WHO raises swine flu alert to 'pandemic level 5'

Makes me laugh reading the posts of the idiots who think they know best. It's one thing when the news channels over hype a story, they do it all the time these days, it's completely different when the WHO, people who actually know what's what, say a pandemic is immanent.

The WHO has also said you can treat it if you take the proper antivirals within a couple days of contracting it. It's a flu. If you feel the symptoms, you go to a doctor and you'll be fine. Hell, the 5 year old kid that contracted the first known case survived it.

It's overhyped, one way or another.

-Spenser

some of you need to start taking this situation more serious, we now have a death from it here. i have a bad feeling about this and im pretty sure the schools will be closing early for summer pretty soon. it was just announced that 3 counties by me may have infected people. im almost positive i will be pulling my daughter out soon for her safety. anybody who says this virus is made up is a plain, ignorant idiot in denial.

Ah but you forget that if you post on a forum then you're automatically elevated to being an expert, whether it be health, what MS/Apple are DEFINATELY going to do or not going to do, etc.

im not saying this isn't serious, because it is. But when the media starts talking about they media coverage of the event then you know they are just over covering it. Hell there was a study a couple of weeks ago saying that kids are now more scared of the news than monsters in their closet, I wonder why because every news stations is covering these crisis into the floor

Some girl a few counties away from me possibly has swine flu. Personally, i see these things as natural selection...and i don't mean that to be rude or negative, but let's face it, as a planet, we're overpopulated.

The WHO has also said you can treat it if you take the proper antivirals within a couple days of contracting it. It's a flu. If you feel the symptoms, you go to a doctor and you'll be fine. Hell, the 5 year old kid that contracted the first known case survived it.

It's overhyped, one way or another.

-Spenser

You're really not that bright are you. the WHO don't play around when it comes to something like this, if they say it's serious then there's zero reason to think otherwise.

And your statement that if you have the symptoms you just go to the doctors, well sorry to burst your bubble but there aren't enough anti-virals to go around at the moment and won't be for months. So if there is a pandemic then you better hope you get it first before they run out.

Coming from someone who obviously hasn't the slighted clue is so comforting.

Death toll has been dropped to 7, thousands were infected

No one from outside of Mexico has died (the kid in the U.S. came up from Mexico to get treatment but died in Texas)

I don't know how many cases have occured where the people have not been directly linked to Mexico, but I believe that's not a high number (I only remember reading about 1 such case)

Spanish flu... first reported case allegedly on March 11, 1918... then a few month gap until August... see the summer gap?

You're really not that bright are you. the WHO don't play around when it comes to something like this, if they say it's serious then there's zero reason to think otherwise.

And your statement that if you have the symptoms you just go to the doctors, well sorry to burst your bubble but there aren't enough anti-virals to go around at the moment and won't be for months. So if there is a pandemic then you better hope you get it first before they run out.

Oh cry me a river. There are plenty of antivirals to go around for the amount of people that actually have it. You can go ahead and live your life in fear of something you don't need to, but I'm not going to do that. I live healthy and I'm not afraid to see a doctor if I do get sick, which for myself hasn't been for over a decade. It's far less likely that this flu kills you if you get it than not (like I said, if a five year old kid can manage to survive it, I think most people can). You have fun being afraid though.

I never said it wasn't serious either, I just said it's being well overhyped. There's a rather large difference.

-Spenser

Death toll has been dropped to 7, thousands were infected

No one from outside of Mexico has died (the kid in the U.S. came up from Mexico to get treatment but died in Texas)

I don't know how many cases have occured where the people have not been directly linked to Mexico, but I believe that's not a high number (I only remember reading about 1 such case)

Spanish flu... first reported case allegedly on March 11, 1918... then a few month gap until August... see the summer gap?

