Canon EOS 500D / Rebel T1i Announced

I absolutely despise the small body.

I want the 50D body with video, or even better, D700 sensor/body with video (EPIC WIN, can pay a lot for that)

I could see the d90 being the competition, though to me it seems like the d90 is still a little bit better...

With a higher resolution sensor, better noise control, and vastly better video (D90 suffers very much from its rolling shutter), and otherwise similar features, I really don't think the D90 is still a little bit better.

With a higher resolution sensor, better noise control, and vastly better video (D90 suffers very much from its rolling shutter), and otherwise similar features, I really don't think the D90 is still a little bit better.

Not really.

At first glance, the Canon EOS 500D / T1i appears to trump the D90 in a number of key specifications: the resolution is higher (15.1 Megapixels versus 12.3), the maximum sensitivity is higher (12800 ISO compared to 6400), tonal depth is greater (14 bits versus 12), and the headline movie mode can capture 1080p video compared to 720p. Like all Canon DSLRs, you also get free PC / Mac based remote control software. The 500D / T1i?s launch price is also comfortably cheaper than the D90, so Canon?s won the battle, right? Well not necessarily.

In its favour the D90 has a bigger and brighter Pentaprism viewfinder (96% / 0.94x versus 95% / 0.87x), quicker continuous shooting (4.5fps versus 3.4fps), more sophisticated AF (11-point versus 9-point), a sturdier and what most would agree was an ergonomically superior body, an upper LCD information screen, and in the standard kit, a longer and more useful 18-105mm lens. And while the Canon may boast 1080p video, it?s at only 20fps - as such many will disregard this option and class it as a 720p model, like the D90.

Ultimately the D90 is a more serious DSLR which will appeal to photographic enthusiasts who value build quality, ergonomics, a decent viewfinder and quick shooting. It may not match the resolution for stills or videos, but many will still prefer it over Canon?s latest.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EO...i/verdict.shtml

500D has all the same internals as the 50D (just like D90 has all of the D300's internals) and look at the noise comparisons between 50D and D90

Maybe it has more megapixels and what not but still doesnt look as nice as the D90. But I agree it will only make Nikon raise the bar even higher

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EO...D/noise_2.shtml

Err... I'm not too sure of the 5D Mark II, but doesn't it have prevalent rolling shutter distortions too?

Always thought that was the consequence of using a live view feed from existing DSLR tech...

That said, photographers do spend a lot of time talking about and worrying about their equipment. Probably far more than other artists.

Not a fair analysis though. I can't shoot a basketball game with a 18-55 kit lens and a camera. Too short and too slow. You need someting around 80-150mm and 2.8 or faster to get good shots.

You can't shoot a night football game with a $200 70-300 4-5.6.

There are limitations you can't overcome no matter how hard you try.

A painter can paint in any light.

Its like I can spend $500 on a fisheye lens I'd use like maybe a handfull of times per year. Or I could use my 17-50 at 17mm, take a few photos and use photoshop to creat one

I'm interested to see how it compares against the Nikon D90. I plan to re-enter the world of photography by the end of this summer. Originally, I wanted to buy the D90 again as well as my 50mm prime. Anyway, what's the release date for this bad boy?

• 10 months later...