Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

Found em :D That guy looks pretty badass, sweet gun he has too.

post-11142-1241134706_thumb.jpg

post-11142-1241134717_thumb.jpg

post-11142-1241134726_thumb.jpg

post-11142-1241134733_thumb.jpg

That is H.R. Giger at his best!

If it's a true prequel and knowing Giger ideas and art the prequel could depict the aliens origins as paranormal beigns or from hell itself (a very bizarre and surrealist hell).

Edited by bauhaus

that's not a gun, that's a nav console, the space jockey is supposed to be a pilot or captain, he allegedly was the last living crewmember of the derelict ship, possibly the one who sent the warning signal to begin with.

what the crap is a chest popper, sounds more like a perv than a ruthless bioweapon :x

lol it pops out of the chest! and yea I didn't even know they were called space jockeys until now. I'd love for them to detail them in the new movie, they look badass.

If it's a true prequel and knowing Giger ideas and art the prequel could depict the aliens origins as paranormal beigns or from hell itself (a very bizarre and surrealist hell).

I wouldn't see that happening. Ridley Scott is very much a realist when it comes to films, most things appear very plausible, and never supernatural or paranormal.

I think the aliens were engineered by the Space Jockey, perhaps as some sort of bio weapon.

From what I've read the Spacy Jockey had found the eggs and took them as samples (cargo) when they started hatching and killed them all. Thats when they sent out the warning signal. So technically they could have their origin from somewhere else. I think them being natural/organic is a better explanation than a bio weapon. Why not create the aliens themselves, why bother with the whole face hugger/host process. I'd like to explore the idea of the face huggers than had to evolve to survive and then started infected species. :)

according to the expanded Alien universe, it's not known where the xenomorphs - aka aliens - come from. the space jockeys may have had something to do with their origin, or they may well have been simply transporting them when they got out of control. i tend to view the aliens as engineered, there's no reason for anything to have acid for blood except as an intentional weapon of last resort.

Ridley's 71 years old, how can he still be making awesome movies??! I'd love to see another Alien film if it was done properly..

Edited by Cryton

From what I've read the Spacy Jockey had found the eggs and took them as samples (cargo) when they started hatching and killed them all. Thats when they sent out the warning signal. So technically they could have their origin from somewhere else. I think them being natural/organic is a better explanation than a bio weapon. Why not create the aliens themselves, why bother with the whole face hugger/host process. I'd like to explore the idea of the face huggers than had to evolve to survive and then started infected species. :)

Ah, Space Jockey. So that's what he was called. Anyway, there are so many variations to the Space Jockey story. Ridley Scott's take on it is that the Space Jockey's ship was a bomber designed to drop alien eggs on an enemy planet. But instead of dropping the eggs, some sort of malfunction caused the pilot to become infected. However, James Cameron believes that the ship was a collector of some sort and was inadvertently infected by the Xenomorphs. The ship then had to land on the planet and the pilot managed to put up a warning beacon of some kind. The Space Jockey scene has to be my favourite scene in Alien. It was so intriguing and awe-inspiring. In any case, a movie that explores the origin of the Space Jockey and Xenomorphs would be great.

according to the expanded Alien universe, it's not known where the xenomorphs - aka aliens - come from. the space jockeys may have had something to do with their origin, or they may well have been simply transporting them when they got out of control. i tend to view the aliens as engineered, there's no reason for anything to have acid for blood except as an intentional weapon of last resort.

That's what I thought at first but I'm not even sure anymore. What I do believe for sure is that the origins of the Xenomorphs is still unknown and the Space Jockeys have something to do with it. A movie that relates to that would be nice.

Ridley Scott seems to agree with me:

The Book of Alien notes that the actors and crew felt instinctively that the Space Jockey was a benign creature, though they could not say why. In the bonus materials of the special edition Alien DVD, director Ridley Scott expresses the opinion that a film exploring the backstory of the Space Jockey would be an interesting direction for the series to take.

SOURCE

Ridley wouldn't rate it at PG13, it wouldn't be about the marketability this time around. Alien 5 alone would go a long way, one reason why people keep rehashing franchises, it saves a lot of money, having said that, we'll probably see more and more these days. I think the word "reboot" is thrown around a lot after Batman. I wouldn't go that far for both the new Predator and Alien movies.

i tend to view the aliens as engineered, there's no reason for anything to have acid for blood except as an intentional weapon of last resort.

Real good point. Didn't think of that, while at the same time they face huggers themselves don't carry many traits as the aliens do. The tail, bony arms and retracting mouth are the only common features. The rest are pretty bizarre in comparison.

anaron - read that as well, and agree the space jockey does look like a nice guy, but maybe that's because he's a victim. and when it comes to picking an explanation, yes, will go with Ridley's, he's the most responsible party re: Alien, if you ask me. Think most people will agree with that assessment.

