Why is 720 so popular?

I am new to HD so please forgive my ignorance and indulge me.

I'd like to know why there are more the lower resolution 720 movies and games coming out for HDTV rather than the better quality, higher resolution of 1080p? Even TV broadcasts are in 720 and not 1080.

I was really bothered to see the StarWars saga in 720 and not 1080. What's going on? Is it because a load of poor people purchased more 720 HDTVs as opposed to the little more expensive 1080 TVs? So now all of us who spent a $200 more on a more superior product have to suffer because of the poor masses.

I think the only game console that can output in 1080p is the PS3, so you won't see any other games at that resolution, and DVDs aren't 1080-anything. All Blu-Ray should be full HD. Everything else is 480i to 1080i.

HD TV broadcasts are generally in whatever format the show was made in, up to 1080i.

Because 1080p requires a lot more resources to play which is why games usually aren't in 1080p and a lot more bandwidth to stream which is why tv programming isn't in 1080p. 1080p is mainly for blu-ray and I'm sure the next generation of game consoles will be solely 1080p. TV programming I'm not sure about unless everyone gets fiber run to their homes. The minimal difference in quality between them just doesn't justify the cost that 1080p requires in both resources and bandwidth.

Edited by matt4pack

where are you seeing these 720p movies? because all purchased blu-ray movies should be 1080p. if you're talking about tv, then yeah 720 is easier for the broadcasters to send i guess. We probably won't ever have 1080p be the standard tv broadcast format.

as to downloaded movies being 720p, it's less bandwidth and resource intensive for a picture that's otherwise still very very good.

I think the only game console that can output in 1080p is the PS3, so you won't see any other games at that resolution, and DVDs aren't 1080-anything. All Blu-Ray should be full HD. Everything else is 480i to 1080i.

HD TV broadcasts are generally in whatever format the show was made in, up to 1080i.

Sorry mate, the 360 can do 1080p

OP: 720 is classed as HD, I may be wrong here but it comes down to the broadcaster. In the UK sky HD broadcast films in HD but theses can be 720 or 1080, for this reason alone you are a bit harsh on your " poor " comment , joe public will just see HD and but based on that. regardless of screen size or resolution.

Broadcast tv is often 1080i. Sport is nearly always 720p*.

*sport is normally 720p due to 1080i having issues displaying a moving ball on an interlaced output.

bandwidth wise 720p and 1080i aren't much different in terms of bandwidth, as each frame on the interlaced ouput has a similar pixel count to 720p. Its more complicated than that, but thats the jist... almost.

Also the difference in movies between 720p and 1080p is not that big. You really need a large (ie. 46 inch or over) TV to really notice any difference, unless you're one of these people who sits there analysing quality instead of watching the movie to enjoy it.

Since the majority of people don't own TVs that big, and because bandwidth is a big concern, that is why you don't see much 1080p content around other than games consoles and HD-DVD/BD.

Edit: Also it might be best if I make it clear that when I'm talking about the difference between 720p and 1080p not being so vast, I'm referring to movies. I completely acknowledge the fact that there'd be a big difference in PC gaming between these two resolutions, but the same leap does not translate to movies.

Edited by Phemo

Sorry, I don't mean to offend the "poor people" LOL, sorry :$

It's just that I feel cheated buying a 1080p TV and Blu-Ray discs that I'm seeing are of lower resolution, which I assumed to be because of the mass popularity of 720.

Please don't be offended, but I am learning from your comments. Like I said, I am totally new to this HD world.

It's just that I feel cheated buying a 1080p TV and Blu-Ray discs that I'm seeing are of lower resolution, which I assumed to be because of the mass popularity of 720.

Please don't be offended, but I am learning from your comments. Like I said, I am totally new to this HD world.

The only blu ray I know of that isn't 1080p is "Planet Earth". IIRC its a requirement of the Blu Ray Disc association to be at least 1080p.

Also the difference in movies between 720p and 1080p is not that big. You really need a large (ie. 46 inch or over) TV to really notice any difference, unless you're one of these people who sits there analysing quality instead of watching the movie to enjoy it.

Since the majority of people don't own TVs that big, and because bandwidth is a big concern, that is why you don't see much 1080p content around other than games consoles and HD-DVD/BD.

Coming from many years of PC gaming, I can see the difference in resolutions from quite far back. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'd like to know why there are more the lower resolution 720 movies and games coming out for HDTV rather than the better quality, higher resolution of 1080p? Even TV broadcasts are in 720 and not 1080.

