UFC 101 (Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin)

First Details involving Silva vs Griffin!

As expected a UFC 101 event will take place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, the UFC today announced.

The pay-per-view event marks the UFC's debut in the state of Pennsylvania, which only recently began the regulation of mixed-martial-arts events.

A light-heavyweight bout between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former 205-pound title-holder Forrest Griffin, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today, has also been officially announced.

The bout, which happened only after the UFC scratched a Griffin vs. Thiago Silva matchup, will share co-main-event honors with a UFC lightweight championship bout between title-holder B.J. Penn and Kenny Florian, which was also officially announced today.

The Wachovia Center, which is home to the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers, can accommodate more than 22,000 spectators, depending on the venue's seating configuration. Given the rarity of UFC events in the Northeast, Philadelphia's proximity to major-metro areas and a solid fight card, UFC 101 could reach the rare 20,000-attendance mark.

Tickets for UFC 101 are expected to go on sale soon.

While an anticipated main event between UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn and challenger Kenny Florian has not yet been made official, seven other bouts were announced by the organization today.

In addition to several previously reported matchups, the UFC also announced a middleweight contest between Ricardo Almeida (10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) vs. Kendall Grove (10-5 MMA, 5-2 UFC), and a lightweight showdown between Rob Emerson (8-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and George Sotiropoulus (9-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC.

UFC 101 takes place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

Almeida is looking to build off a unanimous decision win over Matt Horwich at UFC Fight Night 18 in April. The six-time UFC veteran had dropped a split decision to Patrick Cote in July 2008, snapping a seven-fight win streak.

Grove, "The Ultimate Fighter 3" champion, is currently riding a two-fight win streak. After suffering back-to-back losses to Jorge Rivera and Patrick Cote, Grove has bounced back with consecutive wins over Jason Day and Evan Tanner.

Emerson looks to rebound from a February submission loss to Kurt Pellegrino. The "TUF 5" cast member had been undefeated in his past six official contests.

Sotiropoulos will be fighting for the first time since an April 2008 TKO win over Roman Mitichyan. Injuries have kept the Australian out of action since the win. The 31-year-old has won six of his past seven contests, with his sole loss coming in a 2006 disqualification against current WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki.

The full card for the event now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian (for UFC lightweight title)*

* Champ Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin (non-title fight)

* Johny Hendricks vs. Amir Sadollah

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove

* Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino

PRELIMINARY CARD

* John Howard vs. Tamdan McCrory

* Dan Cramer vs. Matthew Riddle

* Rob Emerson vs. George Sotiropoulos

* Jesse Lennox vs. Danillo Villefort

* Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley*

* Rousimar Palhares vs. Alessio Sakara*

* - Not officially announced

Source

Florian's title shot is well overdue! I definately hope he does well against BJ Penn. However, BJ Penn is pretty strong at lightweight at the moment and I think he might be difficult to knock off the top spot.

I sure hope Griffin puts an end to Silva's boring game. Lost interest in Silva after his last fight. It was terrible to watch. A guy who wants to stand up vs. A guy who doesn't wanna stand up! :|

Silva couldn't help turning the fight into a sparring match. With that said, Forrest is a big thick man with the tools to manhandle Silva. Problem is with Forrest and his chin that can be suspect at times. I still see Anderson taking home a win.

I hope Silva and Penn get their asses kicked.

I can't stand either of them.

Penn is a whiny little bitch.

Make the thread interesting guys.

Silva a Terrible Fight for Griffin.

20090506125914_bigsilva.JPG&width_size=570

Most mixed martial arts trainers in Brazil have roots in jiu-jitsu or muay Thai, but Josuel Distak comes from the boxing world. There, he was recognized for his work under the head coach of the Brazilian national team.

In MMA, Distak rose to prominence as the boxing coach for fighters like UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Ronaldo ?Jacare? Souza, Paulo Filho, Demian Maia and Rafael ?Feijao? Cavalcante. Known for his ability to encourage and motivate fighters and his success in joining jiu-jitsu, wrestling and boxing together in the same exercises, Distak created his own brand of MMA training. Judging by the success his fighters have enjoyed, he must be doing something right.

