F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

Massa: Alonso knew about race-fixing

Felipe Massa says he remains suspicious that Fernando Alonso did know about the deliberate crash plot at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix - but has vowed not to let it affect his future relationship with the Spaniard.

Massa spoke to Brazilian media during a get-together in Sao Paulo on Wednesday and, during the lunch, he said he was in no doubt that Alonso had to have been aware of the plans for Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in the Singapore event last year to try and help him win.

"In all, he is the least of the problem," Massa was quoted as saying by the Brazilian media about Alonso's involvement in the affair.

"It was the team and Nelson - but Alonso was part of the problem. He knew. We can not know it [but] of course he knew. [it's an] absolute certainty."

The comments created a huge media storm in Brazil ahead of this weekend's grand prix, and Massa and Ferrari moved to clarify the remarks in a statement issued on the Maranello team's official website on Wednesday evening.

In it, Massa said that his comments relate to a feeling he has rather than being based on facts, and he totally respects the FIA's findings from its investigations that Alonso was not aware of the crash plot.

"What I've said is the outcome of a hunch I've had and is not based on any concrete evidence," Massa said in his statement. "The FIA World Council announced that there was no indication that Fernando may have been informed of what had happened and I respect this outcome.

"Obviously I'm very disappointed about what transpired last year in Singapore: I have already said several times what I thought about it and now it's time to close that chapter and to look to the future.

"What is certain is that this episode will not mar in any way the relationship I'll have with Fernando when we will be team-mates."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79435

Massa is just sounding off like a jealous little baby because he can't get over the fact he didn't take the WDC last year. The FIA, and all the people indited for the crime have said that Alonso was neither involved with, nor had any knowledge of the plot and that is good enough for me.

Alonso cool on Massa's comments

Fernando Alonso claims Felipe Massa's comments about the race-fixing scandal will not affect his relationship with his future Ferrari team-mate.

Massa said yesterday that he was certain Alonso knew about Renault's tactics in last year's Singapore Grand Prix, despite the FIA clearing the Spaniard of any wrongdoing.

Speaking to the media on Thursday at Interlagos, Alonso was cool on his future team-mate's comments.

"No. I don't think so," Alonso told reporters when asked if a psychological warfare had been started by Massa's comments.

"I think first of all, I don't know what is true or not - maybe it was a misunderstanding with Felipe or the media or whatever.

"So it is difficult to know what is true and what is not true about what he said. Later he said a different thing. It is not very important for me, and I was not too worried.

"In the World Council it was clear in the statement that I was nothing to do with the Singapore 2008 [events], I was not involved in anything and I did not know anything. There is no doubt from that point on. I didn't pay too much attention."

He added: "It will not affect anything on me or our relationship. I still think that it will be great because in Ferrari, the group is more important than the individual – all the mechanics, the engineers, the people in the factory, the drivers, Stefano [Domenicali], President Montezemolo, and everyone is part of the team – a big family.

"I think it will be a good group and we will be a very strong team next year Felipe and me. Now that he is recovering well after the test in Italy this week, I think that is a very good news for the team next year."

Alonso insisted his relationship with Massa, who will visit Interlagos tomorrow, was just fine.

"I think it is good. There is nothing wrong with him. We fight a few times on the track, as we did in Barcelona in 2007 and the Nurburgring in 2007 as well.

"But then, last year I think we built a good relationship, a friendly relationship, I was supporting him in the last part of the championship because I really thought that Felipe had a chance to win the championship. In the end he didn't, and I am sure it will be okay – a good relationship like with any other driver."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79461

--------------------------

Barrichello plays down Massa comments

Edited by san.W10

Mario Theissen on the title contenders

Two of the present three world championship title contenders started their Formula 1 careers with BMW power behind them before moving on to other teams: Jenson Button (BMW.Williams F1 Team in 2000) and Sebastian Vettel (BMW Sauber F1 Team in 2006).

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen is thus ideally placed to comment on the differences in their approaches and characters ahead of Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix, which could see Button be crowned champion, or Vettel force a final round showdown.

Q. Would Jenson Button be a worthy champion, or would he merely have 'lucked' into it?

Mario Theissen: Absolutely a worthy champion! Whoever becomes champion after the sort of season we have had, deserves it. That applies to all three championship contenders, no question.

Q. He dominated the first half of the season. What is your opinion of his second half performance, has he performed sufficiently?

MT: A championship runs over a season to the end. If he was good enough in the first half to be able to carry sufficient margin into the second half despite having a weak phase, then he deserves the title.

Q. Both Jenson and Sebastian Vettel made their Formula 1 debuts with BMW power and both subsequently became the youngest ever-points scorers at those respective times, so you are well placed to judge them. Do you see differences between them?

MT: Sure I see differences in their characters. It is interesting that both drivers started their F1 careers with us. Both were very young - if I remember correctly Jenson was also 19 years old when he first tested for us. Sebastian drove his first (Formula 1) race at 19. Despite that they are totally different characters. But it is great to see two drivers with whom we had a relationship fighting for the title.

