Star Trek Into Darkness

• 2 weeks later...
Cumberbatch to play villain in 'Star Trek 2'

On the heels of his well-received turns in "War Horse" and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," Brit thesp Benedict Cumberbatch has been tapped to play the villain in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek 2."

Cumberbatch landed the role that Edgar Ramirez had auditioned for last month.

Cumberbatch joins fellow Brit newcomers Noel Clarke and Alice Eve, as well as Peter Weller.

Paramount had no comment on the casting.

Abrams is directing from a script by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof. That quartet will also produce the "Star Trek" sequel with Bryan Burk and David Ellison through Bad Robot and Skydance Prods. Pic is skedded for release on May 17, 2013.

Cumberbatch has won a legion of fans for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes on the BBC series "Sherlock."

Source: http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118048137

I'm SERIOUSLY hoping the Enterprise gets a refit.... to something more attractive looking.

This. The exterior has promise... with a few tweaks it could be pretty nifty. The inside needs the most work... too much white, it looks like a hospital.

They should do something along the lines of this:

I think the ship looked fine on the outside, they could tone it down on the inside, lots of white and bright lights etc, but the exterior tried to stay as close to the original shows design as it could while also tweaking it a bit so it was new.

Personally I'm a big fan of the 1701-A as far as classic design goes. I really like the sleek looking 1701-E in the last batch of TNG movies as well.

I think the ship looked fine on the outside, they could tone it down on the inside, lots of white and bright lights etc, but the exterior tried to stay as close to the original shows design as it could while also tweaking it a bit so it was new.

Personally I'm a big fan of the 1701-A as far as classic design goes. I really like the sleek looking 1701-E in the last batch of TNG movies as well.

the engines are too fat and the interior looked silly in place, why did engineering look like a factory?

The 1701-E went through a couple of changes to it's design in the TNG movies, Nemesis showed how sleek the ship really was compared to the other movies. I also loved the 1701-A design as well, very classy, they really didn't need to do what they did with the new Enterprise, but it's not _bad_, just looks a little silly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Production has started. Presser -

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 14, 2012 ? Paramount Pictures announced that principal photography has commenced in Los Angeles, CA on the sequel to STAR TREK from director J.J. Abrams. The film will be released on May 17, 2013 in 3D. The 2009 re-launch of the ?Star Trek? franchise by Abrams was met with critical acclaim and a worldwide gross of over $385 million at the box office.

Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions present a Bad Robot Production of a J.J. Abrams Film. Returning to their posts on the Enterprise are John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Anton Yelchin. They are joined by new cast members Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

NOTE: also appearing will be Noel Clarke (Doctor Who) and Nazneen Contractor (24). Cumberbatch is rumored to be playing - Khan Noonien Singh

Continuing....

Based upon ?Star Trek? created by Gene Roddenberry, the film is produced by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The script was written by Alex Kurtzman & Robert Orci & Damon Lindelof.

Jeffrey Chernov, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers. The director of photography is Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC. The production designer is Scott Chambliss. The film is edited by Maryann Brandon, A.C.E. and Mary Jo Markey, A.C.E. The costume designer is Michael Kaplan. The music is by Michael Giacchino.

• 4 weeks later...

Today Paramount hinted that the Star Trek game previewed at E3 and to be released Q1 2013 will "pave the way"?to the coming Star Trek 2 feature film.?

If that 's the case then we may have a clue as to an alien race that's pivotal to the plot. In a sequence about halfway through the games trailer this ship flies through the frame -

e3frame-1.jpg

Which is a near dead-ringer for one of these -

cardassian-1.jpg

The Cardassians, which could also bring in The Dominion. Another frame seems to show Deep Space 9, which was originally built by the Cardassians and designated as Terok Nor.

Anyhow, here's the E3 game trailer. See if you can find any others.

Interesting. I always thought the Cardassians were a beta quadrant species in DS9. The green colour may indicate Romulan technology. Their involvement isn't a surprise. In DS9, they helped the Cardassians build a ship with cloaking technology.

• 2 months later...

qAy0W.jpg

Now, a reader for Ain't It Cool News sent the following spoilers for the J.J. Abrams-directed film to the site. The spoilers reveal whether or not Leonard Nimoy will reprise his role as older Spock, who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing and a battle scene in the film. Despite AICN saying that "there is a strong "credibility of circumstance" here", the following info hasn't been officially confirmed, so take the info with a grain of salt until we receive further confirmation.

