F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

wow! what a crazy awesome race this was. :D

first time i see JB race like this :p

poor Rubens. he asked on radio "what happened to the car" after 1st stop. poor guy.

conspiracy? :p

wow. great race.

Trulli. lmao

unlucky kimi. lewis punctured Rubens' car in last few laps.

One of Jenson's best drives of the season if not ever, a fitting way to capture the world title. Bad luck again for Barrichello, but Button is the deserving champion. Also awesome drives to 3rd and 4th from Hamilton and Vettel

Button is a world champion, that just doesnt sound right, its like saying kovalainen is wdc which is just wrong too.

Looking forward to 2010, were a real driver will probably get the wdc. Na just joking.

Fantastic race!, especially the flaming ferrari.

Well done to Jenson!!, although I'm more of a Hamilton fan :pinch:

I hope Toyota sign Kobaysushi, and that the title next year is between Hamilton, Jenson, Vettel, Webber and Alonso.

Plus I reckon Webber is trying to get a job with the BBC, for when he retires :laugh:

I hope Toyota sign Kobaysushi,

Tell you what, he was quite impressive, was holding his own against some much stronger drivers. To be honest though you could tell he was new to the scene, was doing some questionable moves.

in those interviews, JB seemed sooo desperate :p

Kobayushi had a superb race for his first ever F1 GP, but yes his moves were wrong (causing nakajima crash), but compared to other rookies, he was far more better. Toyota should have kicked trulli out in the beginning itself :p

some after race news:

McLaren fined for pitlane incident

The McLaren team has been fined $50,000 for the Brazilian Grand Prix incident that triggered a fire in the pitlane.

Heikki Kovalainen left the pits before the fuel hose was detached from his car and the fuel spilt sprayed Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari and caused a fire in the pitlane.

The stewards deemed Kovalainen's release had been unsafe and fined the team, also giving the driver a 25-second penalty that dropped him from ninth to 12th.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79602

--------------------------

Trulli fined for off-track behaviour

The Brazilian Grand Prix stewards deemed no action was needed following the accident involving Jarno Trulli and Adrian Sutil.

However, the Italian was reprimanded and fined $10,000 for his behaviour when discussing the incident with Sutil off the track.

Both drivers were forced to retire from the Interlagos race after making contact on the opening lap.

Although Trulli was very upset and blamed Sutil for the accident, the stewards deemed it had been a racing incident that needed no action.

A visibly angry Trulli argued aggressively with Sutil off the track, an action the stewards deemed was in breach of the sporting rules.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79597

-------------------------------

Raikkonen: First lap chaos cost podium

Kimi Raikkonen says his first-lap clash cost him the chance of finishing on the podium at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Raikkonen had a very troubled start to the race, first making contact with Adrian Sutil and later with Mark Webber when trying to pass the Australian.

The Ferrari man was forced to pit for repairs and was later involved in a bizarre incident with Heikki Kovalainen in the pitlane when the Finn tore off the fuel hose when leaving his pits.

The accident caused a big fire right in front of Raikkonen's car and got fuel into the Finn's eye. :o

Raikkonen recovered to sixth position, but reckoned a top three finish was possible.

"What happened on the first lap ruined my race," said Raikkonen. "First I was hit at the first corner, then when trying to pass Webber, I was hit and lost the front wing.

"At the pitstop, I ended up with some drops of petrol in my eye, from the fuel line stuck on Kovalainen's car and then I was engulfed in flames and blinded: I was going to stop, but luckily the flames soon went out.

"Even now, my eyes are still burning, but I'm alright. After the restart, I could only try and use the strategy to move up the order and at least I brought home a few points.

"I am disappointed because today I'm sure we could have made it to the podium. There is one race to go: let's see what we can do in Abu Dhabi to get back that third place."

that guy drove the whole race with fuel in his eyes :o

Edited by san.W10

Jenson on Kobayashi

Q. How frustrating was it to be following Kamui Kobayashi for so long?

JB: That guy is crazy! I suppose it is just inexperience, but he moves a lot in the braking zones which makes it very difficult as Nakajima found out. Everyone else was tough but fair, he was a bit crazy and he will be put in his place a little bit more now.

:rofl:

Jenson Button on being world champion

Bloody fantastic action-packed race,. Excellent driving by Button and Vettel working their way up and also to poor Kimi who had the most horrible start, especially getting fuel in his face and eyes and being engulfed in flames. I feel really sorry for Barrichello though, he seriously has the worst luck on that circuit, I was seriously hoping he would go on and win the championship. Hopefully he stays with Brawn. It would have been great to see the championship won in Abu Dabi.