Just weeks after Silva?s successful title defense against Thales Leites at UFC 97, Distak welcomed Sherdog.com to his gym in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He discussed Souza?s preparation for his Dream middleweight title bout against Jason ?Mayhem? Miller, Silva?s much-maligned performance against Leites and the Brazilian?s UFC 101 showdown with Forrest Griffin.

Sherdog.com: How do you respond to Anderson Silva?s critics after his fight at UFC 97?

Distak: Actually, we did everything alright. We trained Anderson to fight on impulse, action-reaction, but Thales didn?t give him much action, so the reaction was proportional. I believe Anderson did a nice job. He controlled the fight at all times, and he was never in danger. That fight?s over, and we?re thinking about the next one. The criticism we get is always a positive, because it makes us stronger. I think the criticism inspired [uFC President] Dana White to set us up with an opponent, Forrest Griffin, who will bring the fight. The boss wants excitement, and we?ll give him excitement. It?s a good fight for Anderson and a terrible fight for Forrest Griffin.

Sherdog.com: Why do you believe this is a bad fight for Griffin? Do you think Silva will show his normal aggression against him?

Distak: I have no doubt about that because Forrest is a guy who loves to fight, so he will give Anderson everything he needs to answer. If you watch his fights against opponents who attacked him -- like Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson and James Irvin -- he beat them all because they pressed him from the beginning. Forrest Griffin has the same tendency. I believe he will be another one we beat because he?ll give us the motivation Anderson needs.

Marcelo Alonso/Sherdog.com

Josuel Distak comes from

the boxing world of Brazil.

Sherdog.com: Some have said that Silva lost a lot of his aggressiveness after he left his muay Thai trainer, Di?genes Asahida, a black belt from Chute Boxe, and adopted a more tactical style under you. How do you respond to that criticism?

Distak: I analyze statistics. When Anderson faced Dan Henderson, he was already training with us; that fight had a lot of aggression and ended in a submission. Against James Irvin, there was a knock out. The last two fights, he was less aggressive because he had fought too much. He had a lot riding on that fight with Thales, not only to keep the title but to break the record of consecutive wins and [tie the record of consecutive] title defenses. Plus, there was the possibility of it going five rounds. People have to understand that it?s more difficult to keep a title than it is to win it. All that pressure can get to a fighter. Did you see the fight between Fedor [Emelianenko] and [Andrei] Arlovski? I didn?t see the Fedor I?m used to seeing in that fight, but he landed a nice punch at the right moment, knocked out Andrei and made the fans happy. Even so, he was not the Fedor we saw fighting against [Mirko] ?Cro Cop? [Filipovic] and [Antonio Rodrigo] ?Minotauro? [Nogueira], probably because he was overwhelmed by the hype. He won, and I?m sure he?ll return much better next time. I see the same thing happening with Anderson.

Sherdog.com: Why do you believe fans can expect to see the old Silva against Forrest Griffin?

Distak: Anderson needed a fight where he didn?t have the responsibility of defending the belt. It?s going to be a much better fight for him.

Sherdog.com: He?s coming in off of a five-round fight with all this pressure, and the UFC did not give him any time to rest. Plus, he has to fight one of the top guys in a heavier weight class. Is this good for him?

Distak: I think it?s very good for him because he has no pressure in a heavier weight class. The title is not in play. It?s three five-minute rounds. This fight will wake him up, and the fans will see the amazing Anderson Silva again.

Sherdog.com: Recently, Wanderlei Silva declared war on Anderson Silva. How do you see a potential fight between them?

Distak: That would be a great fight. Both come from aggressive schools, so I believe the man who?s best prepared and most skilled would win; that?s Anderson. If it?s for the belt, he would win however he had to, but if the UFC decided to promote it without the title on the line, I believe Anderson would knock out Wanderlei.

Sherdog.com: How do you see Wanderlei?s UFC 99 bout with Rich Franklin playing out?

Distak: I don?t think their games match up well. I believe Wanderlei will knock out Franklin with knees using the clinch.

B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian title fight official as UFC 101 headliner

The Ultimate Fighting Championship today officially announced the long-rumored title fight between lightweight champion B.J. Penn (13-5-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) and top contender Kenny Florian (11-3 MMA, 9-2 UFC).

The bout headlines UFC 101, which takes place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

A previously announced light-heavyweight non-title fight between middleweight champ Anderson Silva (24-4 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Forrest Griffin (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) serves as the night's co-main event.

