• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

It's official.. iTunes is awful

Boz    1,344

No wonder Apple talks about instability in Windows. As soon as I installed their garbage software iTunes and Quicktime which is mandatory with it, my machine became completely messed up. Slow, lags, crashes and similar.

If I was a conspiracy nut I would definitely say that Apple deliberately makes bad software for Windows to make it cause stability issues. I've had the same problems with Vista on bootcamp on my Mac Pro.. as soon as I install their drivers and iTunes/QT the whole machine goes berserk.

I think I'm officially done with Apple and installing anything that comes from them.

Do you have issues with iTunes and QT and causing incompatiblities, constant graphics driver crashing or similar?

I just want to note that my PC was working flawlessly and smooth as hell before I installed Apple crapware. I just regret for buying anything from them so I'm tied to iTunes. I'll pay them one last time to unlock all my songs and find a way to rip my TV shows and I'm done. I can't stand this anymore. :(

Neo003    103

Ok just saying its official does it actually make it official? Back to topic exactly what problem you're having. You said your computer goes berserk (that means lot of thing including becoming a robot and killing everyone) but what kind of error messages it's giving or is it just lagging even after you turn off iTunes.

Jase    130

Never had any issues on Windows or Mac with iTunes..

If you hate it so much why not remove some of the installed stuff from startup?.. or better yet uninstall the app?

+Frank B.    7,151

Are you 100% positive that it's iTunes/QT causing the instability issues?

Sure, their UI is awful under Windows. Sure, iTunes is somewhat of a resource hog. But: I have never had any instability issues caused by Apple software under Windows.

Mike415    2
No wonder Apple talks about instability in Windows. As soon as I installed their garbage software iTunes and Quicktime which is mandatory with it, my machine became completely messed up. Slow, lags, crashes and similar.

If I was a conspiracy nut I would definitely say that Apple deliberately makes bad software for Windows to make it cause stability issues. I've had the same problems with Vista on bootcamp on my Mac Pro.. as soon as I install their drivers and iTunes/QT the whole machine goes berserk.

I think I'm officially done with Apple and installing anything that comes from them.

Do you have issues with iTunes and QT and causing incompatiblities, constant graphics driver crashing or similar?

I just want to note that my PC was working flawlessly and smooth as hell before I installed Apple crapware. I just regret for buying anything from them so I'm tied to iTunes. I'll pay them one last time to unlock all my songs and find a way to rip my TV shows and I'm done. I can't stand this anymore. :(

At least version 8.1 is better in terms of performance than before. It used to take me 16 seconds to load iTunes/my library and navigating iTunes takes forever. Click & wait..............................................

I know what you mean tho.

ItunesHelper.exe

Quicktime

Apple Mobile Device

qttask.exe

tries to get you to install Safari

All I want is to be able to sync my iPhone!

-T-    671

Since you've already got a mac, why not use itunes on there?

I've had no probs with the software on any of my machines, even on windows 7 it runs fine

MasterC    10

I've never had a problem with iTunes / Quicktime on Windows on the variety of machines I've installed it on.

Vice    1,593

I've never had any stability issues with iTunes under Windows. It runs poorly but it's never made my computer crash or act strangely.

Boz    1,344
Are you 100% positive that it's iTunes/QT causing the instability issues?

Sure, their UI is awful under Windows. Sure, iTunes is somewhat of a resource hog. But: I have never had any instability issues caused by Apple software under Windows.

100% absolutely sure. iTunes and Quicktime (quicktime is not 64bit) are causing graphics drivers to crash when I'm running another app that utilizes OpenGL or DirectX. When iTunes is running and I'm watching a show for example, the app will downright kill my system and very often crash either the graphics driver or the other application using the DirectX or OpenGL and then often iTunes crashes too.. I don't think it's necessary to explain that these problems only AFTER I install iTunes with Quicktime. On every single machine including a Mac Pro with bootcamp when I run Vista.

Not to mention resource hog, that nobody really uses Quicktime anymore and that it took them years to come out with 64bit versions of iTunes. Quicktime I'm guessing won't be 64bit, like ever.

I personally think that iTunes as an app itself might not be crashing, i think it's because it relies on QT that it causes instability.

I think I'm going to switch to Amazon. Sure they have their own flaws, but at least they are windows native and I had no problems like this.

Linky    0

I've always found iTunes and Quicktime to be ludicrously slow and unresponsive in Windows.

Boot Camp drivers, on the other hand, have always caused me problems. As soon as I install their drivers under Vista, I get frequent lock-ups requiring hard reboots. I can't even put the machine to sleep, as it won't wake. And the fact that they haven't put out any new drivers for more than a year now isn't great.

I'm thinking what you're thinking though. Windows on a Mac = Subpar. :(

Vice    1,593

Quicktime on Windows runs like a dog. Even on the fastest system money can buy it runs like crap. The Mac OS X version is so much better I don't get why Apple release such shoddy Windows products. I've had Quicktime crash on my Windows system and it messes with OpenGL/DX apps. For example playing a video in Quicktime while playing a 3D Game on another monitor is impossible Quicktime takes the entire systems framerate down so far its ridiculous, VLC and WMP11 however no FPS issue no performance problems flawless playback no compatibility issues.

