Codemasters reveals F1 game details

Computer games manufacturer Codemasters has revealed details of its officially licensed multi-format Formula 1 game to AUTOSPORT.

post-1302-1240476307.jpg

F1 2009 will be released in the autumn for the Nintendo Wii and Sony PSP, while a higher-spec F1 2010, with HD graphics and a more sophisticated gaming mode will be launched next year for the Xbox 360, Sony Playstation 3 and Windows.

The new game will be the first to feature world champion Lewis Hamilton, since the Briton had not reached grand prix level when F1's agreement with Sony came to an end in 2006.

F1 2009 will use all of this year's cars, teams and tracks - including the Singapore night race, the Valencia Marina Bay circuit and the new Abu Dhabi season finale. The game will also include KERS, slick tyres and the new aerodynamic regulations.

In-depth race simulators are rare on the Wii and the format does not lend itself easily to the concept, but Codemasters is convinced it can deliver promising 'new standards for immersion and authenticity' including a full season, individual arcade-style challenges and a multi-player format.

The PSP version will allow wireless multiplayer, while F1 2010 is expected to take full advantage of Xbox and PS3's thriving online gaming communities.

"Codemasters has a great heritage when it comes to racing games and their reputation is second to none," said F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. "We're working very closely together on the upcoming Formula 1 titles and are very impressed with what we have seen."

Formula 1 world championship leader Jenson Button added: "F1 computer games and circuit simulations can be invaluable for racing drivers so it's great news that our fans will also be able to experience the BGP 001 through this game."

Source: Autosport

and typical no mention of the PC at all :(
F1 2009 will be released in the autumn for the Nintendo Wii and Sony PSP, while a higher-spec F1 2010, with HD graphics and a more sophisticated gaming mode will be launched next year for the Xbox 360, Sony Playstation 3 and Windows.

:) Don't worry a PC version is coming!

Great news, considering how good Grid was, if they can so something similar with F1 I'll buy it!

I'd be looking for something less arcadey. The game better have decent options to do with the setup of the car, different tyre choices, proper pit strategies, changeable weather etc. The only guarantee about the game is it will look decent, the rest (and probably more important) is anyones guess and it can be either a crap or a decent game depending on the road they go down.

I'd be looking for something less arcadey. The game better have decent options to do with the setup of the car, different tyre choices, proper pit strategies, changeable weather etc. The only guarantee about the game is it will look decent, the rest (and probably more important) is anyones guess and it can be either a crap or a decent game depending on the road they go down.

Yes definitely something realistic with customisation options. I was more meaning the graphics of Grid and the physics engine for some high speed crashes :p

I was just discussing with my mate the other day that it's been a while since we seen a new F1 game. Can't wait to get my hands on this for the PC!

Really looking forward to this game. I picked up GRID the other week and I've been thoroughly impressed with it so far, so it looks like this is in good hands with CodeMasters (need to pickup Dirt soon too).

I'm sure they will offer options to control crash damage, pitting, weather conditions, driver assists and laps to satisfy all crowds. (Y)

I can imagine some difficulty simulating KERS, as everyone's systems are so different, the fact some teams haven't used it yet also makes me question how they are going to work that one out.

Great news, considering how good Grid was, if they can so something similar with F1 I'll buy it!

No thank you. I think you're getting confused between arcade racers and simulations. Although grid was a good game the same principle just would not work with F1. I presume it will be more like Gran Turismo and hopefully you'll have options to tweak the realism settings!

I can imagine some difficulty simulating KERS, as everyone's systems are so different, the fact some teams haven't used it yet also makes me question how they are going to work that one out.

While the KERS is different, its one of the easier things to simulate, get some data about how much charge is done under braking and the boost part is pretty set in stone due to the regulations, the harder part is the aero packages on the cars. If they take the cars at the start of a season and compare them to ones midway through the season they'll be different. Would be good if they offered free updates that updated the cars whenever they get new aero pieces but i somehow doubt that'll happen

No thank you. I think you're getting confused between arcade racers and simulations. Although grid was a good game the same principle just would not work with F1. I presume it will be more like Gran Turismo and hopefully you'll have options to tweak the realism settings!

As long as there are options for controlling crash damage, pitting, weather conditions, driver assists, laps and other things I don't see how this game couldn't appeal to both arcade and simulation racing fans. I prefer my racers on the arcade side to be honest. I found Gran Turismo got really boring, really quickly. :p

News is news I guess. Just a shame we have to wait a whole year, been waiting ever since codemasters got the contract :(

"Codemasters has a great heritage when it comes to racing games and their reputation is second to none," said F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. "We're working very closely together on the upcoming Formula 1 titles and are very impressed with what we have seen."

hehehe.... yeeeeaaaahhh....:p

oh well maybe they can do a proper sim for once. though honestly I never enjoyed F1 sims as much. GT racing is much better for sim games. F1 was fun on TV, of course F1 is dead now, dead 3 years ago and they keep killiing it more dead every year :(

good news! i ll deffo get that game as soon as its out for xbox and/or pc.

but its graphics need to be improved the screenie looks like its lacking in details.

F1 was fun on TV, of course F1 is dead now, dead 3 years ago and they keep killiing it more dead every year :(

Yes it much more boring now Ferrari are getting their own way less and less :rolleyes:

2007 - was extremely close and tightly fought till the end 1 point decided it

2008 - was extremely close and tightly fought till the end 1 point decided it

2009 - looking to be a very interesting year bringing closer competition across teams

Oh yes they are definitely the 3 seasons where F1 has felt dead??? When did you even last watch formula one? The early races this decade were the bore or racing decided mid season. And then there's the controversy and bore of Schumacher leading into final races and "accidentally colliding" when someone only 1 point behind is about to pass and the handed wins early in the season.

Let me guess you are a Ferrari supporter?