There are rumors too that a new UI is coming!

But if MS has been working on this UI from the get go, then I don't see what the problem is. They just haven't included it in the builds that have been leaked. No different really than what Apple has been doing with Snow Leopard and the rumored new UI for it.

Seeing as people are already singing the praises of 7 it has to be admitted it would be a risk to introduce it so late in the day.

Seeing as people are already singing the praises of 7 it has to be admitted it would be a risk to introduce it so late in the day.

Not really. The only people who are singing the praises are tech savvy people. I'm pretty sure whatever UI is introduced, those tech savvy people would be able to learn fairly easily.

How can Apple get away with stuff like this and Microsoft can't?

We are not picky, we just dont want to have tons of glass and fell like we were in an operating room. Having a darker UI doesnt not mean having tons of eye candy.

the orb it self or the shine it gives when you hover over it?

The orb itself. :x

The orb itself. :x

I love the orb. Just having the flag would be ugly, given ever since vista the flag gotten a different gradient from the xp flag. I fell the hover over effect needs to be toned down a little

post-281396-1239746555.png

Wouln't this be such a great improvement over the out of place start orb? 2dbvyub.png

No

It looks like another application like winver.exe.

Well yeah, thats exactly what it is. I didn't mean that it'd look exactly like that. There would have to be something that distinguished it from actual applications pinned to the new taskbar =\.

Well yeah, thats exactly what it is. I didn't mean that it'd look exactly like that. There would have to be something that distinguished it from actual applications pinned to the new taskbar =\.

Ummm...an orb?

Rofl :trout:, why not?

Because I like the start orb a lot. And as was just stated, your mod looks like another app or something. It's not differentiated from the other icons in the least.

The orb is here to stay, my friend.

No. You dont reall get principles of design it seems.

Sigh. I don't think anybody realizes that I merely meant the icon would be better suited (not a blue vista orb because it looks out place in the taskbar).

Future Desktop Now With Source Code

If you're like me, you probably got a little giddy when you saw the interfaces in the Productivity Future Vision video developed by Microsoft's Envisioning team. And if you happened to catch my behind the scenes chat about that video, you'll know that much of what was shown in the video (software as opposed to hardware) is possible right now with existing Microsoft products.

Let the games begin. Orkpad.com has taken a first shot at this kind of interface in Silverlight, and while it doesn't do a whole lot yet, I really like what I see. The UI is built using Ork's nRoute framework, and the source code for this "Future Desktop" is right here if you'd like to help carry it forward.

Tags: Envisioning, Silverlight 3

http://on10.net/blogs/larry/Future-Desktop...th-Source-Code/

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090228/...ion-2019-video/

Edited by MvT Cracker

No. You dont reall get principles of design it seems.

Those principles of design tell us that there are much better ways to display the menu's icon.

I agree that his example is actually worse, but the orb is not exactlly the best option either.

Those principles of design tell us that there are much better ways to display the menu's icon.

I agree that his example is actually worse, but the orb is not exactlly the best option either.

Bringing new UI is not a problem at all. It's fairly easy job. Why?

Obviously a lot of people don't know how the things are working but i will explain it as simple as i can do.

As .NET programmer, interface for Web Apps or Desktop apps is the last thing i need to worry about. The core of the process is gathering and passing necessary data. Once you have data it's very easy to display them in any UI form. If some Name is displayed on top or bottom it doesn't freaking matter as long as controls in UI are using same name which are called by code to store appropriate information in. New UI wont break code, and it never does.

This is what coming in one or another shape:

I've never seen that video.

Aspects of that user interface look fantastic, but unfortunately I highly doubt much, if any, of that will happen :(

I, personally, think it's unlikely we will see a major overhaul, but I'm hoping otherwise.

Sigh. I don't think anybody realizes that I merely meant the icon would be better suited (not a blue vista orb because it looks out place in the taskbar).

its meant to. Other wise it will look like any other application. Even if they switched it to a square, it will still look like any other application.

plus, it only looks out of place on the new, larger taskbar, but on the classic mode it looks fine

This is what coming in one or another shape:

"Coming October 2003", yeah that turned out well! :laugh:

I remember seeing those Longhorn concepts though and it looked totally amazing. Especially because Mac OS X was basically the only mainstream OS that incorporated a hardware accelerated GUI with smooth animations like those in the video, although on a lower scale.

We might see some interface changes like new icons to fit in with the cartoonish style some applications already received. I doubt anything massive though, but who knows. Apple introduced the updated Leopard GUI and new system + application icons fairly late into the game as well, so there's no reason why Microsoft can't do the same.