Star Trek Into Darkness

I thought the moustache was hilarious so i decided a change.

I love the Star Trek movie ive seen it about 30+ times now i cant get enough of it, i love the soundtrack as well Michael Giacchino is a genius.

I'm going to laugh if this thing bombs out and nobody will want to see the sequal. :laugh:

Hahahaha. I'm laughing at you, all these months later.

I watched TWOK again the other day, that movie is timeless. I liked the bit in the new movie with the Kobayashi Maru test, that was funny, at least the klingon ships looked like klingon ships, glad they weren't changed.

• 1 month later...

So this film has a June 2012 release date, but does it have a story yet? John Cho says he believes that writers Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof have nailed down "a concept or an idea" during "a big meeting." But he hasn't heard any details. Cho's preference is for Khan to show up in the sequel, which would be "badass." [IGN]

I don't think we need 2 Khan movies. If Khan is in the sequel the only way I can imagine it'd work is if for some reason they stumbled across his ship earlier (because the timeline of the movie is still very pre-TOS) and if Khan succeeded in taking over the Enterprise, making the premise of the story Kirk and crew's battle to regain the ship. We certainly don't need an updated rehash of events that have already been filmed, so having a different outcome would only make sense. However, between the TOS episode, a movie, and a storyline in Enterprise involving other Eugenics leftovers I think we've all had about our fill of the genetically-enhanced super villain.

I don't think we need 2 Khan movies. If Khan is in the sequel the only way I can imagine it'd work is if for some reason they stumbled across his ship earlier (because the timeline of the movie is still very pre-TOS) and if Khan succeeded in taking over the Enterprise, making the premise of the story Kirk and crew's battle to regain the ship. We certainly don't need an updated rehash of events that have already been filmed, so having a different outcome would only make sense. However, between the TOS episode, a movie, and a storyline in Enterprise involving other Eugenics leftovers I think we've all had about our fill of the genetically-enhanced super villain.

What you say is true. However, I expect the outcome will be the same but the details will be different, given the change in the timeline.

If they re-did WoK, they'd logically have to do a mash-up of the original episode and the movie. Maybe something along the lines of Khan is a genetic experiment, late 20th century, gets found floating in a derelict spacecraft by <whatever ship will take the place of the Reliant>. Khan wakes up, does some horrendous ****, takes over <The Ship>, and goes on a killing spree. Epic battle between Enterprise and <Reliant replacement>, Khan dies. Smug looks on faces of crew, they all look at each other and give mental high-fives as ship goes to warp, roll credits.

Genesis Device, Genesis Planet, Death of Spock, all removed. Genesis was a hokey concept to begin with, new Spock is new, too soon to off him. New plot device would have to be developed in order to create Epic Rivalry between Khan and Kirk, something to really tweak Kirk. Khan has a superiority complex, so his motivation could be competition, weak but plausible. Khan could probably kill someone Kirk cares about, or something equally as disposable.

Hopefully no remake of the Kirk shouting "KHAN!!!" scene.

See, making a remake isn't that hard. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Kurtzman and Orci Talk Villains and a Setting for Star Trek 2

It's only been eight months since J.J. Abrams launched the critically acclaimed and audience praised reboot of the legendary Star Trek franchise, and while there are many hardcore fans who have cried fowl, there's still a vast majority of us who simply cannot wait for Star Trek 2. And if anything, the anticipation is even higher now that Paramount has set a release date of June 29th, 2012. Luckily writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci sat down with Coventry Telegraph's Geek Files and gave them another update with a hint of the various directions they might take the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise and the villains they may encounter.

First and foremost, it seems like Kurtzman and Orci are going back and forth on where they want to pick up the story. Orci explains: "We would never do a remake? it will be some time in the five-year mission. But that is a question. Should we pick them up immediately the next day or should it be later, we are still discussing that." So while speculation of immediately following Star Trek with a return to The Wrath of Kahn seemed like a logical conclusion, it doesn't sound like they're eager to remake any of the original films. But they know that they're going to need to tread the same path that Kahn did as far as providing a worthy adversary for Kirk and his crew. Kurtzman says the sequel gives them free reign for a challenging villain:

"I think our idea on this is that the first of any series is about them coming together or the formation. I couldn't really tell you what Jeff Bridges was doing in Iron Man, but it doesn't matter at all because it is all about Iron Man becoming Iron Man. Whereas I think sequels are very much about the villain. Because while [in the first one] the villain serves to bring the crew together, the second one I think has to be a true challenging of what that family is about. That is why Wrath of Khan was so amazing. Khan tested each one of them and ultimately asked for the [ultimate] sacrifice, and that is why that movie held up so well."

