Windows 7 build 7077 - changes/bugs

I've got a 7057 which weights at 637MB and you ImageX it to the drive, takes 5mins then your up and running, fast as, services set on manual, most unused stuff removed but everything is fully functional, hardly any resources used, can handle a 512mb machine easy.

Wow. I never got it smaller than 1.26 gigs prob becuz I wanted to use full networking and Homegroups (to swap files/apps and even install over network mainly) and left Updates, Defender, Sec Ctr, and Firewall so I have option to turn on/off, which I don't turn off any longer because there isn't that much gain with the mem. mgmt in Win7.

U shud consider uploading that for the netbookies. When beta first came out there was a very popular LITE version even though it had a sticky notes bug requiring removal, so I started vliting to get around that and see if I could run any faster on my own 528 machines. But there is really no gain now that Win7 has perfected Memory Mgmt and service triggers, except for HD size on netbooks which often don't even have disk drive. Installing from USB flash is easy now with no bootsect'ing required, just follow David Chung's tutorial on TechNet to format NTFS as active primary and load the files. http://edge.technet.com/Media/Installing-W...B-Stick/?Page=7

Edited by gregrocker

Why not get used to the Show Desktop in the right-hand corner?

I did. :)

The computer will work around my whims whenever possible, not the other way around ;)

What I'm wondering is why the first installation welcome screen has a Windows 2000-esque window border and all subsequent screens have a Vista Basic/Aero theme... :wacko:

Saw your original post but there is only one other driver found for my Linksys WUSB54GSC v.2 wireless adapter and it will not take it. I am using the one on the disk which came with it.

Does anyone know of another driver for this adapter besides 4.170.61.0 from Jan 08?

Make it take it. Click update the driver, then click bottom choice(browse for a driver). Then click the bottom option again, Click have disk, browse to the driver, when it asks, tell it yes, anyway. Solved.

What I'm wondering is why the first installation welcome screen has a Windows 2000-esque window border and all subsequent screens have a Vista Basic/Aero theme... :wacko:

The very first one when booting from the DVD is just a WinPE application. They probably don't see a reason to change it (neither do I). The others are from the setup itself.

I wonder what they changed? My email program "The Bat" will not load. Never had ANY issues with Beta's from before. Tried compatibility mode but it's not working.

bugshy.png

The very first one when booting from the DVD is just a WinPE application. They probably don't see a reason to change it (neither do I). The others are from the setup itself.

Gotcha. Just seems a little inconsistent, and I know that's what a lot of people harp on, UI consistency... ;)

The Aero Basic theme is still utter garbage with no changes having been made to it. The taskbar color looks "alright" on the default background image, but try putting a red or green background up there.... :x That's a whole different, and ugly story. I really had hoped MS would change that disgusting excuse for a Basic theme... :no:

Nope, won't be an option. But there's an easy way to add quick launch again.

Unpin all your icons on the superbar, set it to small icons, never group, unlock taskbar.

Right click -> toolbars -> new toolbar --> folder (enter the next thing in the adress bar of that window): %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch --> select folder

Drag the marker right befor quick launch all the way to the left, next to the start button, then right-click the text of it, and uncheck "Show Text" and "Show title". Adjust widths the way you want them and lock your taskbar back up. Done!

Crud... I did this and it worked exactly the way I wanted until I rebooted. After reboot desktop gadgets no longer work and the taskbar icons of the running programs only show up as tiny single pixel wide slivers. Also I right clicked in an icon to delete it and the word delete from the context menu stayed until I launched a full screen app (World of Warcraft)

I wonder what they changed? My email program "The Bat" will not load. Never had ANY issues with Beta's from before. Tried compatibility mode but it's not working.

bugshy.png

All applications using Themida (and that's quite a lot of apps) don't work atm. Spotify for example. They all get the same error.

Wow. I never got it smaller than 1.26 gigs prob becuz I wanted to use full networking and Homegroups (to swap files/apps and even install over network mainly) and left Updates, Defender, Sec Ctr, and Firewall so I have option to turn on/off, which I don't turn off any longer because there isn't that much gain with the mem. mgmt in Win7.

U shud consider uploading that for the netbookies. When beta first came out there was a very popular LITE version even though it had a sticky notes bug requiring removal, so I started vliting to get around that and see if I could run any faster on my own 528 machines. But there is really no gain now that Win7 has perfected Memory Mgmt and service triggers, except for HD size on netbooks which often don't even have disk drive. Installing from USB flash is easy now with no bootsect'ing required, just follow David Chung's tutorial on TechNet to format NTFS as active primary and load the files. http://edge.technet.com/Media/Installing-W...B-Stick/?Page=7

The lite version i have has full networking and homegroups, but Defender, Sec Ctr and Firwall all removed and UAC disabled, Uneeded services stuck to manual.

Is it going to be fixed soon? Seems like a major bug if lots of programs effected.

Depends. If it's Themida that is the problem, expect at least a week for Themida to fix it, and then two more weeks until the applications update to the new version of Themida. If build 7077 is the problem, we'll have to wait till the next build...

All applications using Themida (and that's quite a lot of apps) don't work atm. Spotify for example. They all get the same error.

Same error my wife gets when trying to run the game Audition. Only in 7077 :p

Finally!

Thanks MS for listened us.

7068_change_welcome.jpg

I don't see where you can pick an image to actually change the welcome screen, as it says? :blink:

Would be really useless otherwise.

Also, did they finally increase the way-too-small file limit of 246kB? If not, you really can't call this "listening to us".

Anyway, 777 posts! :hump:

Yeah the thing that just gives it away is that it says 'Appearance' when it should say 'Appearance and Personalization', nice try :)

But yeah, that's how it should be if they release it, although i like the current welcome screen background the way it is :cool: