iMac's worth the money

Why must that always get tossed in there? To imply that the Apple is more expensive, and that the buyer is a cheapskate if he 'settles' for a lowly Dell?

I never implied anything, you decided he would be a cheapskate if he "settles" for a Dell.

The entry level mac is more expensive than a mid range Dell or HP or any other Windows based computer, and you probably could get a upper middle Linux based computer, so why unless you "love" OSX would you buy a mac?

Life is about choice, I chose to buy a mid range Windows Vista based HP, that dual boots Slackware, and has a 8800GT so I can play games. I spent about $1000 for the pc and the video card 2 years ago and it's still running fine.

Honestly, how the hell is anybody on a forum supposed to know if item "x" is worth it to you? People buy Alienware and Mac Pros and they sure aren't worth it to me, but it seems they are worth it to somebody somewhere, right?

A lot of times people want to buy a mac so they can get the iLife. However, paying $200 extra for a mac so you can use iLife doesn't really seem right. If you're willing to pay the $200 extra to get a mac then why not pay $200 extra to get some awesome software to get a PC. For instance I can get

Adobe Premiere Elements & Adobe Photoshop Elements - $149.99

Mixcraft 4 - $64.95

Total: $214.94

While that may be a little of $200 it's worth to note that all of the above are higher quality than the iLife suite.

Edited by Omen1393

GEEZ! All the OP wanted to do was find out if it was worth it or not. Not a flaming time and fanboyism time. Let's get real for a minute:

Apple does not make the hardware, but does Dell? No. So, let's put that aside.

iMac is good if you want an all in one computer which is capable of running Windows in boot camp, blue tooth, built in wireless, built in web cam and microphone with a slim form factor.

The PC is good if you want the option for upgrading your hardware with ease. Just look at all the threads of people trying to upgrade their mac's. Truth be told, it is a chore, but also a labor of love. If you are careful and do it right, you can upgrade the hard drive and perhaps more. Not too many people tend to upgrade the other stuff because sadly, it is proprietary.

I am an iMac User, Windows User and Linux User, so you are not going to get a typical response from me like other people will give you, just real answers with real life experience.

Apple and Dell don't make the hardware but if you take that out of the equation of the price then you are actually paying a premium for OS X in that instance. That makes it very much not worth it to get any Mac.

Apple and Dell don't make the hardware but if you take that out of the equation of the price then you are actually paying a premium for OS X in that instance. That makes it very much not worth it to get any Mac.

That makes the assumption that every individual puts the same value on OSX and Vista for what they need, and how they use a computer.

A lot of times people want to buy a mac so they can get the iLife. However, paying $200 extra for a mac so you can use iLife doesn't really seem right. If you're willing to pay the $200 extra to get a mac then why not pay $200 extra to get some awesome software to get a PC. For instance I can get

Adobe Premiere Elements & Adobe Photoshop Elements - $149.99

Mixcraft 4 - $64.95

Total: $214.94

While that may be a little of $200 it's worth to note that all of the above are higher quality than the iLife suite.

When you see that some notable musicians like NIN and Portishead in their latest albums, used only GarageBand then it is tempting to at least try it and its hard to say there are better software when GB can produce some complex results. Im not saying it is the best, but I think we can agree it is fairly robust.

That makes the assumption that every individual puts the same value on OSX and Vista for what they need, and how they use a computer.

Without taking into account the production or design software only available on specific platforms like Final Cut or Coda.

This doesnt mean OS X is superior. It is different. People should have the right to choose whatever they want without others meaning about it.

Well, without the OS all you have is an expensive paperweight.

But in reality the cost of purchasing OS X really isn't that much more than Windows Vista...

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Version-10-5-...d/dp/B000FK88JK

So in the long run, you are just paying for a logo.

When you see that some notable musicians like NIN and Portishead in their latest albums, used only GarageBand then it is tempting to at least try it and its hard to say there are better software when GB can produce some complex results. Im not saying it is the best, but I think we can agree it is fairly robust.

While GarageBand is impressive, Mixcraft is a direct competitor to GarageBand. If you look at the screenshot, the UI is VERY similar to garage band. Personally I have never used it but i'm downloading a trial of it. (unlimited using no exporting).

While GarageBand is impressive, Mixcraft is a direct competitor to GarageBand. If you look at the screenshot, the UI is VERY similar to garage band. Personally I have never used it but i'm downloading a trial of it. (unlimited using no exporting).

Again, my response was not a debate about what is better, but that is not as simple as saying "Here, there are comparable software on Windows, dont use OS X".

OSX and iMacs etc do look nice. But you can buy a faster computer for the price they charge and use other software.

Again, that is assuming that every consumer has the same mentality.

Really people, is that concept so hard to swallow or what? There are people that still use Amigas for video processing or mastering audio because the software they want and know is for that platform and you know what? They work. Hell, there are people still using old SGI machines for 3D projects because they do work!

Here is a shocker: Not everyone wants/needs the fastest/newest.

I use a MacBook pro that is a year and a half old. Most of the software I use for my work production is for OS X. I dont care that is not the fastest laptop in the world, I care that works and if I take proper care of it I will still using this machine in the next 4 o 5 years the same way some people still use Amigas, Next Cubes, G3s or G4s, etc.

Hell, I know of a music production project using Commodores 64.

Again, that is assuming that every consumer has the same mentality.

Really people, is that concept so hard to swallow or what? There are people that still use Amigas for video processing or mastering audio because the software they want and know is for that platform and you know what? They work. Hell, there are people still using old SGI machines for 3D projects because they do work!

