F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

If I where the drivers, considering they are directly above a big tub of fuel surrounded by heat sources, and an engine revving at 18,000 RPM I'd think smog isn't something they'd worry about although it may have a minute impact on the efficiency of the car's engines.

Personally I'd be worried about what happens if it rains at night, I have heard that the glare of light distorted by water from the kind of lighting used is a big worry if it rains.

Personally though, despite the Renault furore it is an event that I will look forward to, racing F1 cars under lights is awesome (just a shame they don't broadcast the races in HD in the UK)

Renault handed suspended F1 ban

Renault have been given a two-year suspended ban for their role in fixing last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

The team were called before governing body the FIA to answer charges they had asked driver Nelson Piquet Jr to crash to help team-mate Fernando Alonso win.

Former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned from FIA sanctioned events for an unlimited period.

Renault's ex-engineering director Pat Symonds has also been excluded from F1 for five years.

The plan to deliberately crash was their idea, Piquet told the FIA.

Briatore and Symonds parted company with Renault last week at the same time as the French car giant said they would not contest the charges.

More soon

souricon.gif News source: BBC

All in all a reasonable punishment in my opinion.

RBR are apparently gunning for a Mercedes engine deal anyway so I can't really see this affecting them too badly, as Red Bull's driver lineup was announced as being unchanged some time ago now. As for Alonso, I still see him heading off to Ferrari, where it leaves all their other drivers is anyone's guess.

2009 race calendar:

14/3   Bahrain
28/3   Australia
04/4   Malaysia
18/4   China
09/5   Spain
23/5   Monaco
30/5   Turkey
13/6   Canada*
27/6   Europe (Valencia)
11/7   Great Britain
25/7   Germany
01/8   Hungary
29/8   Belgium
12/9   Italy
26/9   Singapore
03/10  Japan
17/10  Korea
31/10  Abu Dhabi
14/11  Brazil

Source: Autosport

ING ends Renault deal immediately

Renault title sponsor ING has terminated its deal with the French car manufacturer with immediate effect on the back of the team being found guilty of fixing last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Just days after Renault was handed a two-year suspended ban for its involvement in causing a crash in Singapore 12 months ago to help Fernando Alonso win, ING dropped a bombshell in the early hours of Friday morning when it announced it was ending its involvement in the team immediately.

A statement issued by ING confirmed that it had chosen to pull its sponsorship deal because of the events of the last week.

"ING announced today that in light of the verdict of the World Motor Sport Council of 21 September 2009 concerning the events that occurred at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, ING will terminate the contract with Renault Formula 1 with immediate effect," said the statement.

"ING is deeply disappointed at this turn of events, especially in the context of an otherwise successful sponsorship. As announced on 16 February of this year, ING decided not to renew the three year sponsorship (2007-2009) contract with Renault F1 and to end its presence in Formula 1 after the 2009 season."

A spokesperson for the Dutch banking giants confirmed to AUTOSPORT that the decision will result in the ING logos being removed from the cars and other team areas.

However she stated that ING's commitment to trackside advertising would remain until the end of the year.

ING's decision comes hours after Spanish insurance company Mutua Madrilena announced that it was also ending its Renault sponsorship deal as it felt the team's involving in the race fixing scandal amounted to a breach of contract.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78831

ouch. I wonder if the team have to remove ALL ING logos now.. :laugh:

ouch. I wonder if the team have to remove ALL ING logos now.. :laugh:

Was in your own quote :p

A spokesperson for the Dutch banking giants confirmed to AUTOSPORT that the decision will result in the ING logos being removed from the cars and other team areas.

Was in your own quote :p

well obviously that is what they have to say. But is there enough time to get rid of every logo on every t-shirt by friday practice. I just find it funny that mechanics will be busy covering logos instead of working on the cars. :)

Friday Practice 1

Pos No Driver Team Time/Retired Gap Laps

1 23 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 1:50.179 19

2 22 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 1:50.356 0.177 22

3 14 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:50.416 0.237 21

4 7 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:50.567 0.388 16

5 15 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:50.614 0.435 16

6 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:50.699 0.520 21

7 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:50.715 0.536 17

8 5 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1:50.815 0.636 15

9 4 Kimi R?ikk?nen Ferrari 1:50.865 0.686 19

10 17 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1:51.089 0.910 25

11 16 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1:51.427 1.248 23

12 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:51.544 1.365 14

13 12 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 1:51.643 1.464 28

14 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:51.656 1.477 15

15 10 Timo Glock Toyota 1:52.083 1.904 20

16 9 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:52.135 1.956 20

17 3 Giancarlo Fisichella Ferrari 1:52.390 2.211 24

18 21 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:52.905 2.726 23

19 11 Jaime Alguersuari STR-Ferrari 1:53.232 3.053 25

20 8 Romain Grosjean Renault 1:53.458 3.279 9

Grosjean spun out at the same corner as Piquet last year.

fripic10.jpg

*cough*[/url:shiftyninja:a:

Virgin rules out signing Piquet

Formula 1 sponsor Virgin has dismissed any suggestion that it could play a part in helping Nelson Piquet back to the sport - after rumours that the Brazilian could be on the shortlist for the new Manor Grand Prix team.

Virgin is set to take title sponsorship of Manor for the start of next season and comments made by team owner John Booth about Piquet were interpreted by some to suggest that the Brazilian could make an F1 comeback with the new team.

However, Alex Tai, the Virgin board member responsible for group sponsorship who is set to become team boss when the lifestyle brand confirms its involvement with Manor, made it clear in Singapore on Friday that his company would never be associated with a driver who had broken the rules.

Speaking to AUTOSPORT in the paddock, Tai said he was not in a position to confirm Virgin's future relationship with Manor – but said that Piquet could never be associated with the brand.

"We will make our plans known after the end of the season," said Tai. "I don't believe it is professional to in any way talk about our plans while we are sponsoring another team this year, namely Brawn - who happen to be leading both championships and who I personally believe will win the championships.

"However, what I can say, is that as a director of the main board of Virgin, I can assure you that we would never have anybody in a team sponsored by us who cheats."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78880

Job Wanted

Name: Nelson Piquet JR

Pitch: Totally untalented, probably span out of more races than completed. Also willing to cheat for the team

:laugh:

Seriously, awesome performance from Lewis considering how much heaver he is than everyone else. Should be on for a win if nothing goes wrong. Brawn will also be rather worried by their lack of performance considering they are meant to be strong at these kind of tracks

Boring race. Hamilton did a great job though. And I think Sutil should get a penalty, what he did was really stupid.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he'll get a penalty. Wasn't the best decision he made :p