I don't personally use iTunes for Video which is where I think you are having issues Boz ?

Boz    1,344
I've always found iTunes and Quicktime to be ludicrously slow and unresponsive in Windows.

Boot Camp drivers, on the other hand, have always caused me problems. As soon as I install their drivers under Vista, I get frequent lock-ups requiring hard reboots. I can't even put the machine to sleep, as it won't wake. And the fact that they haven't put out any new drivers for more than a year now isn't great.

I'm thinking what you're thinking though. Windows on a Mac = Subpar. :(

That's exactly how I feel. There were always some issues with the system. I really have a feeling they are doing some of these things deliberately. Might be nuts but it's really in their own benefit and you can't really sue them or anything cause it's free. Makes you think.

Right now, I'm purging myself of all APple. I would've sold my Mac Pro if I didn't need it for iPhone dev and other stuff that brings me money. But only Windows that's a good Windows is without an ounce of Apple software on it.

I don't personally use iTunes for Video which is where I think you are having issues Boz ?

Exactly..you run iTunes and shows you download and run Adobe Photoshop CS4 or any app that utilizes DirectX or OpenGL and completely messes up the system, slows it down and crashes drivers and apps. And I do think the culprit is Quicktime first and foremost. And I just had the similar experience with playing Left 4 Dead and running TV Show "24" through iTunes. It's always very symptomatic when running graphics applications or games.

sundayx    127

It's official, it's the user's problem. I have no problem.

Boz    1,344
It's official, it's the user's problem. I have no problem.

LOL how is it a user problem. An app that only works in some scenarios is a coding/app problem not user problem. I have no problems with iTunes features as an app.

Digitalx    17

tried different nvidia/ati drivers maybe ?

Lamp0    654

I have used iTunes as my main music player for many years on at least 3 different systems XP and Vista. I've never had huge problems.

REM2000    145

ive installed iTunes + Quicktime on a number of different machines without any problems, Windows XP, XP x64, Vista, Vista x64, 7 and 7 x64, and ive never had a problem with other apps. These machines range from laptops of varying sorts from PIII 650MHZ 256MB RAM to Lenovo 3GB RAM Dual core. To dell desktops quadcore Q6xxx an Q8xxxx, nVidia 7,8,9 series and ATI 9xxx series and ive never seen itunes cause a glitch.

There must be some conflict somewhere with the system,

PS i agree with the other posters, in that i have installed iTunes but it runs like crap.

Sikh    192

I for one have never had problem with iTunes. I run iTunes while using Photoshop or sig making or design work. Someting with 15-30 layters and I have flash open making a movie of some sort or animation.

I know its nothing of what you do, but My system has never gone slow.

Exspecially with iTunes 8.1 ive noticed a big boost in performance. I can open it within a few seconds like 5-10 seconds instead of like 15-20.

It has improved. UI, Speed, etc.

I have an iPod Classic. Had a iPod Video before that and I love apples products. My iPod video lasted longer then a 30 gig zune that any of my friends have. 1 has kept his like ive kept my iPod. In a plastic hard case and NO one touches it but me or him and his zune has crashed for no apparent reason. He even had to take it back becuase it did a Code 5 error and he was within warranty so he went back to bestbuy and they gave him a new one, but it was an 80 then it died then he got a 120 and he prays it doesnt die but for graduration he's getting a iPod Touch.

iTunes might be problematic for some people but apples hardware, is good. I prefer iPod > Zune, creative, etc anyday.

Exspecially when im getting an iPhone.

But, iTunes shouldnt do that. Must be quicktime. Uninstall it and see if your systme has problems.

+KibosJ    96

My iTunes never crashes and it's not slow at all :/ I have 0 problems with it.

Mike415    2
My iTunes never crashes and it's not slow at all :/ I have 0 problems with it.

Do you have two songs in your library or something?

+KibosJ    96
Do you have two songs in your library or something?

LOL :p I don't have loads of songs. I have about 3000 songs, about 10 Videos and about 50 Podcasts.

Keito    1

Never had any issues with iTunes myself on windows... only thing bugging me is the blacked-out quicktime controls in browser windows...

+Human.Online    8,998

I hate iTunes for the PC. I hate the UI, I hate how slow it is, I hate that it installs services that IMHO should be constrained within the main app.

But never had any issues of it affecting anything outside iTunes.

I don't think there is anything "official" about it being awful!

Boz    1,344
I hate iTunes for the PC. I hate the UI, I hate how slow it is, I hate that it installs services that IMHO should be constrained within the main app.

But never had any issues of it affecting anything outside iTunes.

I don't think there is anything "official" about it being awful!

It was more of a jokingly "official" :)

Just try running games and having iTunes run a video.. You'll see how much it will crash.

When you run iTunes by itself and smaller apps it's fine but go with hardware GPU accelerated apps and running video through itunes and you get crashes. Try it and report.

As I already mentioned it's probably Quicktime more so then iTunes alone, but the fact that iTunes needs QT it's the same crap.

White Cuban    0

simply put don't use itunes on windows, its retarded, every song you have, it creates a double of it in its own folder, how stupid is that? i was wondering one day why i had so little space then i found out it does that :/