Just because they have a successful beginning under their belt doesn't mean they've breathed a sigh of relief. This is where the real game begins. Orci states: "Frankly I feel more pressure because we were so confident when we came up with the idea of how to bridge canon, and yet free ourselves from canon. Now we have no excuses for anything, now we are free. Now we don't have the benefit of low expectations." In fact, these expectations are nothing short of massive, and it'll take a lot to follow up the equally massive success of the first one. But it sounds like Kurtzman/Orci are up to the task. As soon as we hear more, we'll let you know.

Source

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Star Trek' Sequel Boldly Begins Filming in January 2011

The crew of the Enterprise will blast off the new year in style.

In an interview with Hollywood.com, Bruce Greenwood revealed that Paramount plans to begin principal photography on the 'Star Trek' sequel in January. The actor was being interviewed at the red carpet premiere of Paramount's 'Dinner For Schmucks' when he shared the news.

"I just know that the plan is to film it in January, more than that, I don't know," he said.

Greenwood played the role of Captain -- and later Admiral -- Pike in 2009's 'Star Trek.' However, it is unknown whether his character will be returning for the sequel.

Director J.J. Abrams will once again be plotting the course for the 'Star Trek' adventure, with most of the Enterprise's crew set to return, including Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock). Details of the sequel's plot are, of course, being kept under tighter wraps than most matters of national security.

The untitled 'Star Trek' sequel will hit theaters on Jun. 29, 2012.

Source

I want Klingons... Screw Khan, lol.

Heh really.. as much as I liked the reboot I can't see anyone else playing Khan, and I've seen enough of the Romulans and Borg in recent years, thank you. I would like to see them re-invent the old-school Klingons before they got "friendly", let them off their leash and go nuts. (Ok, that's one of the nerdier things I've said in a long time.)

Back? I didn't know he had left. :huh:

He's been noncommittal the entire time since the original (well, his original reboot) was released. He's never been out, he stated he wasn't sure whether he would return to direct or not.

I hope there's less. The first time it was annoying. The second time wasn't as bad, but it did, albeit slightly, made my experience less. Lens flares when there shouldn't be and then when they're too big or long... I hope it's more subtle this go around.

long time trek fan, kinda anal about not being a trekkie(don't ask lolz).

despite that i have yet o sit through a full seconf viewiing of st11. despite having watched every other trek movie many times now. i just don't get it.

nonetheless, i look forward to this next trek movie. something on the skal of wrath of kkhan without khan. maybe a badass klingon or something. they really have to get it right more so than last time. i gave them a lot of latitude with st11's universe changes.

also plz less lens flares and more enterprise beauty shots. most annoying part of st11.

I've watched the reboot like 8 or 9 times, 3 in the theater (once in IMAX) and the rest on blu-ray. it is freakin awesome and I got 3 sets of friends into it because of the reboot was something they could handle.

I'm so looking forward to this sequel. but wtf. filming in jan, probably take 2-4 months to shoot, then editing i know takes a while. but 1.5 years after filming begins it gets released?

I thought these days a lot of movies were fast tracked in less than half that time if they wanted to. Oh well :)

it WOULD be stupid to release it next Summer when HP 7 part 2 comes out.

I hope there's less. The first time it was annoying. The second time wasn't as bad, but it did, albeit slightly, made my experience less. Lens flares when there shouldn't be and then when they're too big or long... I hope it's more subtle this go around.

I was being sarcastic, lol. I completely agree.

• 1 month later...

Producer Damon Lindelof has said that the upcoming Star Trek sequel is inspired by The Dark Knight.

Lindelof is writing the follow-up with fellow Lost producer Carlton Cuse, as well as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

"We're looking at a movie like The Dark Knight, which went one step beyond Batman Begins," Lindelof told E! about the project.

He added: "It was really about something, and at the same time it was a superhero movie. We don't want to abandon all the things that made the first movie work... but we also really want the movie to thematically resonate."

J.J. Abrams is directing the update.