The Spoilers.

Leonard Nimoy's Spock is definitely in the film and will have long and "stately" robes.

Benedict Cumberbatch = Khan.

There's a "deep space" smackdown between Kirk and Khan in space suits. "Flying" suits per my contact.

Interesting. I always thought the Cardassians were a beta quadrant species in DS9. The green colour may indicate Romulan technology. Their involvement isn't a surprise. In DS9, they helped the Cardassians build a ship with cloaking technology.

Cardassia is very much an Alpha Quadrant planet.

Man I can't wait, i've must have watched the older and new movies over and over 10+ times so far. I know 2012 is looking like a busy year so it's best to release the sequel in 2013 but damnit, so long!

Can't wait to find out what changes they've done as far as the ship and the interior goes. The way the bridge was setup in the first was too bright and seemed way too busy compared to the past versions in the tv series and movies. They really need to tone down all the lighting going on.

Can't wait to find out what changes they've done as far as the ship and the interior goes. The way the bridge was setup in the first was too bright and seemed way too busy compared to the past versions in the tv series and movies. They really need to tone down all the lighting going on.

I quite liked the bridge. My only problem with the ship was the engine room - it just didn't look like an engine room. it just looked like a generic mess of entirely random pipes and vats to me. I later found out they decided to use a brewery to film it in which probably explained how odd it looked, this time I hope they actually kept enough money in the budget for a real one!

I quite liked the bridge. My only problem with the ship was the engine room - it just didn't look like an engine room. it just looked like a generic mess of entirely random pipes and vats to me. I later found out they decided to use a brewery to film it in which probably explained how odd it looked, this time I hope they actually kept enough money in the budget for a real one!

Don't they sorta show the classic one with the vertical warp core at the very end? Or well, you see more of a reflection off of a glass really, heh. That whole water pipe thing was fine to me, I mean the ships gotta have more to it than what we're use to seeing in the past.

qAy0W.jpg

Now, a reader for Ain't It Cool News sent the following spoilers for the J.J. Abrams-directed film to the site. The spoilers reveal whether or not Leonard Nimoy will reprise his role as older Spock, who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing and a battle scene in the film. Despite AICN saying that "there is a strong "credibility of circumstance" here", the following info hasn't been officially confirmed, so take the info with a grain of salt until we receive further confirmation.

The Spoilers.

Leonard Nimoy's Spock is definitely in the film and will have long and "stately" robes.

Benedict Cumberbatch = Khan.

There's a "deep space" smackdown between Kirk and Khan in space suits. "Flying" suits per my contact.

I don't whether to believe that old Spock will return because Leonard Nimoy very clearly stated that he was not going to return to any more Star Trek films to give Zachary Quinto the spotlight from now on....but then again, he has said many times in the past that he would never play Spock again and he has retired twice so who knows. Maybe he changed his mind.

I don't whether to believe that old Spock will return because Leonard Nimoy very clearly stated that he was not going to return to any more Star Trek films to give Zachary Quinto the spotlight from now on....but then again, he has said many times in the past that he would never play Spock again and he has retired twice so who knows. Maybe he changed his mind.

If it's something minor, smaller part than in the first movie, then it should be fine if he shows up again. He more or less stole the role in the first but his part was bigger and key to the story. It's also good to see how he's got that timing and personality still spot on from the old days. Man, it's just so hard to think of anyone other than Nimoy as Spock, it's going to take more than just 2 movies for Quinto to start to fill that role now.

I think that's the point, they wanted the "engine room" to look like it could exist today in the real world, hence the dirty, grimy, industrial look.

Thats one of my favourite things about Enterprise the series is how everything looks industrial, nothing is shiny and pristine clean.

I think that's the point, they wanted the "engine room" to look like it could exist today in the real world, hence the dirty, grimy, industrial look.

I get that, and yes it shouldn't be carpetted and touchscreens with no fingerprints like it was in TNG. But the location they shot in was more akin to a water-plant or brewery. They should have taken inspiration from a friggate's engine room or such. It had no feeling of doing anything important - and it looked WAY too 20th century. Also, it was deserted!