Q. Is it not ironic that the showdown occurs on the eve of BMW's withdrawal from F1?

MT: No, I don't see it that way, I see it as pure coincidence. To me Jenson was a driver who sort of stumbled into F1 in an easygoing fashion. The opportunity (of moving into F1) arose unexpectedly. He grasped it – and contested his first season in the same care-free fashion. I have known Sebastian for five years longer. He was 14 when he first tugged at my shirt and said that he would be driving for us the following season, in Formula BMW. In him I see an extraordinary mixture of talent, intelligence and professionalism. He proved that very early in his career, and has been able to convert that into results.

In his second Formula BMW season he won 18 races, and placed second and third once each out of 20 rounds, a hit-rate that will probably never be beaten – an unbelievable achievement. Effectively he has continued in Formula 1 in the same way: he established himself immediately, and at age 21 is now fighting for the world championship. Regardless of the outcome, that is a superb achievement. In Sebastian I see very early maturity. He knows exactly which factors need to come together in order to be successful, and he makes every attempt to ensure that they come together. Despite that he has not lost his sense of humour and laid-back approach.

Q. Do you believe that he is able to win with an inferior car, as he did last year in Monza?

MT: Yes.

Q. Jenson has not really proven that. Do you believe he will still be a front-runner in 2010, or could he be a one-hit wonder?

MT: That is pure speculation. So much depends on the car, but I believe both (drivers) will be competitive in 2010.

Q. It sounds as though you detect a slight lack of professionalism in Jenson...

MT: In those early days, yes, because although he knew what it was about, he was not as well prepared as Sebastian when he came into Formula 1. However, if you examine his conduct today – whether from a sporting perspective, fitness etc. – then he (Jenson) has certainly caught up.

Q. It is clear that Jenson's dip in performance since Istanbul has been influenced by his car, but is it not the task of driver to give the correct information to the engineers in order for corrective action to be taken?

MT: A variety of factors come into play in this regard, some of which a driver cannot influence. Obviously the driver is a key figure – and not only when he is sitting in the car. Naturally it is his task to get the optimum out of the car.

Q. Has Jenson got the optimum out of his car?

Theissen: You better ask him that, I am not part of his team.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79524

for me, its Vettle who deserves the title, if not for the engine failures, he would have closed the points gap to single digit.

i hope Vettle wins this race & JB finishes out of points position :p

Button is doing all the right things to throw his title away, this is starting to give me the 2007 Hamilton feel again. If its wet tomorrow the race could literally be anyone's, if it is dry I would expect Webber or Barrichello to snatch it. Looks like I am also going to lose a lot of points, I predicted a Hamilton win :laugh:

Brazil got some good races in the last few years, seems like it gona be a good race tomorrow again, i hope it wont rain as heavy as in malaysia, dont want the race to be red flagged again

well i dont like rubens, nor button nor vettel, but i hope rubens wins and takes 10 point out of button. I wanna see how button handles the last race with only a 4 point lead. I mean come on this guy had such a big lead and still performed so bad and all. In singapore he was so frustrated with the qualy, he had many outbursts. Well last race he would probably just be screaming understeer understeer into the radio lol.

Button aint no championship material, he was good at the start, probably because he was happy driving a car again, obviously as he didnt know if he will be on the grid, than he was just enjoying the moment, but once he realized he could be world champion he fell off, pressure got to him

Liuzzi last on grid after gearbox change

Vitantonio Liuzzi will start from the last spot on the grid for the Brazilian Grand Prix, after being forced to take a gearbox change as a result of his big crash in qualifying.

The Italian made it through to Q2 but was forced out when he spun into the pit wall and rebounded into the wall on the exit of Turn 1. Although he was uninjured, his Force India car suffered enough damage to warrant a replacement gearbox.

The five-place penalty for the new gearbox means he will now start 20th, and also means crucially that Sebastian Vettel will move up one place to 15th on the grid - right beside title rival Jenson Button.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79567

:D

watch out Jenson :p

Very crazy! Well done Heiki! Full hose error, and nearly sets Kimi on fire! lol. Alonso is unlucky, Trulli made a poor error, as Sutil had the inside line and didn't back off!

Love this crazyness!!

Spot on Jenson! Great race! Displayed World Champion qualities today with the way he attacked aggresively and those overtakes were A1!!

Well done BrawnGP for the Constructors Championship!

Congratulations Jenson Button! After so many years of hard work, it's finally paid off! Truly deserved!

Big congratulations to Ross Brawn and BrawnGP too! Fairytale Season! :D

That was the most immense race I've ever seen!

Props go to Jensen and BrawnGP of course, Barichello, Webber and Hammilton, great race.

I loved the commentators comment about Heiki, "leaves with his fuel pipe and sets fire to random Ferraris"