[Official] Left 4 Dead 2

Valve Announces Left 4 Dead 2

June 1, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer thriller.

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC, L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles.

"A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008's top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games."

Set for release on November 17, the title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.

Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.

Featuring new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.

Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor, and Online.

"Left 4 Dead was backed by our most aggressive advertising campaign to date, and resulted in a top 5 showing on two platforms during holiday 2008," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original."

Left 4 Dead 2 will be featured as the cover story on PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazines this month.

If they don't want to send their dedicated PC fanbase in a frenzy, there should be a hefty discount for owners of the first Left 4 Dead. There will probably be one anyways - just don't know by how much. This is the first time they've released a sequel so freaking soon.

If they did this to Team Fortress 2, we should be on Team Fortress 5 by now :p

dont know why the need an entirely new game they couldn't just patch this stuff into the original. or sell it as dlc and have a seperate campaign

Still would rather see Counter Strike 2. :(

Oh well, always got the rest of the week. See what they come up with in private viewings.

Yeah it does seem a little bit against Valve morals to churn out quick sequels, they usually just add a TON of content to the original game until their ideas run dry. Which we love because it means free content for us :D

Maybe they needed a sequel this time around though to further the game?

Yeah it does seem a little bit against Valve morals to churn out quick sequels, they usually just add a TON of content to the original game until their ideas run dry. Which we love because it means free content for us :D

Maybe they needed a sequel this time around though to further the game?

It's far easier to massively market a sequel than a DLC/major update. That, and it's probably Valve's idea of staying afloat during the recession. :ermm:

As long as the content is worth paying money for a new game or go for a cheaper price such as what Rare did with Nuts and Bolts I'm game. This is Valve were talking about so I think it will be worth it. I hope they add more multiplayer options i hated versus.

OMFG YESSSSSSSSSSS. Ive been waiting for this forever. Im reserving this and buying it the day it comes out. Bad thing is, Modern Warfare 2 AND assassins creed 2 come out that week. Even thou im not buyiny assassins creed its still a busy week for gamers.

Also are you guys watching E3 on G4? or some other channel too?

This is either some sort of plot or experiment by valve, or they've just completely lost the plot.

From watching gameplay videos it looks to be the former, engine looks exactly the same and you see L4D's achievements popping up at various points.

I really hope they cut the price on L4D2 for original L4D owners... It'd be a shame to have to pay another $50 for an updated version of L4D so soon.

Haha I just watched the Trailers :) this is exactly the same game just modded with slightly different models and new maps.

They should be giving this for $4 instead of marketing it as a new game....

Wow, Valve just went down couple of notches in my book.... (N)

So it's different environments, but during the daytime?

That kind of kills off one aspect that made the first game fun - dark environments.

I have to admit that the incendiary idea is interesting, and using a frying pan is hilarious. Also the slight music remixes, it's an okay twist on the original music.

Wow.. never thought Valve would make a sequel THAT fast when you look at their history. :D

im sure there's no new engine.... just new maps/characters/weapons. in that case, im sure they can churn out a sequel pretty quick.

and yet still no Half-Life 2 : Episode 3. So much for a new episode every 6 months to a year...

The same game with an updated AI director, weapons, and 5 new campaings. I hope PC L4D owners get a dicsount but I think they might pull an 'orange box' on us and you get L4D 1 & L4D 2 together, then you can gift L4D 1 to a friend. -I still have my HL & HL:E1 gifts :p .