Exactly my point you don't know all the facts or what conclusions can be drawn from things you do know, so therefore you're no different to the majority of normal folks including myself. Which is why there are organisations such as the WHO where they have the expertses to assess the dangers of things like this and why they don't play around saying something is serious when it isn't.

some of you need to start taking this situation more serious, we now have a death from it here. i have a bad feeling about this and im pretty sure the schools will be closing early for summer pretty soon. it was just announced that 3 counties by me may have infected people. im almost positive i will be pulling my daughter out soon for her safety. anybody who says this virus is made up is a plain, ignorant idiot in denial.

o_rly.jpg

2 things

1. The spanish flu was in 1918. Do you guys remeber what was in 1918?! The end of the first world war. Could you imagine what condition the world was in that year ?

2. We asked our microbiology professor today about this flu. She said this whole thing is simply stupid.

I'm a med student by the way.

2 things

1. The spanish flu was in 1918. Do you guys remeber what was in 1918?! The end of the first world war. Could you imagine what condition the world was in that year ?

2. We asked our microbiology professor today about this flu. She said this whole thing is simply stupid.

I'm a med student by the way.

One college professors' opinion versus WHO...hm. I think we're overreacting a bit but it couldn't hurt to be a bit more cautious. Me, personally, i couldn't care less at this point. More people die each day in motor vehicle accidents...a lot more people.

umm....whoever posted that video about martial law needs to go back to college and take intro to politics. martial law is when congress has the power to stop all debate and quickly pass or not pass a legislative bill. it has nothing to do with military rule.

One person dies in the US and you're getting upset??? How many people were shot in the US today? How many people died in car accidents today? How many people died in workplace accidents today?

How many people do you think die of preventable illnesses like diarrhoea or malaria around the world every day? How many die from starvation? How many innocent Iraqis and Afghanis have been killed by American soldiers in your name?

Have you considered taking your daughter out of school to cocoon her from any of the above? I think you need to get some perspective my friend.

People are never pleased... if they keep it a secret its "omg teh secrests and lies!!!!!111!11!1" if they go public "omg over hyped nothing will happen!!1!11!!!"

You guys don't seem to understand that they have to err on the side of caution. This is people's lives that may be at risk. You can't just sit back and pretend it might go away. It's like the weather people do when a massive hurricane is heading for the coast. You have to get everyone on alert even if it looks like the storm may never make it to land. The potential damage is what they are looking at, not what it is doing right now. It's just a guess, of course, but the best guess they have right now.

I sure am glad you guys aren't running this show.

For the people who say it's "Just flu" the last real biggie which was Spanish flu lasted from March 1918 to June 1920, so just over 2 years, and the average estimate for the number killed is around 60 million. That equals a nice round 2,222,222 people dying a month, so around 74,000 a day.

Whilst medicine has progressed a great deal since then with anti-virals and anti-biotics it still shows that flu can be much more serious than some people believe.

One college professors' opinion versus WHO...hm. I think we're overreacting a bit but it couldn't hurt to be a bit more cautious. Me, personally, i couldn't care less at this point. More people die each day in motor vehicle accidents...a lot more people.

Look ! She took part in many national microbiologycal research and you can't say she is just a college professor. She knows what she is talking about.

BTW the WHO still holds the h5n1(bird flu) on the 4th level .

The posts on this thread are just mind numbingly vacant of any logic whatsoever. Dismissing the WHO as fear mongering is one of the most pathetic yet funniest things I've read today. The swine flu is a real threat and WHO is raising the level to ensure that everyone will actually take action and take preventive measures. Unlike the SARS scare, the swine flu can actually be transmitted from person to person!

One person dies in the US and you're getting upset??? How many people were shot in the US today? How many people died in car accidents today? How many people died in workplace accidents today?

How many people do you think die of preventable illnesses like diarrhoea or malaria around the world every day? How many die from starvation? How many innocent Iraqis and Afghanis have been killed by American soldiers in your name?

Have you considered taking your daughter out of school to cocoon her from any of the above? I think you need to get some perspective my friend.

Seems as though this is bringing out all the idiots from their basements. How the f can you equate this to motoring acidents or Iraq? Oh, and since when has diarrhoea been an illness, it's a symptom.