grid.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74012

Brilliant to see the Brawn guys at the top after the off season they have had and with the prospect of Branson's cash behind them things should definately be looking up!

McLaren and Ferrari have some very tough times ahead!

I still think the new rear wings are ugly but I think this should prove to be a great race and a equally sweet season. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow :D

Shame the new BBC F1 commentator sucks balls. I wonder if part of this interactive service lets you choose the audio.

Also sucks how the race starts really early in the morning, and we get an hour less sleep anyway thanks to daylight savings :(

Shame the new BBC F1 commentator sucks balls. I wonder if part of this interactive service lets you choose the audio.

Also sucks how the race starts really early in the morning, and we get an hour less sleep anyway thanks to daylight savings :(

You should be glad its not any earlier. We have shifted it to a twilight race instead of a day race to be at a better viewing time for you guys. We were going to have a night race to be really nice to you but that fell through.

I liked him more than James Allen.

Wasn't surprised to see McLaren struggle but Ferrari... most unusual to see them so far down. A change in the guard was just what the sport needed though

Just be glad you don't have to watch it at 2:00AM. All the Euro races start between 5:00AM-7:30AM here.

It's good to see some drivers that just needed a good car to have a chance to win. Both Rubens and Jenson can drive, they've just had crap cars for the last few seasons. Going to be an interesting season to say the least.

A few penalties to be handed out:

Hamilton to start 20th after gearbox penalty

Toyotas sent to back of grid for wing infringement

Edited by CrashGordon

yeah, that new commentator guy is really bad..... at least martin brundle is there to protect us from his full suckiness. but anyway the race will be awesome. getting up at 6am (UTC+1) will be fun....

Car weights are out... Brawns with 10 kilos more fuel than the runner ups. Scary.

1. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 664.5kg

2. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 666.5

3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 657

4. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 650

5. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 657

6. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 654

7. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 655.5

8. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 662

9. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 691.5

10. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 680.7

11. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 690.6

12. Nelson Piquet, Renault, 694.1

13. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India 689

14. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 612.5

15. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 675.5

16. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 684.5

17. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso, 662.5

18. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 655

19. Timo Glock, Toyota, 670

20. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 660

While I'm glad we have a new team on the top, I don't want to see a race where the two Brawns are the only cars on the same lap.

Car weights are out... Brawns with 10 kilos more fuel than the runner ups. Scary.

<snipped>

While I'm glad we have a new team on the top, I don't want to see a race where the two Brawns are the only cars on the same lap.

They appear to have about a half a second pace advantage over everyone else, so as long as their reliability holds up they're gonna be hard to beat, but with the new engine regulations it is probably fair to assume that they will probably start backing off once they're in an unbeatable position