"B.J. Penn is called 'The Prodigy' for a reason," UFC President Dana White stated in today's announcement. "He has proven to be dangerous in multiple weight classes, but he is definitely at his best at 155. Now the lightweight champ defends his title against top contender Kenny Florian, who has improved by leaps and bounds since his UFC debut on 'The Ultimate Fighter.' Originally known for his outstanding jiu-jitsu skills, Florian is now as well known for his devastating Muay Thai. Both of these guys excel standing and on the ground, so I am expecting nonstop action in this world title fight."

Penn, who makes his first title defense in 14 months, returns to action for the first time since his fourth-round TKO loss to Georges St. Pierre in January. Penn's camp argued that St. Pierre's corner men "greased" him up with Vaseline during the welterweight title fight and severely hindered his jiu-jitsu skills. However, an April hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission resulted in no action, and the loss will likely stick on his record.

Penn will now make his first lightweight title defense since a May 2008 TKO win over Sean Sherk.

Florian, meanwhile, goes for his seventh straight win since losing a bid for the vacant title in 2006. Florian suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Sherk in the fight, but he's since posted six consecutive wins (all but one via stoppage) over the likes of Joe Lauzon, Roger Huerta and Joe Stevenson to emerge as the division's top contender.

Bring it on baby. UFC 100 and 101 can't come soon enough.

UFC 989 this weekend.

989? :o

:p

seriously tho I wonder if it will ever get to 989 :D

• 2 months later...

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin at "UFC 101: Declaration" prime example of UFC's appeal

Middleweight champion Anderson Silva has won all nine of his fights in the UFC, the first seven either by spectacular strikes or submission. It made him arguably the most thrilling star in mixed martial arts.

His last two bouts, however, were a bit dull ? Silva displaying a lack of aggression against opponents who weren't all that eager to mix it up. UFC president Dana White echoed most fans in expressing his frustration: Caution is not becoming in cage fighting.

So in a testament to his almost complete control over his promotion, and an example of why the UFC's popularity continues to grow like a downhill snowball, White didn't hesitate. He set up a likely wicked battle that will end ? one way or the other ? with fireworks.

Seeing no one capable of standing and striking with Silva at 185 pounds, White got him to move up 20 pounds and face former light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin, who is known for his in-your-face, attack dog style. The two meet at UFC 101 Saturday in Philadelphia.

"I don't know what's going to happen when Forrest fights Anderson Silva but I know this, Forrest is going to go after him," said White, barely containing his giddiness at the prospect. "Silva is going to have to end the fight."

Just like that, White gave his customers a fight they wanted to see, an example of why MMA in general, and the industry-leading UFC in particular, has proven so addictive.

The combination of White's position of strength, the daring mindset of the fighters and the admirable, long view taken by fans of the sport allow the UFC to produce a monthly dose of Must-See (pay-per-view) TV.

"At the end of the day, I'm a fight fan," White said. "I'm a huge fight fan."

The significance of fights like these shouldn't be overlooked just because they routinely come together. This should've been nearly impossible to book. There is risk on all sides.

Silva is taking on a bigger man who is capable of overpowering him and smashing his aura of invincibility. Griffin is willing to bypass an easier challenge as he bides his time for a second shot at the title. Instead he runs the very real risk of losing to a middleweight.

Neither man hesitated.

"I want to fight the best, be involved in the best fights," Silva said through a translator.

"I'll fight whoever they put in front of me," Griffin said.

The way White rewards, and fans appreciate, challenge-seeking fighters means there may not be an alternative.

"Here's the thing about us," White said. "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you fight the fight."

This sounds ridiculous, something out of a cheesy sportsmanship speech. Only it's the truth. Both fighters want to win, desperately so. They will push themselves to the limit. There will be strategy. Yet both understand what the UFC is about. There's a reason Griffin is still a huge box office draw despite a 16-5 record.

B.J. Penn, for instance, lost his last fight when he tried to climb weight classes, yet no one thinks less of him as a lightweight champ ? he defends his title against Kenny Florian Saturday in the other main event.

"One of the great things about MMA is you don't lose your mystique if you lose a fight," White said. "Fans show up because they want to see guys go at it. That's what they pay for. And if you give them what they paid for, they are more than happy.