The face huggers are supposed to be real different from the mature aliens. Don't forget the xenomorphs were created to be adaptive. Think elements of the Flood from Halo, which the aliens inspired...the xenomorphs become the species they possess, to a degree. So you had the more human aliens in 1 and 2, then the dog alien in 3, the newborn in 4, the predalien etc. This blend of species also lends credence to the idea they were lab-created. But it's up to old Rid to decide.

and let's not be agist now, 71 isn't that old, he's more than capable of making movies still, even if his last few weren't the greatest. Don't forget this is the dude that managed to get Blade Runner and Thelma and Louise done against the odds..it means a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Carl Erik Rinsch to Direct Alien Remake?

In April it was revealed that director Ridley Scott is ?toying around with the idea? of doing a Alien prequel or reboot. Bloody Disgusting?s sources claim that Michael Costigan, Ridley Scott and even Tony Scott are all on board to produce a new film in the Alien series, with commercial/music video director Carl Erik Rinsch at the helm. Rinsch is also a member of Ridley Scott?s production company RSA. No details about the plot or timeline (we?ve heard the words ?reboot? and ?prequel?), but apparently the plan is to return to the original idea of one alien on one spaceship.

I have compiled some of Rinsch?s more impressive commercials in another post called The Commercials of Carl Erik Rinsch. You must check out his work. Watching his commercials, it?s easy to see why he might be a choice for a 21st Century Alien film. He is able to effectively combine realistic visual effects with live action imagery to create a magically compelling story.

He's made some nice commercials, hopefully that will translate well onto the big screen. Everyone deserves a chance to make it big :) Regardless how many aliens there are, I hope we still find out more about where they came from. The whole alien vs humans has been done so many times already I'd like something a little more by now.

Sigh, I only want Scott or Cameron to do a new Alien movie. But, bleh. Cameron is to busy with Avatar or whatever, and Scott is probably to old or thinks he's to old to direct it :p

Prequel: Yes!, reboot: Absolutely not necessary IMO. The first movie was great. :)

But as for prequels... Sure, there are probably material there for even an entire trilogy.

No need for rebooting it.

The first Alien movie was great, the second one also, but it lost some of its quality in the newest parts.

I hope they do more films and games in that universe... Has lots of potential.

But please go back to the quality and do less multimillion dollar effects and more scary scenes with good music.

Sigh, I only want Scott or Cameron to do a new Alien movie. But, bleh. Cameron is to busy with Avatar or whatever, and Scott is probably to old or thinks he's to old to direct it :p

While I agree with you Ridley is still closely involved and this is all happening in house. I have faith he won't let it get out of hand and will step in to give guidance where necessary. I really hope we can get some form of confirmation for this as I'm really excited at the thought of seeing another Alien film on the big screen.

Exclusive: Tony Scott Confirms Carl Rinsch is Directing ALIEN. And it?s a PREQUEL!

A few days ago, Bloody-Disgusting reported that 20th century Fox was going to remake ?Alien? and director Carl Rinsch would be helming the movie. Immediately fandom exploded with venom. I think one of the main reasons is that the original is a classic, and 20th Century Fox hasn?t been making films of that caliber recently.

So at today?s junket for Tony Scott?s new film ?The Taking of Pelham 123″, I went up Tony after the press conference ended to ask him what was up with the remake.

The big news is he confirmed Carl Rinsch would be directing it and that it?s a prequel to his brother Ridley?s classic!

What Tony told me isCollider: 20th Century Fox is talking about remaking or redoing the original Alien. What?s going on with that?ng on with that?

Tony Scott: Yes, Carl Rinsch is going to do the prequel to Alien. He?s one of our dire

Collider: I?m going to be blunt about this. Fox has not been doing a great job recently with their movies. They haven?t been an artist friendly studio. Are you guys going to have some creative control and make this a kick-ass film? this a kick-ass film?

Tony: Yes! But Fox is our home. They finaceCollider: And I?m very happy that you guys have the financing. But a lot of the films they?ve been doing at the studio level, they?ve been nickel and diming and not giving fandom what they want. So I guess my question for you is?are you a little nervous about reengaging the franchise or are you excited. franchise or are you excited.

Tony: I?m excited cause Ridley created the original andCollider: When do you envision this film getting in front of cameras?ilm getting in front of cameras?

ToCollider: Will it be a summer of 2011 movie?ll it be a summer of 2011 movie?

Tony: Honestly, I don?t know.

While I wish I could give you more info, I only had moments to talk with him. Look for more ?Alien? info as I get it.

I'm just scared they're going to remake Aliens at some point (the second one) and screw it up all to hell. That was my favorite one, by far. Dated or not ... still feels awesome.

Edit:

I just read the post a few above mine. I swear to God is Fox screws this up ... it's game over, man. Game over. I'll disown their entire network. Block it on my television, filter it through my Internet, and even start up a WHY I HATE FOX website. I swear to God ...

That might be a little much heh. I do hope Fox gives them creative control and doesn't try and force anything on them. I think with a reputation Ridley has and especially with the series they will not pressure him to do some of the stupid things other studios try to get away with.