Here is a shocker: Not everyone wants/needs the fastest/newest.

I use a MacBook pro that is a year and a half old. Most of the software I use for my work production is for OS X. I dont care that is not the fastest laptop in the world, I care that works and if I take proper care of it I will still using this machine in the next 4 o 5 years the same way some people still use Amigas, Next Cubes, G3s or G4s, etc.

Hell, I know of a music production project using Commodores 64.

Oh, so instead of paying for something faster they should pay for a logo?

Oh, so instead of paying for something faster they should pay for a logo?

If they want to do that why not? Its their choice, who are you to dictate their consuming behaviours?

Its not like they are superior (or you, by the way). So why the debate?

Anyway, that wasnt the point onf my reply. How did you miss it I dont know.

If they want to do that why not? Its their choice, who are you to dictate their consuming behaviours?

Its not like they are superior (or you, by the way). So why the debate?

Anyway, that wasnt the point onf my reply. How did you miss it I dont know.

ROFL on the twist of words. Classic arguing technique there.

I'm just stating the fact...they are paying for a logo and that's it. Funny, isn't it?

ROFL on the twist of words. Classic arguing technique there.

I'm just stating the fact...they are paying for a logo and that's it. Funny, isn't it?

My God Im talking with walls here!

What twist of words? Why dont you even try to consider my post on its enterity?

Really, are you THAT dense? Or it is just easier to consider yourself "right" by ignoring the fact that everyone have different needs?

BTW: It is a serious question, I am starting to worry about you.

But being on this side of the "RDF", as it is called in a derogatory way, I am willing to cross over and see for myself.

RDF?

Reality Distortion Field?

Religious Desktop Feud?

That's a serious question actually, it's the first time "RDF" has come up in this thread.

My God Im talking with walls here!

What twist of words? Why dont you even try to consider my post on its enterity?

Really, are you THAT dense? Or it is just easier to consider yourself "right" by ignoring the fact that everyone have different needs?

What twist of words? You turned around my words and in fact inserted words into what I said. I just said that people are paying for a logo. You turned it into some weird conversion that I am dictating what people spend their money on. THAT is a twist of words. It's a classic tactic that someone losing a discussion will do to create a hostile argument. Been on the intarweb long enough to notice it when I see it. Got it?

What twist of words? You turned around my words and in fact inserted words into what I said. I just said that people are paying for a logo. You turned it into some weird conversation that I am dictating what people spend their money on. THAT is a twist of words. It's a classic tactic that someone losing a discussion will do to create a hostile argument. Been on the intarweb long enough to notice it when I see it. Got it?

Losing? Is this a competition? Ok I got it, you are not dense, just childish. Here is a tip for life: Not every debate is about winners or losers but about finding new answers.

In that case is the same thing you did about me. I never said they should pay for a logo, I said they should pay for whatever they need or feel more comfortable with. I dare you to find where I justify the Apple Tax.

Again, my response was not a debate about what is better, but that is not as simple as saying "Here, there are comparable software on Windows, dont use OS X".

I never said that you shouldn't use OS X because there are some comparable software.

I said that for the same price of a mac, you could get a PC with the same specs as well as some highend software that is comparable or better to the iLife suite. I just tried out Mixcraft and I will admit, GarageBand is easier to use. However all of the same features are still in Mixcraft.

RDF?

Reality Distortion Field?

Religious Desktop Feud?

That's a serious question actually, it's the first time "RDF" has come up in this thread.

Not sure if you are really serious... :unsure:

But the first time it was used that I saw it, I had no idea. You were right with your first "Reality Distortion Field" answer.

I'm not convinced that the "RDF" is all just a distortion of reality, or if there is truth there that people who haven't used a Mac as their primary computer just have never seen for themselves. Consider my wife to be a guinea pig. (remind me, also, to never let my wife get a Neowin account. If she sees I used "wife" and "pig" in the same sentence, I am a dead man!) :p

EDIT:

Losing? Is this a competition?

Just let it go. Some people have such a hatred for Apple/Microsoft/Linux/Pepsi/Coke that they like to spin fights out of nothing.

My friend just got a refurbished iMac for like $800 something and it looks brand new and performs wonderfully. My other friends were just shocked that it only needed one power cable and was ready out of the box with no bloatware. It just depends if people are curious about the Mac experience or are looking for it.

An iMac is not for everyone. I can certainly understand the need for a regular tower to upgrade or replace broken parts.

I don't think the iMac is worth the money. But I personally prefer a fast desktop computer. The iMac is just a Laptop that is on a desk and I don't think people should pay more money to have something on there desk that is as fast as there laptop. The whole point of having a Desktop is usually that its cheaper then a Notebook and offers more grunt for getting work done, the iMac doesn't really fit in to these categories.

What I'm getting at is, people are willing to make concessions for their notebooks that can only carry Laptop memory that is insanely expensive, only Dual Core processors and very slow mediocre graphics because the Notebook is light and can be used & taken anywhere. The iMac however is pushing Notebook limitations on to a Desktop system and that for me is not worth its price point.

But that is me. I need the fastest CPU available and twin high-end graphics cards and 6 or more hard disk bays with readily available & affordable 12GB's of RAM.

My opinion on the mater is not the same as someone who is space concious or sound concious or wants a computer that they can move from Home to University and back again at the Weekends. There is a lot of usage scenarios where the iMac just makes sense. I'm willing to admit that. For me I would not buy one. But I own a MacBook Pro 17" which a lot of other users here would consider not worth the money. I however do.