I was really bothered to see the StarWars saga in 720 and not 1080. What's going on? Is it because a load of poor people purchased more 720 HDTVs as opposed to the little more expensive 1080 TVs? So now all of us who spent a $200 more on a more superior product have to suffer because of the poor masses.

I don't even have a HDTV at all. I do watch Blu-Ray on my PC though with my 22-inch LCD. So get off of your high horse.

That's why my poor ass got a 720. I had the choice of both, and had the money to purchase a 1080.. But I said why spend it when nothing really even takes advantage of 1080 yet.

Its just like anything else in technology. You pay for being on top, having the latest and the greatest, even though it may be months/years before its used mainstream.

Uh Blu-Ray discs are 1080i/1080p with a very few rare exceptions, are you sure your TV isnt just 1080P input capable with a lower resolution panel like 1366x768 than 'FullHD' 1920x1200?

The reason why TV shows and Games are 720p is the resources needed for 1080p are quite immense, for example TV broadcasts have a limited amount of bandwidth so rather than having to lower the bitrate and have a blocky 1080p stream they will drop the resolution to 720p which requires less bandwidth so can be better quality, as for games the current consoles dont have the processing power to display native 1080p games (with a few exceptions) so they use around 720p and then upscale the resolution to 1080p.

Unless you have a TV over 50/60" you wont see diddlysquat bit of difference between 720p and 1080p, so give all the 'poor people' a break.

720p is referred to as "standard HD" whereas 1080p is referred to as "full HD". Most TV networks broadcast in 720p because it's enough. The vast majority of HDTVs on the market are 720p/1080i anyway. They save on network bandwidth and still cater to the majority of HD viewers. As for games, the Xbox 360 and PS3 can upscale 720p games to 1080p (excluding native 1080p titles). It's really a matter of catering to the majority. If most people had 1080p TVs, then you'd see much more 1080p content. Of course, that only really applies to TV content.

Coming from many years of PC gaming, I can see the difference in resolutions from quite far back. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Me too, but a game is not the same as a movie. Maybe I should've clarified there - sure, in gaming there's a big difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 but the difference is nowhere near as vast with movies.

Most people don't need 1080i/p Whats the point in watching the news in HD? *shrug*

Its so rich people like TonyLock can fully utilise their small 1080p TV and not notice the slight bit of difference between 720p and 1080p so they can act superior because they have 1080p tv.

Most people don't need 1080i/p Whats the point in watching the news in HD? *shrug*

Yeahs. It's like with those new 120Hz HDTVs where some are now trying to sell higher cycle sets when it is just diminishing returns.

i think 1080p needs severeal gigabits a second bandwidth. but 720 needs only like 900megabits a second? i saw a article in a magazine somewhere but forgot where what detailed .

hell there's still a few people with a 480i> or less than resoluton tv so after EVERYONE is up to 720 p standards they will change the standard to 1080P will there be a 2160 P resolution ever anytime soon?

dont even bother with 1080i i read its just as good as 720P i just got me a 720P 32inch tv and im blown away just watching digital 480i clips then when i watch 720p clips on my computer i am just WOWED by the detail

720p is just the current standard. 1080p will take over soon

god damn poor people not buying 1080 sets!

ROTFLMAO nice back on topic though, 720p looks nearly as good as 1080, and it's usually half the size to download, 4.5GB vs 11GB

Programs don't air in 1080p because of bandwidth issues. But all Blu-ray movies and PS3 games should be 1080p.

And yes, I bought a 720p TV rather than 1080p to save money. I've read here and on many reviews/articles that the difference is minimal on a TV my size (32"). Even if there was a bit of a difference, a 1080p 32" TV would cost $300-500 more and I doubt the jump to 1080p on that small of a TV is worth the extra $300 or so. Besides, I have yet to watch anything 1080p yet because I don't have a Blu-ray player or PS3. So, I'm happy I bought a 720p and I'm sorry you have to "suffer" for this. :rolleyes:

i think 1080p needs severeal gigabits a second bandwidth. but 720 needs only like 900megabits a second? i saw a article in a magazine somewhere but forgot where what detailed .

hell there's still a few people with a 480i> or less than resoluton tv so after EVERYONE is up to 720 p standards they will change the standard to 1080P will there be a 2160 P resolution ever anytime soon?

dont even bother with 1080i i read its just as good as 720P i just got me a 720P 32inch tv and im blown away just watching digital 480i clips then when i watch 720p clips on my computer i am just WOWED by the detail

720p is just the current standard. 1080p will take over soon

afaik 1440p is the next accepted format, then 2160p. chances are though it'll skip to resolution comparable to digital cinema (<4320p)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision