Star Trek Into Darkness

Love the movie! As a major trekkie I was obviously a bit disappointed they had to deviate from the present continuity and 'dumb it down' to an extent but understand it was a necessary evil.

I hope the next movie gets a bit more serious and dare I say 'grittier' than the last one. Having said that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and trust that they'll push out another fine star trek movie! :)

I think ole' J.J. did an awesome job of catering to the

old fans like myself while still reaching out to the new

generation. Each character was "introduced" in their

own right and, to me, shown the proper respect.

I've said it before... the bad guy took a back seat to

developing the actual cast and I liked it. Now, he just

needs to give us an actual adventure story for the

next one.

I need the original universe back. New universe was great but it cant destroy our original. Give me some links back and then do what you want. I don't really care as long as I see the original time-line back.

I need the original universe back. New universe was great but it cant destroy our original. Give me some links back and then do what you want. I don't really care as long as I see the original time-line back.

How would you propose they achieve that?

Producer Damon Lindelof has said that the upcoming Star Trek sequel is inspired by The Dark Knight.

Lindelof is writing the follow-up with fellow Lost producer Carlton Cuse, as well as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

"We're looking at a movie like The Dark Knight, which went one step beyond Batman Begins," Lindelof told E! about the project.

He added: "It was really about something, and at the same time it was a superhero movie. We don't want to abandon all the things that made the first movie work... but we also really want the movie to thematically resonate."

J.J. Abrams is directing the update.

Abrams still has not committed to direct the next movie. I really wish lazy journalists would stop assuming things and do some research. He's only signed on to produce right not, but it is likely he will direct.

• 3 weeks later...

Director J.J. Abrams and screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman recently talked about some of their plans for the sequel to Star Trek. Of course like always they have a lot to say without giving us any real details. But this time around they reveal that there is a possibility of a new villain being introduced to the franchise. A villain that they will create.

The interview comes from SFX magazine, and here are a few things that the Star Trek creative team had to say about the film:

Abrams: The universe that Roddenberry created was so vast. And so it's hard to say there's one particular thing that stands out as what the sequel must be. Which is on the one hand, a great opportunity. On the other hand it's the greatest challenge - where do you go? What do you focus on? But I'm incredibly excited about the prospects.

Orci: Introducing a new villain in the sequel is tempting because we now have this incredible new sandbox to play in. On the other hand, some fans really want to see Klingons and it's hard not to listen to that. The trick is not to do something that's been seen before just because you think it will be a short cut to likeability.

Kurtzman: Starting at a premise of what you want to see and then working a story around it is not how we do it. You have to start with what is the right story. And that if you can say "That's a story that Khan fits into", that's how you get to that. Not deciding on a menu list of items and then seeing if you can't string them all together.

Orci then goes on to explain that the next film will have a good amount of humor in it, which is pretty much what I expected in the film anyway. The first film had just the right amount of humor.

Orci: Humor is part of the franchise and I think it's critical, certainly to the Bones-Spock relationship. It's definitely a big part of the Bones-Kirk relationship. So, I don't see any world where humor doesn't play a part.

They should do a new villian. While Nero wasn't exactly....deep, he wasn't Khan or a rehash of another villian (well, maybe Shinzon kinda lol). If they want they can INTRODUCE Khan in the sequel, and set up the 3rd movie (which would be ideal imo if they wanted to go that way). Either that or do something with the Klingons and set up the 3rd movie. I think it's pretty obvious the next one will do quite well at the box office, so a 3rd would seem probable as well.

From his perspective he was the good guy in the original universe. The changes to the timeline happened after Khan was frozen and launched into space, so he's still going to be the same person he always was, but Kirk and crew have led different lives and the way they treat him when they meet may change his actions. Maybe he'll try to cooperate with them instead of steal the ship. Still, everybody is all about Khan Khan Khan Khan and personally I didn't like him very much. I'd be pretty happy if he never makes another appearence.

Isn't it a bit too early in the timeline for the Borg?

Well it is an alternate timeline, so things can change. IIRC, they were introduced in TNG, but were part of an episode in Enterprise as well.

Well it is an alternate timeline, so things can change. IIRC, they were introduced in TNG, but were part of an episode in Enterprise as well.

Yeah that's because of the incident in the TNG movie "First contact"

Wouldn't it be interesting if Khan was the good guy in this universe?

Get out of my head, ya bastage.

I was talking about that with a buddy of mine.

