[Official] Left 4 Dead 2

Sorry but I just can't be bothered with reading 5 pages of this thread.

I have two questions:

1. Is this just an update to the original L4D?

2. Is there going to be a new engine or something?

I think that map is called The Parish, so yeah, it's New Orleans.

All the campaigns are set in Louisiana, unlike in L4D they're all linked (one campaign leads into the next).

L4D was originally setup like that, but playtesters didn't really like the repetition ("We escaped yay! oh no we crashed and are stuck again!"), I assume Valve worked out a way around that.

Not sure where this is getting lost in translation, but you appeared to be acting like you were ready to toss Valve to the way side for something they don't ordinarily do. It's like all this time, everything was peachy, then they do this one thing that is contrary to their norm, and that's it, they're dead to you. That's example is quite extreme, but what you seem like is a degree of that since you're questioning if this is even the company we've come to know and love.

Nothing of what I've said suggested you can't have an opinion. I don't like this either and since it's the only time Valve has done something so drastic and out of the ordinary, I don't see them doing this with their other products, so I'm not ready to write them off as you appear to be.

Nah, of course I'm not tossing Valve :) I'm just talking about this one incident. I don't care for what they're doing here, in this single event/game.

Stop whining about a sequel coming out so soon. There's a new Fifa/GuitarHero/SingStar every year and people buy them.

I'd rather get a new game with even more polish than spending the same in DLC throughout another year or two...

And I don't buy those games, now do I?

I'm looking at the information regarding the game, and tell me exactly what is new. 4 new characters? 4 new maps? 5 new weapons? No new modes? Nothing else? I'd rather have that as DLC than have to pay for a full game, sorry.

Sorry, when I think of a campaign I think of a single map.

I saw the special infected (you splitting them into two groups is silly), but what was the new gamemode? I didn't see anything new.

But there's a distinction between the horde (normal infected) and stuff like the Hunter, Smoker, Tank, Boomer and Witch (special infected)

As for the new gamemode, all that's know is that there's a new gamemode, Valve are still fairly tight lipped.

5 new campaigns (each campaign might be 4-5 maps long), new infected, new special infected, new weapons, new gamemode.

I have to say I agree with Ayepecks on this one.

What we've seen of L4D2 so far looks like a content pack, not a full-blown sequel. New weapons could just be a reskin with new sounds, I would hardly call new infected models new content and we've seen one new Boss-Infected that should of been in L4D in the first place to counter camping.

The content value seems less or equal to that of what TF2 has recieved for free in it's history. So far TF2 has gotten tons of new weapons, hundreds of lines of new dialogue responses, and 3 new gamemodes with lots of new maps. Not to mention there is another 3 more packs to come.

I don't particularly care for L4D because despite what they said about it's replayability, I quickly got bored of the game and went back to TF2. L4D2 seems like "L4D Fixed" with some extra content slapped in.

By the way, did anyone notice in the L4D2 content videos, that the survivors earn two of the original L4D achievements?

Sorry but I just can't be bothered with reading 5 pages of this thread.

I have two questions:

1. Is this just an update to the original L4D?

2. Is there going to be a new engine or something?

To answer your questions:

1. No. It's a new game with more maps and longer campaigns.
  2. It's going to make use of an updated Source engine. What the updates add is still a mystery.

I'm looking at the information regarding the game, and tell me exactly what is new. 4 new characters? 4 new maps? 5 new weapons? No new modes? Nothing else? I'd rather have that as DLC than have to pay for a full game, sorry.

Also, the new director. Supposedly the director can alter the paths, so i guess in VS mode when teams swap, the same path won't be open so they can't just do what the other team didn't do. The idea seems intriguing, but I hope they prevent Tanks from spawning at the beginning of the round, and also spawning tanks right before an event and they are stuck back there. I have had that happen to me a couple times where I could not get out and the tank just died.

But there's a distinction between the horde (normal infected) and stuff like the Hunter, Smoker, Tank, Boomer and Witch (special infected)

As for the new gamemode, all that's know is that there's a new gamemode, Valve are still fairly tight lipped.

Well, of course there's a distinction. But enemies are enemies. It's just like you separated the two for a new bulletpoint.

To answer your questions:

1. No. It's a new game with more maps and longer campaigns.
  2. It's going to make use of an updated Source engine. What the updates add is still a mystery.

It adds chainsaw, enough said.

I separated them because there's specifically a new special infected with a new AI, while there's only new models for normal infected (well to be fair, there's a new horde zombie that is immune to fire).

I have to say I agree with Ayepecks on this one.

What we've seen of L4D2 so far looks like a content pack, not a full-blown sequel. New weapons could just be a reskin with new sounds, I would hardly call new infected models new content and we've seen one new Boss-Infected that should of been in L4D in the first place to counter camping.

Yeah I love when on one of the trailers the player hits his teammate with an axe and a message on the screen says do not shoot at your teammate :) lol... the new weapons are reskins with much lower range damage, and new sounds. lol, lol, lol ...Gabe you lazy, lazy, little piggy

It adds chainsaw, enough said.

I was referring to game engine specific updates. :p

I separated them because there's specifically a new special infected with a new AI, while there's only new models for normal infected (well to be fair, there's a new horde zombie that is immune to fire).

Again, though, to me that's DLC/expansion pack features -- not entirely new game features. Just IMO. I definitely will not be spending my money on this unless there's a lot more added and until it goes on a Steam Deal sale.

No updates

That's highly unlikely. Valve always updates the Source engine with each new title. Whether the changes are small or big is yet to be unveiled.

Same thing all over again. I can't really say that i am excited much. Love that it's set in daylight, and chainsaw though.

Where's Episode 3 ? L4D just came out and already gets a sequel...Could have just released this as a DLC :p

Yeah, some news about it would've been nice.

Same thing all over again. I can't really say that i am excited much. Love that it's set in daylight, and chainsaw though.

True. It feels like an expansion to Left 4 Dead than a new game.

Thought I'd just post this here... :whistle:

Valve intends to support hotly anticipated zombie survival shooter Left 4 Dead post-release with new characters, new maps, new achievements and new weapons in order to grow the community, Gabe Newell has revealed.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at Leipzig Games Convention, the Valve co-founder and managing director said the developer intended to follow a similar downloadable content policy as it has with Team Fortress 2.

Left 4 Dead, set for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 21 in Europe, is primarily a four-player cooperative game that sees a group of Survivors battle through four 'Movies' and against 28 Days Later-style zombies called The Infected.

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.

He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community.

"So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."