"That was one of the big problems with boxing," White continued. "You'd get all fired up for the fight that was about to happen, you and your buddies would buy the pay per view, and then the two guys would get in there and chase each other around. They wouldn't fight. And you'd walk away going, those mother [expletive], they did it to me again."

By controlling the majority of the best fighters in the world (one exception being the elusive heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko), the UFC has been able reward aggressiveness with big fights (and big paychecks).

"Guys that go in there and try to avoid a fight, we don't want guys like that fighting for us," White said. "A guy that [puts] on a great fight, I'll throw money at them all day. Even when they lose I'll give them more money than it says in their contract because of the way they fight."

One all-out battle begets another. This is the core of the UFC business model, how the promotion, in the middle of a recession, gets so many people to shell out $44.95 month after month. UFC 101 is expected to do more than a million pay-per-view buys. Griffin-Silva could've headlined its own show. Instead, it's adding depth to a card, helping maintain momentum from the monumental UFC 100.

If fighters had the free agent or multi-promoter power of boxers, they could hold out for greater money and control their image and record along the way. It's essentially what Emelianenko, who signed with Strikeforce this week, is trying to do.

Few, perhaps not even Emelianenko, have that power though. This is like when the old movie studios owned the actors and paired them up with scripts and co-stars as management saw fit. It may or may not be good for the fighters' immediate finances (they earn a fraction of top boxers). It is, however, an undoubted boon to fans. There is no Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez to sit through when all anyone wants to see is Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao. There are no 25-0 untested fighters.

White argues that this system is the only way MMA could get off the ground and the escalating payouts for star fighters (seven figures for a strong-drawing main event) prove it is working. He's correct. And one day, if things change and "free agency" arrives, fans will look back longingly.

In the meantime, you can dream of your dream fight and know the UFC is dreaming right along with you. Just about everyone other than Emelianenko is possible. You want Silva going for light heavyweight championship, even though he says he doesn't want to fight his friend, champion Lyota Machida?

"You work for the company, guys have to fight, even if they're friends," White said.

You want welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre to gain 15 pounds and take on Silva when he drops back at middleweight? St. Pierre said if that's what fans covet, he'd just need time to gain the weight properly.

Did you get frustrated when Silva successfully defended his title, twice, only in somewhat boring fashion? Fine, bring on Forrest Griffin.

You want this rematch or this grudge match or this chess match?

"We're going to make it happen," White said, pulling the strings as he pulls his sport to new heights.

BJ just can't get over GSP..

"It?s just my opinion that he uses steroids. I can?t hand you any proof, but that?s my opinion. In my opinion, he doesn?t play by the rules when it comes to steroids and growth hormones and that stuff. Look at him. He?s the worst. He looks like that every day. That?s cheating. There is a reason why there are rules against using steroids. The rest of us, we get fat, then we train and get skinny and the cycle goes over and over again. He looks the same way all the time. Come on."

http://mmamania.com/2009/08/06/roid-st-pie...r-gsp-physique/

So his "proof" is that GSP looks the same all the time and doesn't get fat? WTF?

Those comments were a bit ridiculous, but BJ has already issued an apology for them HERE

About UFC 101.. Florian by decision. I'm still undecided about the Silva fight, griffin is no joke so i really don't beleive that Silva will KO or submit him, i think if Silva wins it will be by decision. However i really think forrest is gonna pull out a win here which should send Silva back to the 185 division knowing that it's where he should stay. If Silva can beat Griffin at 205, with a notable win, i think it's gonna shake the 205 division a bit which could be interesting.

What I'd like to see happen and what will actually happen are probably two different things.

I'd like to see Forest upset Silva. Silva's last few fights have been utterly boring and for the most part unchallenged.

I'd also like to see Florian upset Penn, I cannot stand BJ Penn and was thrilled to see him get worked by GSP.

What will probably happen is Silva by decision and Penn by knockout.

I'd also like to see Alessio Sakara and John Howard win, and Kendal Grove lose :). It's always exciting though, enjoy the card!

Wow that Silva vs Griffon fight was strange. I'm speechless. The punch that finished Forest was just a tab and he was out, very strange.

it was because forrest was already hurt.

I can't wait for BJ's next fight, he can get knocked out by diego.

Wow that Silva vs Griffon fight was strange. I'm speechless. The punch that finished Forest was just a tab and he was out, very strange.

RUN FORREST, RUN!