Oh and hell yea, Aussie Mark Webber won the race!

that guy drove the whole race with fuel in his eyes :o

That guy is never happy. Even after the race, when every other driver was congratulating Jensen and BrawnGP, all he could say was "the first lap cost me the race". That just narks me off, he's only out for himself, completely unsportsmen-like.

well what else you'd expect from a guy whose been fired from his dream team? :p

anyways, now he has an offer from Toyota.

Raikkonen has an offer from Toyota

Kimi Raikkonen has an offer from Toyota for the 2010 season, and team president John Howett believes the Finn could fit well in the Japanese squad.

"We don't play too many games," Howett told Reuters. "We put on the table what we can afford and what we think is a serious offer in the current market.

"I think genuinely we could work well with him, give him a car that's quick."

He added: "We have had very good relationships with Scandinavian drivers in the rallying times that enjoy life and it works very well, so we could cope with it as a team."

Raikkonen is yet to decide on his future after agreeing to leave the Ferrari team a year before the end of his contract in order to make way for Fernando Alonso.

The Finn has made it clear that he is only interested in staying in Formula 1 if he can fight for wins straight away.

Howett, who had insisted it was very unlikely that Jarno Trulli would stay at the team next year, said the Italian has an offer from Toyota.

He also said the team is still in talks with Timo Glock.

"With both drivers we are still maintaining a degree of discussion," said Howett.

"We have put an offer on the table with Jarno, I think that he himself is not dissatisfied with the financial offer, the bottom line to some extent is certain issues on the contract and I don't think they are negotiable from our side.

"He may well be in the car next year but it's not at all clear."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79631

i dont think he'll go to toyota, maybe Brawn :D

i dont think he'll go to toyota, maybe Brawn :D

BrawnGP this year has embodied team work, hard grafting and coolness in a way no other team have. Kimi is just not that guy, I can't see him working well in such a team. Even people in the Hammilton camp don't want him at Maclaren

That guy is never happy. Even after the race, when every other driver was congratulating Jensen and BrawnGP, all he could say was "the first lap cost me the race". That just narks me off, he's only out for himself, completely unsportsmen-like.

That's raikkonen all over, arrogance personified.

BrawnGP this year has embodied team work, hard grafting and coolness in a way no other team have. Kimi is just not that guy, I can't see him working well in such a team. Even people in the Hammilton camp don't want him at Maclaren

Agreed, I am not sure that I want him back at McLaren either, I think his best days are past him. Personally i'd like to see Rosberg get the second McLaren seat

Rosberg in McLaren = his career over, just like DC's :p

no KERS next year.

is refueling ban good or bad?

imo, its kind of bad, no more race strategies.

tyre pit stops would take merely 4secs. max for all.

so, whoever takes pole, will win most of the times.

I don't see how banning refueling is going to save money. They will still have to have use the refuel rig over the weekend, and the amount of fuel used will be the same. It means you'll most likely finish where you started on the grid, no more light vs heavy cars.. It just cuts down the excitement..year after year.

I don't see how banning refueling is going to save money. They will still have to have use the refuel rig over the weekend, and the amount of fuel used will be the same. It means you'll most likely finish where you started on the grid, no more light vs heavy cars.. It just cuts down the excitement..year after year.

Cuts down on excitment, yes, but increases safety. That Heikki incident on Sunday was a good example as to why fuel stops are dangerous.

if anything, what happened with the fueling rig on sunday has changed the minds of anyone in the FIA that didn't like the rule, It will increase safety but non the less make it boring.

I hope BrawnGP sign Button and Rubens again, They make the perfect team, Sadly i think Brawn will be mid-field runners next season, they have only had a fast car beginning half the season because Ferrari and McLaren struggled with the aerodynamics, Once they got that sorted they have been very fast, Look at Hamilton (Future BrawnGP signer? - Hamilton and Button for Brawn would be win) the back half of this season...

The fueling rigs are utter useless, they need to be redesigned. Plus they should design the car ecu so that when the rig is in place it disables the throttle. If they can refill ships and aircraft while in flight, I'd be pretty sure they can design a racing fuel rig.

I say this because my dad works for a big fuel pump company who compete with intertechnique, sadly when the company was approached they turn down F1.

The thing is, Formula 1 fuel rigs are designed for speed and efficiency, most of the problems are caused by the teams in their haste to get their cars out of the pits quickly, but I agree apart from some possible safety benefit I don't see what banning mid race refuelling will really achieve, it will just make races more processional than they already are.

with what happened to heikki in brazil, it was the teams' fault, to be precise - Lollipop Man's fault.

what FIA can do is, install a 'bright light' on the steering wheel, which would turn ON when fuel hose is connected. this way even if the Lollipop Man makes a mistake, atleast the driver can prevent any kind of dangerous situation.

Kimi was lucky to close his helmet visor before the fire started, otherwise it could have been really worse situation.