Khan was awesome because he was a real villain. He was smart, full of

himself and absolutely ruthless in his pursuit of vengeance. As for Nero,

I've said it before that I think they made the right move not turning him

into a very "deep" character. It helped make him the background story

and bringing the character development to the forefront.

I would love to see the Khan story re-told; considering how well the

new cast was introduced, I think J.J. could rock the hell out of Khan.

• 1 month later...
Did a New York Times article just give away a massive character spoiler for the Star Trek sequel? Judge for yourself. The article talks about how Roberto Orci brought his iPad to a meeting where the creators were planning the next film:
Mr. Orci, meeting with the producers J. J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, and his fellow writer Alex Kurtzman, jump-started the discussion with an iPad slide show, showing stills from the first film, snapshots of potential locations and a photo of a suggested actress for one of the roles. On the woman's photo, he had used his iPad to paint on a Vulcan ear.

So what actress do you think they're talking about? And is it true that they're looking to cast a female Vulcan? If so, who would it be? (Saavik, presumably, is too young, but there's always T'Pring. Or, just as likely, a new Vulcan character.) What do you think? [New York Times]

And here's the paradox...

Because it has been implied that the Borg were already seeking us out, hence they were kinda near our space already in "Q Who" - sucking up colonies and responsible for a few incidents on the Romulan side of the neutral zone. They started seeking us out because of the Enterprise episode.

That's Star Trek Online territory, it picks up where it deviates

I'm fine with the new timeline and I'm a long time trek fan, own all the movies and seen all the sereies except for enterprise which I've only seen a few eps of, but everyone said was way too bad anyways so I didn't bother. :laugh:

Anyways, I'm cool with the changes they did, the characters are still more or less just the same as the original time line they've only met different so it's not a huge shift really. And I'm all for a deep villan character this time, the first movies job was to develop the heroes so Nero wasn't dev at all, it wasn't his place or the movies role to do so.

Another thing that I wanna see is more smart ship fighting, the thing that made the original ST2 movie so great was the chess game space ship battle between the two going at it.

And here's the paradox...

Because it has been implied that the Borg were already seeking us out, hence they were kinda near our space already in "Q Who" - sucking up colonies and responsible for a few incidents on the Romulan side of the neutral zone. They started seeking us out because of the Enterprise episode.

Which wouldn't have happened unless the events of First Contact happened. Which would never have happened if Q didn't throw the Enterprise D into the Borg in the 2nd season etc. My brain hurts. Paradox!

I'm fine with the new timeline and I'm a long time trek fan, own all the movies and seen all the sereies except for enterprise which I've only seen a few eps of, but everyone said was way too bad anyways so I didn't bother. :laugh:

Anyways, I'm cool with the changes they did, the characters are still more or less just the same as the original time line they've only met different so it's not a huge shift really. And I'm all for a deep villan character this time, the first movies job was to develop the heroes so Nero wasn't dev at all, it wasn't his place or the movies role to do so.

Another thing that I wanna see is more smart ship fighting, the thing that made the original ST2 movie so great was the chess game space ship battle between the two going at it.

I thought the battle in ST6 was just as good if not better simply because of the SFX being 1 billion times more realistic, and the awesomness that was Chang.

"I can see you Kirk, can you see me? Oh now be honest Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, as it was meant to be. No peace in our time. Once more unto the breach dear friends." <--- Godlike. (And yes, even more godlike than Khan, yes I said it!)

No its because Q sent them to the Delta Quadrant in the episode "Q Who?"

No its because Q sent them to the Delta Quadrant in the episode "Q Who?"

I'm almost positive it wasn't the Delta Quadrant they got shot into, more over the Beta Quadrant or just deep into the Alpha Quadrant.

Either way, technically speaking, the Enterprise episode (and by default First Contact) are why the Borg knew of the Federation and were already on the way to Federation space in Q Who. It's a paradox, kinda like a self forfilling prophecy type deal.

I doubt the Borg would be introduced so early. I also doubt they even did anything in the alpha quadrant during the TOS era. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to a sequel. I recently watched the movie (again, in HD) and it's awesome. The direction they've taken with Star Trek in general is just awesome. It feels more real and gritty compared to the previous series and movies.

Why are we talking about Q and the Borg?

Are they going to appear in Trek 2?

we are just throwing ideas around at the moment , NOTHING has been confirmed baddie wise yet.

Why are we talking about Q and the Borg?

Are they going to appear in Trek 2?

My favourite episodes are the ones with the Borg - one of the main reasons why I love Voyager!